carat
color
clarity

Advice re puffy antique cushion?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I am (still) looking at buying a ca 3-3.5 ct lab cushion (d-g and vs or better) but am constantly over analyzing the ones I find... I would love to get some advice.

I know there are lurkers, but I don't really mind that, there will be more opportunities. But that being said, what do you think about this stone? Is it a fluffy pancake?

Would appreciate tips on where to look/what to look for.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Not bad. Check out Alex Park's lab jewelry page. He's on a spree of posting a big lot of antique lab diamonds he just got in. He has the best pricing I've seen

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Not bad. Check out Alex Park's lab jewelry page. He's on a spree of posting a big lot of antique lab diamonds he just got in. He has the best pricing I've seen

Agreed! I love his stuff.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Not sure if I am looking in the wrong way, but I can't seem to find any? How does one go about buying from them if I would..?
Thank you for your help!

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
As a huge admirer of your set, I have to mention that the performance of the elongated antique cushions is dramatically different than the more square shape that you currently own.

Engrgrl1

Rough_Rock
As a huge admirer of your set, I have to mention that the performance of the elongated antique cushions is dramatically different than the more square shape that you currently own.

Hi! I am trying to learn --would you mind elaborating a bit on that? I would love to hear your opinion on the elongated versus more square shape. I am going to start off with a RB, but my next (OMG I can't believe I am already talking about #2 and I haven't even purchased #1 yet:lol:) will be an antique cushion.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you! So nice of you to say. I love my avc and I will definitely keep it and wear it. At this point I am looking for a larger "fun" ring with a (wearable and comfortably sized) larger stone...
I know re the performance, but I somehow don't like bigger ct than I already have in a square cut. Maybe 2 ct would be nice in a square too of course, but I want larger than that to actually appreciate the difference from what I already have... I hope you get what I mean.
I still prefer the antique cut pattern and the cushion shape over other shapes and so I don't really see any other option than elongated... Considering the options I have I don't mind too much a little bit of windowing and/or mush, at least if the overal "feel" is still broad flashes. I hope that makes sense...

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I am trying to learn --would you mind elaborating a bit on that? I would love to hear your opinion on the elongated versus more square shape. I am going to start off with a RB, but my next (OMG I can't believe I am already talking about #2 and I haven't even purchased #1 yet:lol:) will be an antique cushion.

I think what @molecule means is that the elongated shape is (in principle) not possible to cut with ideal light performance and that the antique style is also prone to windowing. My square cut is cut with ideal light performance/return and will outperform an elongated cushion...
Please correct me if I am wrong @molecule

molecule

Brilliant_Rock

A bit of it is as @acaw2015 mentioned. It's been mentioned previously that elongated shapes tend to suffer from poorer performance. With the non branded antique cushions in particular, I am very leery of how large facets can get without a break to provide visual interest. IMO you end up having to move your hand more to get the light to pass along the facet. Some people like the cuts that have 100+ facets because each little movement of your hand ends up providing small amounts of itty bitty flashes.

When I get home tonight I'll see if Jon has any videos posted of a square-ish AVC vs that of an elongated antique cut.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I am (still) looking at buying a ca 3-3.5 ct lab cushion (d-g and vs or better) but am constantly over analyzing the ones I find... I would love to get some advice.

I know there are lurkers, but I don't really mind that, there will be more opportunities. But that being said, what do you think about this stone? Is it a fluffy pancake?

I like this one better.

I look at the fat center facets and which ones stay lit the most as it turns. These stay white as it turns so less obstruction....at least from this E/W angle. That is how I judged my 3 c. elongated cushion and it has great ASET and performance IRL. Also minimal obstruction all the time in all lighting environments.

Nice price too.

I didn't check other vendors for a better price.

On these elongated antique cushions many times they rate the cut "good" which is misleading.

Be sure you buy an ASET scope so you can check it's performance. But seeing it in person ...you will know.

Here's my thread with video and ASET. 3 c H VVS2 for comparison https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-antique-elongated-cushion-3c-h-vvs2.280370/

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Comparing 2 elongated antique cuts with ASET images at the 15 min. mark. Very helpful!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert but I think the Adiamor 3.01 you posted first stays dark too much in the middle. To my eye, the Alex Parks lab diamonds are better cut and his prices are better.
I have a moissy in the shape you're looking at, and while it's certainly moissy material, the cut is nice enough that the big facets don't go dark very often and it doesn't window either. Keep looking around.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Super grateful for all of your advice!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not an expert but I think the Adiamor 3.01 you posted first stays dark too much in the middle. To my eye, the Alex Parks lab diamonds are better cut and his prices are better.
I have a moissy in the shape you're looking at, and while it's certainly moissy material, the cut is nice enough that the big facets don't go dark very often and it doesn't window either. Keep looking around.

Thank you!
Yes, I have seen examples from Alex Parks labs that look really nice, but the ones I really like have been quite pricey.
The one posted above is too close to looking like a criss cut in my eyes, I hope that makes sense.
Still looking.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
acaw2015 you're absolutely right, way more criss cut than antique. Soldier on.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

If you go to my thread and look at the ASET image the "dark" through the middle never shows up dark...it is RED in the ASET. You are mistaken. They flash off and on and they do not show up IRL as dark contrast. It is the nature of these cuts. The faceting on the Alex Parks stone looks like that criss cut elongated cushion which I do not care for and there are a lot of them on Ritani and other sites. Besides the OP is looking for a 3-3.5c stone. Here is my ASET and the dark through the middle is RED not blue which is obstruction. Bottom line, what you see in person IRL is what matters. I love the way my stone performs IRL. Those chunky facets are what is appealing to my eye. And there is virtually NO WHITE which is leakage. 3.01 Cushion H VVS2.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results