shape
carat
color
clarity

Advise for these JA diamonds please

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, love those small tables! I would prefer the H over the I. I really think there is a huge difference visually when you cross over to an I. I am very color sensitive and honestly think I is not "near colorless". I see what you mean about that "missing arrow"!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, love those small tables! I would prefer the H over the I. I really think there is a huge difference visually when you cross over to an I. I am very color sensitive and honestly think I is not "near colorless". I see what you mean about that "missing arrow"!

Yes.. I was thinking of the same too.. H seems to be a safer bet but closing I seems to save quite a fair bit.. Especially since both of the aset n hearts and arrow reports looks similar. Am I missing anything else aside from the color? *ponders *

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
of the two options, i would choose the h color diamond over the i color diamond

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would ask for more images of each to be perfectly honest.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock

Im sorry to hijack the thread but headlight I have seen you mention on a few threads that you really like smaller tables. I am still very new to all of this and am so curious to know how a small table affects the optics of a diamond I why you favor them? I am looking at getting an ACA around 0.8-0.9 in the near future and I have found myself wondering how the table size might be a factor to consider because I've heard you mention it =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also choose the H since you have to spend double at JA to upgrade.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask JA if they would have a gemologist assess the H for transparency. Though it is a VS1, it lists clouds as the first inclusion, with “additional clouds not shown”. Is the grading report for the .744 the same as the link for the true hearts .74?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Color can be noticeable and there is a range for H and I .... one could be at the low end of H and the other could be at the high end of I, for example. I would choose the Hs for the colour but the I has a very slightly more efficient cut - a bit less crown heavy and thinner girdle, which is why it weighs less but has a slightly larger diameter; however, cut shouldn’t be an issue since they are both AGS graded 0. If possible, I would suggest asking them to compare colour and transparency before choosing. One other thing, I’m not sure how JA chooses their “true hearts” but they always carry a premium price tag ... it’s possible that they haven’t screened the other two for “true hearts” yet - with an ideal AGS light performance grading, specs that fall into the ideal range, and ASET image, there’s a good chance that they would fall into that category.

Sugarcloud - the theory is that the smaller tables will produce more fire (produced in the side facets which are larger when the table is smaller) and larger tables more brightness - like a trade-off ... ideal diamond cuts balance both ... imo, all diamonds with table % in the ideal range, with all other things being equal, will be equally beautiful - bright and fiery. A 56-57 table, for example, is still pretty small. People here are all about the smallest table and by that I think they mean 54-55, but I’m not sure it makes that much difference. Just imo.

Good luck!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Im sorry to hijack the thread but headlight I have seen you mention on a few threads that you really like smaller tables. I am still very new to all of this and am so curious to know how a small table affects the optics of a diamond I why you favor them? I am looking at getting an ACA around 0.8-0.9 in the near future and I have found myself wondering how the table size might be a factor to consider because I've heard you mention it =)2

Hi... a small table yields a small table reflection - the little circle in the middle of the face of the diamond - and there’s something really appealing about that to me. And you will see more of the crown facets (all the pretty triangular shaped facets) in comparison to table size (the large flat facet on the top of the diamond). Also, (most?) often when there’s a smaller table there will be a taller crown height. I just like that profile. When I view stones online, especially the way WF displays their stones, I can spot a 55 versus a 57 table immediately. There’s just a “look” about them. A 55 isn’t better than a 57, it’s just a different flavor and it seems to me that around here either people could care less or else they are fans of one or fans of the other!
I had been looking for same size range as you are and purchased these for studs. I don’t know if you can see that the innermost circle is very petite and (to me) looks like a little flower. And when comparing the larger circle (the table facet) in comparison to the distance from the table edge to the outermost circle (the bezel/crown facets), you see a lot of the bezel. Hope this makes sense. 1605888237147.jpeg

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Ask JA if they would have a gemologist assess the H for transparency. Though it is a VS1, it lists clouds as the first inclusion, with “additional clouds not shown”. Is the grading report for the .744 the same as the link for the true hearts .74?

yes it is...oh dear. I googled and came to a conclusion that this inclusion is not a concern...how can we tell from the photos if its cloudy?

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
kmoro, I learnt something new about the small table for more fire! yes, I like the effects of the fire too! And you are right, both of these diamonds are from the “true hearts” range.

Last edited:

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Hi... a small table yields a small table reflection - the little circle in the middle of the face of the diamond - and there’s something really appealing about that to me. And you will see more of the crown facets (all the pretty triangular shaped facets) in comparison to table size (the large flat facet on the top of the diamond). Also, (most?) often when there’s a smaller table there will be a taller crown height. I just like that profile. When I view stones online, especially the way WF displays their stones, I can spot a 55 versus a 57 table immediately. There’s just a “look” about them. A 55 isn’t better than a 57, it’s just a different flavor and it seems to me that around here either people could care less or else they are fans of one or fans of the other!
I had been looking for same size range as you are and purchased these for studs. I don’t know if you can see that the innermost circle is very petite and (to me) looks like a little flower. And when comparing the larger circle (the table facet) in comparison to the distance from the table edge to the outermost circle (the bezel/crown facets), you see a lot of the bezel. Hope this makes sense. 1605888237147.jpeg

That makes so much sense thank you!

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Color can be noticeable and there is a range for H and I .... one could be at the low end of H and the other could be at the high end of I, for example. I would choose the Hs for the colour but the I has a very slightly more efficient cut - a bit less crown heavy and thinner girdle, which is why it weighs less but has a slightly larger diameter; however, cut shouldn’t be an issue since they are both AGS graded 0. If possible, I would suggest asking them to compare colour and transparency before choosing. One other thing, I’m not sure how JA chooses their “true hearts” but they always carry a premium price tag ... it’s possible that they haven’t screened the other two for “true hearts” yet - with an ideal AGS light performance grading, specs that fall into the ideal range, and ASET image, there’s a good chance that they would fall into that category.

Sugarcloud - the theory is that the smaller tables will produce more fire (produced in the side facets which are larger when the table is smaller) and larger tables more brightness - like a trade-off ... ideal diamond cuts balance both ... imo, all diamonds with table % in the ideal range, with all other things being equal, will be equally beautiful - bright and fiery. A 56-57 table, for example, is still pretty small. People here are all about the smallest table and by that I think they mean 54-55, but I’m not sure it makes that much difference. Just imo.

Good luck!

Thank you! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results