shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise on halo redesign

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I am hoping to get some ideas on how to redesign my ring. It is a 1.22 round brilliant in a hexagon halo. I was never happy with the halo - to me, it looks like poor craftsmanship. Do you agree?

I have some inspiration pictures for the redesign that I am attaching below. I like the look of halos and am also considering doing a three stone halo. I have some pink sapphires that I would use instead of the blue in these pictures. My concern is I want the look to be elegant and not immature. The last halo pic is from a PSer - I love the ring and also prefer the idea in general of doing a cushion cut halo with my round diamond.

FYI, my hands are small (I wear child size gloves!), fingers are short, and ring size is 4.75.

Any and all advice is welcome!

IMG_4500.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4489.png
    IMG_4489.png
    373.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4493.png
    IMG_4493.png
    317.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4487.jpeg
    IMG_4487.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4473.jpeg
    IMG_4473.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 50

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would be a good idea to stick with all diamonds and maybe do a pink sapphire eternity-type band to go with it. I really like
pink but also worry about the pink making it look "young". Not sure why I feel this way. I dont think that way about the blue.

The other thing that really confuses me and my thinking is that I have seen pink diamond halos that are just gorgeous. They
tend to be light pink and really complement the center stone. Go figure :roll:

Anyway, I like the cushion-shaped halo in the 2nd small picture (minus the 3 stone part of it).

You do what you like though!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Jmo of course but I like it best the way it is. So, if anything, I might just wear a wide white gold wedding band in place of the thin diamond wedding band, and then add a colored stone band under that, or colored stone and diamond. That could be changed around as desired too.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would stick with all diamonds. I have seen some halos done in rose gold and the diamonds in the halo were white. Gives it a pop of color if that is what you are after. I personally prefer it to be all white but it is your ring and you need to be happy with it. Bands can always change and even add color but I like all white in the ering.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there! How exciting! I had my last re-set done as a halo and Loved it for many years! Another vote for an all white Diamond halo here, JMO, I feel like its a more classic look. I would worry that I would tire of the pink, or find it distracting- I would keep the color to the bands as others have suggested so you can play it up or down! I can't really view any type of craftsmanship issue based on the picture, but perhaps have it hand-forged this time around vs. CAD/Cast? I had my halo Hand forged and the craftsmanship is beautiful, never felt bulky.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for all white diamonds. I like to be able to add color in bands that I can swap out, without worrying if any colors will clash.

Last edited:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Also, of the potential halo resets, I prefer the second one with the cushion shaped halo and cadillac sides.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I see nothing wrong with your current ring, but of course, you have to like it too!

I think the above posts, suggesting adding colour in a separate band, is a great idea for versatility. If you were ever to tire of the colour, it’s simpler to change a band than to redo an engagement setting.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Late to the game. I like to keep it simple not ornate. This is my wife’s round stone with halo. Good luck. 613810 613809

sabinameister

Shiny_Rock
I really like your ideas, especially the Tacori halo with the sapphire side stones. The setting you have doesn’t look to be of high craftsmanship from the picture so I can see what you mean. I do however like the unique hexagonal halo. Best of luck deciding!

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Hi! Thanks for asking! David and I are working on the CAD, and I’d love feedback :)

I proceeded with the halo design that I last posted. We got to the wax model stage and it seemed to overwhelm my finger, so I found a different design that we are going with - CAD is below, as well as the inspiration pic. The differences between my ring and the inspiration pic is I’m doing bullets on the shoulders and also I’m not doing milgrain all the way around the band.

The decision that I’m thinking through now is if I should keep the roundel or do something different, such as doing the design of a milgrain V after the bullrt as in the inspiration pic. Thoughts?

Also any other comments on the design are welcome!

DK 99929-QUAD-14.png

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 30

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would opt for an air gap/line halo myself. I just love air gap/line halos in different styles.

This one is kind of a halo, and the centre blue Zircon is 8mm diameter, the bezel is Rose Gold:

20201218_155316-jpg.800194

The centre Rubellite is 9mm in this ring:

20201218_155230-jpg.800193

DK :))
Attach files

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your comment. There is a small gap in the design - here’s the front of the inspiration pic. I don’t want the gap to be too large bc I don’t want the ring to be too bulky IMG_6841.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few questions before I comment...

What are the metal colors for the green, purple, and gold cad colors?
How many points are the baguette stones?

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I proceeded with the halo design that I last posted. We got to the wax model stage and it seemed to overwhelm my finger

Wax model from which cad from your previous thread?
The 12mm head cad or the 10mm head cad?

Will you show us a picture of the wax model on your finger?
Not to try and redirect you back to it, but when asking for options-advice
I think the info helps

Eta
I don’t really enjoy the point where they chose to attach the shoulders to the halo. I love how the inso’s is. That was (IS!) a gorgeous ring!

Last edited:

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous inspo! My opinion, for what it’s worth - I would go with the milgrain v to transition to the shank. It will better emphasize the unique bullet shape. And I’d nix the tri wire. I don’t know why but the tri wire doesn’t go with the bullets in my head. I’d keep the profile of the wedding band shown in your CAD.

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
It will all be in white gold. I’m not sure why it looks different on the cad :)

I’m a newbie to all of this - can you clarify what you mean by points? Is that the size?

A few questions before I comment...

What are the metal colors for the green, purple, and gold cad colors?
How many points are the baguette stones?

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Here is the wax model, CAD, and the inspiration pic for the old design.

What design do you think would look better for where the shoulders attach to the halo?

Wax model from which cad from your previous thread?
The 12mm head cad or the 10mm head cad?

Will you show us a picture of the wax model on your finger?
Not to try and redirect you back to it, but when asking for options-advice
I think the info helps

Eta
I don’t really enjoy the point where they chose to attach the shoulders to the halo. I love how the inso’s is. That was (IS!) a gorgeous ring!

Attachments

• IMG_6851.jpeg
    IMG_6851.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image7.png
    image7.png
    517.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DK 99929-QUAD-8.jpeg
    DK 99929-QUAD-8.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 34

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
I agree - I was leaning towards the milgrain v as well. Thanks!

Gorgeous inspo! My opinion, for what it’s worth - I would go with the milgrain v to transition to the shank. It will better emphasize the unique bullet shape. And I’d nix the tri wire. I don’t know why but the tri wire doesn’t go with the bullets in my head. I’d keep the profile of the wedding band shown in your CAD.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will all be in white gold. I’m not sure why it looks different on the cad :)

I’m a newbie to all of this - can you clarify what you mean by points? Is that the size?

So all white gold. Got it.

Yes, points would be weight. Like 1 carat (100 points) or 1/2 carat (50 points) etc. Size is LxW or the diameter of a round stone.
(1 carat round stones can have different diameters depending on how they are cut due to depth and girdle). Hope that makes
sense.

The thing is sometimes when the baguettes get really small and they are in white metal, they just look like metal due to the way
they reflect light. I had an Ering that had 8 point baguettes on each side and some people thought the sides were just metal and
not diamonds.

I prefer the rounds in the sides because they reflect light differently and will look like diamonds (but this isnt my ring so you do what
you like!). Plus, your baguettes look like they may be big enough where it isnt an issue.

I prefer the sides be attached higher up. I like them curved also but that can only be done with round stones (not a single
solid baguette).

This is your ring so you make it the way you like it! I think it will be pretty either way!

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thanks - that’s super helpful. I’ll ask do about the size. I definitely don’t want the bullet to get lost where it looks like metal. I’ll reconsider going with the original design with rounds on the shoulders. I was trying to make the ring design “my own” but perhaps this isn’t the way to do it…

So all white gold. Got it.

Yes, points would be weight. Like 1 carat (100 points) or 1/2 carat (50 points) etc. Size is LxW or the diameter of a round stone.
(1 carat round stones can have different diameters depending on how they are cut due to depth and girdle). Hope that makes
sense.

The thing is sometimes when the baguettes get really small and they are in white metal, they just look like metal due to the way
they reflect light. I had an Ering that had 8 point baguettes on each side and some people thought the sides were just metal and
not diamonds.

I prefer the rounds in the sides because they reflect light differently and will look like diamonds (but this isnt my ring so you do what
you like!). Plus, your baguettes look like they may be big enough where it isnt an issue.

I prefer the sides be attached higher up. I like them curved also but that can only be done with round stones (not a single
solid baguette).

This is your ring so you make it the way you like it! I think it will be pretty either way!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
If it were me attempting modifications, I would make the shoulders more angular as opposed to the current curves.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the bullets are too much and make the design too busy. There are a lot of details in this ring already and the added shape of the bullets is gilding the lily IMO. I would remove them and go with the original tapered rounds. Or if you want a step cut in there, choose something the same shape. I don't like the reverse taper going on.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the wax model, CAD, and the inspiration pic for the old design.

What design do you think would look better for where the shoulders attach to the halo?

I’m hesitant to suggest anything because I am unsure of where you are at right now.
The wax model you felt overwhelmed your finger.
The new cad, I cannot envision it being much different on your finger - presence wise.
I very well may be misunderstanding your intent on this.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is a marathon!

OP, are you considering simple or more complex design?
I bring this up because some of the posters have chosen their words very carefully.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides going with rounds in the cathedrals the only other thing I* would probably change is the gallery. You have collapsed the
donut so your wedding band can sit flush but the gallery is very busy. It has a lot going on and since it has been collapsed will
make it difficult to clean the pavilion (not impossible but difficult). I would look for a design that has less metal in that area so
you can clean a little easier. This will also help to make it more yours (vs the original design).

Another thing I would probably change (and I think this has been mentioned and you might have decided to stick with it), is the
tri-wire shank. I would change that to be consistent with your current wedding band.

Just my 2 cents. I wont be offended if you dont implement my suggestions. This is your setting!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bullets are too much and make the design too busy. There are a lot of details in this ring already and the added shape of the bullets is gilding the lily IMO. I would remove them and go with the original tapered rounds. Or if you want a step cut in there, choose something the same shape. I don't like the reverse taper going on.

I agree completely.

blingy0722

Shiny_Rock
Thanks - I’ll go with the rounds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results