shape
carat
color
clarity

AGBF''s Spinel is Set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring Deb! I love the vividness of the red against the white of the diamonds. I hope it turns out to be safe to wear!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid that there are problems with the spinel and I am trying to work with the people who sold me that stone and made the ring to see what we can do about that. I will let you know how things work out!

Deb

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Oh, no, Deb. I''m so sorry to hear that. I love that ring. It''s my inspiration for a future project. Keep us posted.
7.gif

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear Deb.

Lori

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh deb, i was hoping you would have better news
15.gif

well, thanks for the update. i hope you get everything worked out with the ring. best of luck.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2005 7:57:56 AM
Author: AGBF
I am afraid that there are problems with the spinel and I am trying to work with the people who sold me that stone and made the ring to see what we can do about that. I will let you know how things work out!

This thread tells the continuation of the saga :).

What Happened to AGBF''s Red Spinel Ring

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to try to contain the ongoing story of the setting of my red spinel to this thread. So if you visited another thread and found some pieces of the saga that are not here, fine. But this is where I will update anyone interested from now on.

I have not seen my ring in many months.

Pala Gems agreed to replace the red spinel they had sold me through DBOF. They did not find a suitable replacement, however, and I missed not having my brand new ring. (I had never gotten to wear it!)

Josh Hall of Pala Gems agreed that he would continue to look for an appropriate red spinel with which to replace the one in the ring, but said that he would, meanwhile, return my ring so that I could wear it!

Pala sent the ring to DBOF, which sent the ring to Connecticut. I am living in Virginia, so I will have to wait until I return to Connecticut to get my ring back. The basic problem of the included and/or fractured stone has not been solved and will not be until Pala finds a replacement stone (which is proving difficult since my stone was such a great color red!).

Josh Hall of Pala Gems has assured me that he will continue to look for a replacement stone.

Deborah

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 9:53:42 AM
The basic problem of the included and/or fractured stone has not been solved
You don''t have photos of the inclusions/fractures you can post do you? Maybe someone like Richard or Neil can comment.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/19/2005 10:06:43 AM
Author: elmo
You don't have photos of the inclusions/fractures you can post do you? Maybe someone like Richard or Neil can comment.

I may have some photos of marks on the stone supposedly left by its being set, but I do not have one of the main inclusion and/ or fracure. At least I do not think I do! I do know that while this stone was at Pala Gems for its return visit, that Dick Hughes (rubydick) who posts here, had a chance to examine it.

Deborah

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2005 10:21:06 AM

Date: 10/19/2005 10:06:43 AM
Author: elmo
You don''t have photos of the inclusions/fractures you can post do you? Maybe someone like Richard or Neil can comment.

I may have some photos of marks on the stone supposedly left by its being set, but I do not have one of the main inclusion and/ or fracure. At least I do not think I do! I do know that while this stone was at Pala Gems for its return visit, that Dick Hughes (rubydick) who posts here, had a chance to examine it.

Deborah
Hi Deborah,

What are the dimensions of the stone and the carat weight? The color does look great from the pictures.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi again Deb,

I forgot to ask is it Burmese? There is a new find of unbelievable red spinel in tanzania which rivals the Burma stones.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MJO asked:

Date: 10/19/2005 11:15:00 AM
Author: MJO
What are the dimensions of the stone and the carat weight? The color does look great from the pictures.

and

Date: 10/19/2005 11:17:08 AM
Author: MJO
I forgot to ask is it Burmese? There is a new find of unbelievable red spinel in tanzania which rivals the Burma stones.

The stone has been described by two gemologists involved in its sale to me. One wrote the description below.

"1.78 ct. oval red spinel in a medium dark, vivid red color in VVS clarity.

The stone has medium dark tone, a vivid saturation and red hue.

The stone is a type II gemstone.

In the VVS clarity grade for a type II gemstone it has minor inclusions: somewhat easy to see under 10X and usually invisible to the unaided eye."

The other wrote this description (below).

"This letter is in regard to the untreated 1.78 Burmese spinel we recently sold (measuring approx.7.5 x 6.0 x 5.1 mm).

The world's finest red spinels come from Burma's Mogok Stone Tract and this stone is a particularly fine example, exhibiting an intense red color similar to that of a red traffic light.

Gems such as this are becoming more rare as mining diminishes in the Mogok area. This is something you can treasure the rest of your life, a wonderful example of the beauty of nature. Enjoy!"

Both descriptions were written long before the stone was set, as part of the description I wanted with the sale of the stone to me.

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color Tutorial Needed

I have never really understood all the elements that go into the description of a stone's color. I assume, "saturation" means how equally the color is spread throughout the stone?

But what are "hue" and "tone"?

What does it mean to have "medium dark tone, a vivid saturation and red hue"?

When a ruby is more purple than a red spinel is that hue (as opposed to tone)?

Why would a stone that looks bright red (like a traffic light) have, "medium dark tone"?

I need some instruction on color descriptions! (My eye for the color I want is good, but I can never describe what I like!)

Deb

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2005 12:50:16 PM

Color Tutorial Needed

I have never really understood all the elements that go into the description of a stone''s color. I assume, ''saturation'' means how equally the color is spread throughout the stone?

But what are ''hue'' and ''tone''?

What does it mean to have ''medium dark tone, a vivid saturation and red hue''?

When a ruby is more purple than a red spinel is that hue (as opposed to tone)?

Why would a stone that looks bright red (like a traffic light) have, ''medium dark tone''?

I need some instruction on color descriptions! (My eye for the color I want is good, but I can never describe what I like!)

Deb
Hi Deb,

The hue is the color (red, blue, pink, etc). The tone is how dark or light the color is. Some colors look better in light tones, some in medium and some in medium dark. None look good in dark. Red looks good in medium and medium dark. Saturation is how bright the color looks. Vivid is the top where the stone practically glows.

I just gave away a spinel like this but it was small at .85ct. The current Top Red spinels from Tanzania are going for over $2,000/ct in 2ct+ sizes. I did see a pair of 3ctw pair shaped stones for $1,200/ct.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
26.gif
My dad gave me a ring alot like this for my 21st bday--gold gold with white gold prongs. The center is a .75ct ruby though, pretty clear and only one or two very difficult to see small inclusions, which I guess is decent for a ruby, with 2 .5 ct diamonds on the side that are absolutely beautiful... Once I get new batts for the digital camera I''ll post a pic.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s one shot--sorry about the bad quality, my bf''s digital camera is not that great...

rubydiamondring2.jpg

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Heres another...sorry, I need a new camera--any suggestions for a decent one??

ring 014.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Deb, sorry to hear of your troubles with the spinel.
8.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
8.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/8.gif" width="15 border=0"> I guess the question I would be asking is how a stone graded as "VVS" has an inclusion that can cause a problem even in a type 2. Good luck. Doug

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello larussel03,

The color looks nice but the pictures are not that focused on my computer.

Regards,
Maurice

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking forward to seeing your spinel set. It is a beautiful color, reminds me of a pomengranate seed.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties of the stone, but it is nice to have the advice of experts Before something went wrong. Perhaps if they cannot find you a suitable spinel they can replace it with a similar quality ruby
11.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2005 9:22:34 AM
Author: part gypsy
I was looking forward to seeing your spinel set. It is a beautiful color, reminds me of a pomengranate seed.

I wasn''t sure if you were speaking to me, part gypsy. My spinel is already set. The problem lies in the stone that is set!

Deb

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess that didn''t come out right (hard to mark inflections on internet). What I meant was Oh no, I was so looking forward to seeing your stone set, and now I get to see your ring, there is the problem with the stone.
5.gif

I hope everything works out. Perfection is an elusive thing.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/24/2005 1:46:59 PM
Author: part gypsy
I hope everything works out. Perfection is an elusive thing.

Thank you :). Both for the sentiments and for translating because I am dense!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results