shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on which Asscher to call in:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

polo11

Rough_Rock

Hello everybody, I have been lurking on this site for over six months now, and it is finally time to take the plunge. I believe I have narrowed down the criteria I am looking for:

Color: G
(I have examined E, F, G, H and I asscher cut stones in several lighting conditions and have been able to see the difference in color up to G)

Clarity: VS1-VS2

Cut: Asscher
(There seems to be several different parameters that are important in the cut of an asscher stone. I am interested in specifying several of these)
· GIA certification
· L/W ratio: I am looking for is 1-1.1
· Polish: VG or better
· Symmetry: VG or better
· Depth: 65-71% (It appears that the proportions of the stone look better if the stone has a depth percentage that is larger than the table percentage)
· Table: 57-65%
· Cutlet: None
· Fluorescence: None to medium
· Girdle: Medium-Slightly Thick, preferably the girdle would be consistent around the entire stone

Carat:
I am not looking to specify the carat weight; I am more concerned with the final spread of the stone, since the spread of the stone is truly what defines the size of a stone when you look at the stone, not the weight. Obviously the light performance of the stone is just as important as the spread, a large diamond cute horribly would be unacceptable. I am looking for a spread of roughly 6.4mm-6.6mm, which seems to land me in the 1.5-1.7 carat weight using the parameters I specified above.

I have narrowed my search down to these diamonds that seem to fit the criteria I am looking for:

Cut Carat Depth Table
AS 1.54 G VS1 GIA 69.9 63 STK N VG VG N 6.38x6.37x4.46 1.00:1
AS 1.70 G VS2 GIA 70.4 64 STK-TK N VG VG N 6.47x6.45x4.54 1.00:1
AS 1.63 G VS2 GIA 65.7 62 M-STK N VG VG N 6.55x6.54x4.30 1.00:1
AS 1.51 G VS2 GIA 65.2 61 M-STK N EX EX N 6.55x6.55x4.27 1.00:1

Looking at other people’s decisions and images I am leaning towards the first or the second one. I am worried about the light performance, because obviously I want it to look good. Can you guys suggest which one has the best chance of looking good.

Thanks I appreciate your advice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much is the vendor charging to call them in and how many will they call in max?

Id consider having the first and the last 2 all called in but would talk to the vendor first to see if they know anything about the suppliers and have gotten good asschers from them before.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 2:52:18 PM
Author: strmrdr
How much is the vendor charging to call them in and how many will they call in max?
Id consider having the first and the last 2 all called in but would talk to the vendor first to see if they know anything about the suppliers and have gotten good asschers from them before.
Storm has a good point - does the vendor have a max # they will call in and/or insight into each suppliers' quality?

It sounds to me like they all have good potential, but I'm a little less strict with numbers than Storm. My asscher is 70.2% depth, 65% table and I am quite happy with it. Some asschers look deep, and draw you into a sort of hall-of-mirrors type of effect. Others have a "shallower" look to them where the effect is more like the ripple effect of a dropping a stone in still water.

You probably have preferences too regarding windmill size, size of clipped corners, number of step cuts in the pavilion, etc. All good questions to ask the vendor.
Also, WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

polo11

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, I was told that the first would be free and the others would cost money. What is the typical price of calling in a stone, they haven''t sent me an estimate on the price to call in others.

Also minor error in the parameters I was looking for the L/W ratio should be 1-1.01 not 1-1.1.

Thanks guys

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2007 2:38:21 PM
Author:polo11
Hello everybody, I have been lurking on this site for over six months now, and it is finally time to take the plunge. I believe I have narrowed down the criteria I am looking for:

Carat:
I am not looking to specify the carat weight; I am more concerned with the final spread of the stone, since the spread of the stone is truly what defines the size of a stone when you look at the stone, not the weight. Obviously the light performance of the stone is just as important as the spread, a large diamond cute horribly would be unacceptable. I am looking for a spread of roughly 6.4mm-6.6mm, which seems to land me in the 1.5-1.7 carat weight using the parameters I specified above.

I have narrowed my search down to these diamonds that seem to fit the criteria I am looking for:

Cut Carat Depth Table
AS 1.54 G VS1 GIA 69.9 63 STK N VG VG N 6.38x6.37x4.46 1.00:1
AS 1.70 G VS2 GIA 70.4 64 STK-TK N VG VG N 6.47x6.45x4.54 1.00:1
AS 1.63 G VS2 GIA 65.7 62 M-STK N VG VG N 6.55x6.54x4.30 1.00:1
AS 1.51 G VS2 GIA 65.2 61 M-STK N EX EX N 6.55x6.55x4.27 1.00:1
Hi polo11. I''m not sure about "typical" fees - maybe someone else has some insight here. I know James Allen charges something like $30 to take an IS of a virtual stone. If you purchase the stone, you get the $30 back. I''m not sure what happens with multiple stones, or what other vendors charge.

I just noticed that you wrote above that you want the spreadiest stone, without compromising cut quality. Of your list, it looks like the last 2 stones are the spreadiest, although not necessarily the biggest in terms of carat weight. The 1.51-carat is interesting because it''s the only EX/EX on the list and it''s got the largest diameter, even larger than the 1.70-carat.

The 1.70-carat has a Slightly Thick-Thick girdle and is the deepest stone, so this is where a lot of the weight is. The last 2 with Med-SThick girdles are shallower too, making them look bigger. Just thought I''d point that out.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It varies vendor to vendor... $30 to $50 is typical with some vendors calling in 1 or 2 free and others charging from the first.. if you buy the stone then they apply the cost of calling that stone in to the cost of the diamond.

pittsburgh66

Rough_Rock
I had an excellent Asscher-shopping experience with Barry and Judah at Excel Diamonds. I didn''t end up buying from them (a longggg story that I''ll post more about tomorrow), but they had no problem calling in two stones for me, doing a full workup, and helping me through the process.

More importantly, they''re first-rate gentlemen and have the highest integrity. Plus, while they likely wouldn''t call in 10 stones for you, they won''t charge you a penny for the 1 or 2 that get called in. My experience was that they only ask you to not abuse the "free call-in" policy, and that you''re very serious about a stone before they incur the expense of the call-in, pics and workup. They''re head and shoulders above most vendors out there in terms of customer service and the amount of info they''ll provide -- they gave me an education in diamond buying.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results