shape
carat
color
clarity

Age of GIA cert?

LemonDelicious

Rough_Rock
Hello PS people. I would very much appreciate any opinions on the below stone, on paper at least. Here is a link to a video of it.

I note that the GIA cert is dated Jan 2019 - just wanted to check whether that's anything to be concerned about?

The clarity diagram shows no inclusions but has the comment: "Clarity grade is based on internal graining that is not shown. Surface graining is not shown."

E
VS2
Ex / Ex / Ex
Fluor: Faint
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.2%
Crown angle: 34.5
Pav angle: 40.8

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Hello PS people. I would very much appreciate any opinions on the below stone, on paper at least. Here is a link to a video of it.

I note that the GIA cert is dated Jan 2019 - just wanted to check whether that's anything to be concerned about?

The clarity diagram shows no inclusions but has the comment: "Clarity grade is based on internal graining that is not shown. Surface graining is not shown."

E
VS2
Ex / Ex / Ex
Fluor: Faint
Table: 55%
Depth: 62.2%
Crown angle: 34.5
Pav angle: 40.8

In answer to your question the date on the cert is fine, but based on the previous responses I would have concerns about the diamond itself. The proportions look good however.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to GIA, when internal graining causes noticeable haziness, it will likely result in a clarity grade of VS.

I would never want to see "clarity grade is based on (graining or cloud) not showned" even at VVS clarity level. For VS, it is a no for me

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a trade member I can neither recommend or criticize another vendor's stone.

However, from an informational perspective it is important to know that a lab report is designed to identify the diamond and to communicate certain characteristics to the consumer. Some of that communication is indirect, such as 'clarity grade based on (characteristic) not shown' on plot. Features like clouds or graining can sometimes impact transparency enough to diminish overall light performance, even when perfectly cut. This problem is more often seen in the Si range, but a VS2 should also be carefully checked for this potential issue by an experienced and credentialed independent gemologist.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A clean plot with the "Clarity grade is based on " is deceptive.
There have been a lot of people on here say "this diamond is so clean for a "vs2" that there is nothing on the plot."
When in reality the stone is hazy and dull.
There are signs in the video that this stone has issues.

I heard a jeweler tell someone that in person, I shorted so loud they both looked at me and what I said after that is not suitable for PS.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't personally feel GIA is being deceptive, and certainly not that they should be the subject of a class action lawsuit!

They have a reasonable expectation that qualified jewelers and/or appraisers will be helping consumers parse the finer points in evaluating a diamond and the lab report associated with it.

Having said that, I do think transparency is an important issue and I would like to see labs reporting on this in a more direct way. With all the amazing technology that is available today, it seems like there should be an instrument that can directly measure the transparency of a diamond.

Short of that, there could be something stated in Comments to the effect that "transparency is slightly/moderately impacted" or some such message that would be more clear to consumers, and to the trade.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am always wary of "clarity based on XXX not shown", ESPECIALLY in SI1/SI2 stones. In a VS1 or cleaner I wouldn't be bothered, but in a VS2 I would be slightly concerned and want someone qualified to inspect the stone

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Internal graining causing subtle haziness may result in a clairty grade of VVS.
Internal graining causing noticeable haziness may result in a clarity grade of VS.
Internal graining causing pronounced haziness may result in a clarity grade of SI.

Accoding to GIA

Attachments

• WN06A1.pdf
    399.2 KB · Views: 40

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can only find 3 RBC in 1.00-1.01 D-G VS2 marked by sellers as milky
1597359105277.png

The same in marked as none (of course some would be milky)
1597359161750.png
1597359203361.png
1597359236421.png

Not a big enough sample to be instructive - but for sure buyers will not pay as much for milky hazy dull diamonds.
But retailers often sell them to unsuspecting consumers as a bargain!
At higher mark ups.

[Edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results