shape
carat
color
clarity

After a long wait

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
After a long search, looking for the Diamond that will be warm and fuzzy and speak to me. I think this is the one. I've put a hold on it so none of you can steal it. :)
What do you think? Below budget (which my BF loves!!!) and a little smaller than I would have liked, but I think it is pretty awesome! Do you think so too? Please be critical!

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/2807/

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
As long as you are comfortable with a J color, it looks very good to me.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
thanks boston_jeff. I am comfortable with color J. I''ve seen some amazing J stones here and hope mine will be the same. :)

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
that diamond looks absolutely fantastic! J vs2 is a great combination and I like the size of the arrows. I usually scan their stones but don''t remember seeing that one. Did he call it in for you?

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondsrock. This was on their website. I found it just by doing a basic search.

Any other critics?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the arrows photo and the magnified photo it looks like a really interesting cut to me. I mean that in a good way!

If you''re alot under budget and want a larger stone you might ask GOG about what else they have in stock that might work for you. Maybe they have something that isn''t posted yet.

But the one you''ve picked looks very nice. As for color many PSers say a well cut J is lovely. Take a look at it and see if you like it.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hey Stone Hunter,
Can you explain a little more about why you called the cut of my stone "interesting"? Why is my H&A different from all the other ones out there? Anyone ?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know anything about RB''s so take my comments with alot of salt. But looking at the images on GOG yours has very sharp clear patterning. I think that''s nice. It may not look alot different than another well cut RB but you won''t know till you look at 2 side by side. It may sparkle more or simply show a different facet pattern. Or maybe you won''t see a difference.

I would want to see this stone in person, cause it looks like it would interest me. If you can''t then ask GOG their opinion on it. Ask them to compare it to another diamond they have.

HTH

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
bump for more opinions please! Also, since my stone is GIA as opposed to AGS, my stone is excellent but not ideal? *confused* What does this mean?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look of that stone...I have definitely visited GOG''s site and noticed that one several times before. It looks like an amazingly bright stone!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beautiful stone!! Lots of happy J owners around here, especially with the Ideal cut!

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Thanks facetfire and swingirl! Except it''s not ideal cut...it''s excellent cut. Is there a difference?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it''s an excellent cut because it is GIA.

E B

Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous! Congratulations.

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi JulieN,
does excellent cut equal to ideal cut in AGS?

thanks
Julia

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Excellent is GIA''s highest cut grade. Ideal is AGS''s highest cut grade.

As far as being comparable, whole nother thread.
2.gif

shay

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 1:46:03 PM
Author: EBree
It''s gorgeous! Congratulations.
Ditto!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looove it! Fabulous!

Hi LeiLei,

It''s funny that you said, you put it on hold so none of us can steal it... cuz I was looking at that same diamond... Even weirder, I narrowed it down between that one and one other, and I was about to post a question as to why the one that you put on hold was way less expensive even though they were very similar (with the only main difference being in one step higher in color with the other diamond), and then I came across your post.

Even weeeeeeeeeeeeeirder, my girlfriend''s (hopefully future fiancee''s) name is Leigh, which is obviously very close to your screen name. Anyway, so you haven''t decided for sure on it? Anything holding you back? Also, have you decided on a setting for your ring? Just curious as I am in the same boat as you...

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi Shay,
My HCA is 1.6, and I was looking at the difference between what GIA and AGS calls as excellent and ideal. Quite a bit of difference in coverage of areas on that map. I don''t actually think this rock would be ideal in AGS standards. Do you agree?

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi pessimistic optimist,
So my BF''s budget is 4200, and as you are well aware, this stone comes way under it (trust me, he couldn''t be happier). But I''ve been searching for a while and this stone kept popping up in my head, especially the goodoldgold picture of how the arrows are oddly blue. I love that! So to say we are still indecisive is true in some ways (me being a girl and asking Tim if there is a bigger rock in my budget, he is currently asking his suppliers). But on the other hand, I love this rock, even if a bigger rock is available with our budget, but I don''t know if we are going to be swayed by it. We are waiting to see picture from Tim.
As far as setting goes, we had one picked out a year ago. A scott kay. I think if you search for my name, a couple picture might pop up. :)

Good luck with your search for Leigh. (tell you what, if the bigger one makes my head swoon as much as this one, I''ll tell Tim to hold this one for you and Leigh)

Hi LeiLei,

Thanks for responding to my post! I've been corresponding with Tim about diamonds and yours was one I had come across, because of the quality and even though the color is a J, the setting I chose is going to be in yellow gold, so I don't think color in that range, should be a problem whatsoever.

About the blue color in the arrows in the photo... Would it actually look like that or is that an artifact from taking a photo?

I can completely understand why your bf would be happy about being way under budget, by the way.
emwink.gif

By the way, how long can you put a diamond on hold for? And do you know if you can still pay with a bank transfer (to get the discount), if you have reserved it with a credit card? I sent those questions to Tim too, but I probably won't hear until tomorrow from him.

Also, I'll take a look for the setting you chose on other posts...

ScubaStog

Rough_Rock
just a thought- i love my J colored cushion, and it''s a very good cut, but not ideal... it''s very sparkly and you can''t see the color unless it''s next to a colorless stone... I think color is definitely one place to save money, at least in my opinion! Beautiful stone, can''t wait to see it set!

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi pessimistic optimist,

To answer some more of your questions. I didn''t mind a "J" especially since originially I was considering a "K". Also my setting is platinum but I just don''t think I am that color sensitive. :) Besides, the bigger rock is a more important issue. ;-)
I hope the blue in my arrows is not an artificial although on the papers it shows the blue fluorescence as negligible. Either way, for me, the blue arrows on the picture was just a big neon sign for me to buy the rock.
I am sorry but I don''t know the answer to your question about how many days you can hold a rock. We told Tim we would pay for the either rock on Monday, and he was fine by that (we held it using bank wire, no money down).
Oh, a money saving tip, we got our designer setting on overstock for like 1/2 the price. It might not be for everyone but for us, we figured the designer quality control is at a certain level so it was safe for us to buy it at overstock. There''s a nice Tacori one right now. I''ll link ya. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=2189473

You''ll let me know when you buy a diamond hmmmm? So we can oohh and ahh over each other''s rocks?

Hi LeiLei,

I''m going to probably reserve the other diamond, until at least Tuesday hopefully and make a decision by then. I can''t believe I''m actually doing this. Anyway, let me know about your decision, and I''ll let you know when I choose a diamond. :) I don''t know how I''m going to have time to decide any of this with my parents and brother visiting for my birthday, plus my girlfriend is always around. It''s absolute chaos!

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Okay, ladies and gentlemen, I am bumping this for the harder to please people. Other than color, what are some of the problems you see with this rock? Is HCA of 1.6 too high?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2007 11:29:14 PM
Author: leilei0812
Hi pessimistic optimist,

To answer some more of your questions. I didn't mind a 'J' especially since originially I was considering a 'K'. Also my setting is platinum but I just don't think I am that color sensitive. :) Besides, the bigger rock is a more important issue. ;-)
I hope the blue in my arrows is not an artificial although on the papers it shows the blue fluorescence as negligible. Either way, for me, the blue arrows on the picture was just a big neon sign for me to buy the rock.
I am sorry but I don't know the answer to your question about how many days you can hold a rock. We told Tim we would pay for the either rock on Monday, and he was fine by that (we held it using bank wire, no money down).
Oh, a money saving tip, we got our designer setting on overstock for like 1/2 the price. It might not be for everyone but for us, we figured the designer quality control is at a certain level so it was safe for us to buy it at overstock. There's a nice Tacori one right now. I'll link ya. http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=2189473

You'll let me know when you buy a diamond hmmmm? So we can oohh and ahh over each other's rocks?
You are not going to see the arrows per say in real life. For some reason they appear blue in the pic, but I'm sure it has to do with the lighting.

You will catch glimpses of one or two at a time, and most likely they will be silver. I just wanted to point this out so you weren't mislead on its appearance.

It's a gorgeous stone, and I would snatch it up if I were you.
2.gif

p.s. Anything under 2 on HCA is good!

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
Hi Ellen,
I won''t see the arrow in real life?
7.gif
Is that because my stone is much smaller than the ones that have been posted here with great arrow pictures?

Thanks
Julia

leilei0812

Rough_Rock
bump for no arrow in real life?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 11:29:44 AM
Author: leilei0812
Hi Ellen,
I won't see the arrow in real life?
7.gif
Is that because my stone is much smaller than the ones that have been posted here with great arrow pictures?

Thanks
Julia
Sorry, I missed this earlier!

No, your stone won't look like it does in the pics Jon takes, or any of the pics we all get of the arrows in our stones. We get those because of the high magnification the camera takes them with. It doesn't have anything to do with the size of your stone.

However, as I said earlier, you will catch glimpses of some, usually not all. I did see them all in my stone yesterday, I was in the bathroom standing under the vanity lights, and there was bright light shining in the window. My stone was just ICY WHITE, and all the arrows showed silver. But that's a rare moment to see them all, and a real treat!

But don't be sad, they are still beautiful stones.
2.gif

Lorelei, if you read this, take note I capitolized this time.
9.gif
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results