shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/Opinions on this 0.80ct diamond?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim N are we seeing some slight crown digging and pavilion painting here? If so, then maybe this one should be passed on.

It does appear to have some digging. It's too bad it's not an in-house stone so they can get an actual image.

There was some debate in this thread over how accurate the computer-generated images are.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It does appear to have some digging. It's too bad it's not an in-house stone so they can get an actual image.

There was some debate in this thread over how accurate the computer-generated images are.

Whoa...that is some good info.
Thanks for posting that!
And based on what is in that thread, maybe this particular one is completely A-OK.
I'm with you: an actual ASET image is needed to make a final judgement.

Last edited:

TheCarGuy

Rough_Rock
Just another update! Found another stone. A little on the smaller size at .76ct, but the cert and dimensions seem promising. About the same price as the original stone, but vs1 and no fluorescence. No ideal scope or aset for this one though. Thoughts?

8BAB5454-C51D-4867-A30A-8E2777E334BA.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another update! Found another stone. A little on the smaller size at .76ct, but the cert and dimensions seem promising. About the same price as the original stone, but vs1 and no fluorescence. No ideal scope or aset for this one though. Thoughts?

8BAB5454-C51D-4867-A30A-8E2777E334BA.png

It's promising! Also check out this one which is a little cheaper and has a less extreme crown angle.

TheCarGuy

Rough_Rock
Anyone else notice JA is finally back to allowing GIA reports to just be grabbed from the website, and even more surprising, they’re no longer hiding GIA numbers? Still looking for the right stone, and went to request a cert just now and they told me to just get it from the picture link lol.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else notice JA is finally back to allowing GIA reports to just be grabbed from the website, and even more surprising, they’re no longer hiding GIA numbers? Still looking for the right stone, and went to request a cert just now and they told me to just get it from the picture link lol.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! This is a good move IMO!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

They were probably getting tired of spending 60% of their on-the-clock time sending grading reports to inquiring PS'ers, alone! :lol-2:

TheCarGuy

Rough_Rock
Hello all! Wanted to bump this post up. Believe it or not, I thought long and hard for quite a while and can’t even count how many diamonds I looked at and requested certs for lol. After everything (I know - against advice) I went with my original stone I was looking at (13836252) and setting I had picked out.

That being said, hopefully I made the right choice on the center stone (though proportions weren’t the best and may appear smaller due to the higher depth and smaller table. It actually looks pretty stunning in person. I will say that I thought it would “sparkle” a bit more/looks a bit darker in most lights, but I guess what they say about jewelry store lighting is true lol! The downside is the ring…there’s a few slight issues, including that the smooth metal part near where they would have done the sizing being all scratched up (but maybe that’s just nitpicking), the “dimpling” (not sure what it’s called on the edges) is not exactly uniform (some of the areas are smooth/missing the texture on the inside portion of the ring - outside texturing is perfect), and the biggest issue of all, is that one of the “arms” or ends of the pave style band that comes up to meet the center stone is not straight, crooked. It’s pretty noticeable in person, yet not as noticeable in the pictures. It’s clear from both the side image of the crooked side, as well as the overall side profile of the ring, where one of the spaces is larger and almost appears to come up higher than the other as well…

Am I being too picky? Should I complain to James Allen? I was potentially going to pop the question on an (very soon) upcoming trip..but now I’m thinking I’ll need to wait if I have to send it back in to JA… I took a ton of pictures, but only uploaded a few. Let me know what you think!

See pics here:

Scon_ce

Shiny_Rock
I haven’t read this entire thread, but yeah that setting looks way off to me. Not acceptable!

Bezeled

Rough_Rock
Another vote for unacceptable - in addition to the warped/asymmetric shoulders, the head and prongs look off too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring needs to go back! I'm really surprised (shocked) that it made it through the QA process.

The symmetry is off all over the setting and one of the prongs looks slightly different. I would let
JA know ASAP and get it back in the mail.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring needs to go back! I'm really surprised (shocked) that it made it through the QA process.

The symmetry is off all over the setting and one of the prongs looks slightly different. I would let
JA know ASAP and get it back in the mail.

Agreed. I am shocked it got sent out like this.

TheCarGuy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone’s input here! We went on vacation so I unfortunately couldn’t get it fixed and back in time, so I just waited on it. I’m getting the ring sent out this afternoon. That being said, what does everyone think about the diamond in the setting? Does it look good? I think it appears more “white” and not as “sparkly/reflection” as I would have thought, but the overall symmetry looks really nice and I can’t see any flaws on the stone from my naked eye. I did bring it to Kay’s (lol), and the lady I’ve dealt with a few times let me look at it under the microscope. It looked pretty good, but just trying to see if I should keep the center stone, or maybe try something new.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results