shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good job Rich!

That program is hella fun isn't it?

I gotta tell ya ... using the gadgets, toys, programs, files and the HCA really puts some fun into this huh guys?:cheeky: Glad to hear of your exploits too JayTee. When I'm calling in diamonds for analysis from certain factories I'll do an initial seperation with the HCA, but only make my final purchasing decisions with the lab equipment I have in house. Many times I'll get to analyse diamonds with the same HCA score yet have different types of optical results. There's a surprise in every package. :cheeky:

Peace,
Rhino

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So Rich--of the two diamonds, does the second appear more ideal to you from the images? JayTee noted it only got 2.4 on HCA, but the arrows appear more prominent and there is red under the table as opposed to the first one with more gray. The first one appears to be more brilliant along the edges though? Shed some light if you could..just out of curiousity.

:lickout:

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Mara,
Actually the second one that Richard posted the Idealscope picture for (thank you very much by the way) is an earlier diamond that I mentioned, 1.26 F VS1. That stone actually did score well on HCA, getting a 0.8 (TIC). But I have decided against it, partly because I do not want to give that store my business(a long story, which I may or may not post at a later date :(sad).

The newer "reference" stone that I referred to in my last post was a 1.31 D VS2. If Richard or anyone wants to play around with DiamCalc for this stone, you are welcome to, but this stone is only serving as a reference for me (in terms of ideal cut) and I am not planning on purchasing it. Here are its details again:

1.31 D VS2
depth% 61.5
table% 56.0
crown angle 35.7
pavilion angle 40.8
girdle thin to med
pol VG (although on the AGS report, it got an "Ideal")
sym VG (although on the AGS report, it got an "Ideal")
faint fluoresence
this one I *do* have the dimensions for: 7.05 - 7.10 x 4.35 mm
$10200

Plugging the relevant numbers into the HCA gives it a 2.4 (VG) score. I suspect that it has to do with the crown angle being a little too steep -- and I somewhat confirmed it when I decreased the crown angle by one degree and resubmitted, this stone's HCA score dropped to a 1.0 (TIC). :sun:

In my personal viewing of the .gem files provided by Leonid, I looked at all the possible lighting conditions (Idealscope, light leakage, etc. -- did I mention how cool GemAdvisor was? ::) ) as well as the numbers in the Cut Quality section. Chiefly, I was examining my "larger" table stone (1.37 D VS2 w/60% table)'s file for any red flags. In comparing it to the other file along with Mara's stone, which I found off of her archived posts, I noted that my table allowed more light leakage, but at least according to the calculations, not to a "bad" level. My stone received a 0.92(g-vg) score for leakage stereo, compared to Mara's which received a 1.18(ex) (wow!). This seems to correspond with the leakage image for each stone, which again shows that my stone leaks some light from the table (that pale pink/grayish area) whereas Mara's stone shows some leakage from the middle star area, but not from the table.

Again, as I mentioned in my last post, I am almost at the decision point (self-imposed deadlines, you know). Currently, the 1.37 D VS2 is my stone of choice *unless* I find an ideal stone with similar parameters and price online (and it has to blow my socks off too). To that end, I am working with someone at USACerted, and yesterday I just filled out a form at GoodOldGold to see if Rhino can find one for me:bigsmile:. We'll see what happens!

Mara raised a very good point in a previous post in this thread: this is not the last stone that she will purchase, and if she really wants an ideal, she can get one later. That got me thinking as well, and as long as I am satisfied that I am getting a great stone for my lady, that's what counts. And if I can get her caught up in this newfound obsession o' mine, perhaps we will be asking for more "ideal" advice on this forum in a few years.

Again, thanks to everyone who posted in with advice and information. Your help has been invaluable to my search.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Richard, ----------------
The program can't take into account symmetry variations, other than the length of star facets and lower girdle facets.---------------
You can import 3D Sarin models of the real diamonds into DiamCalc and analyze performance of the real diamonds then each facet will be counted.

There is also advanced option to play (move, rotate) with each facet in the model...

I can give you guys paid consultation how to unleash and use DiamCalc in full power :)

How about this real life stone?

realstone1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
One could do cherry picking without looking at the stones :)

realstone2.gif

JayTee

Rough_Rock
I quote myself from an earlier post:

-----------------
. . . I am almost at the decision point (self-imposed deadlines, you know). Currently, the 1.37 D VS2 is my stone of choice *unless* I find an ideal stone with similar parameters and price online (and it has to blow my socks off too). To that end, I am working with someone at USACerted, and yesterday I just filled out a form at GoodOldGold to see if Rhino can find one for me. We'll see what happens!
-----------------

Well, it looks like that has happened. Rhino came in at the 11th hour and I have selected a stone from him. In comparison to my other stone, this stone was slightly smaller, less table (and I guess, resulting less spread), but a better cut. In a way, I am sad, because so many of you have provided your input on the other stone and gave much info and reassurance :(( . Rhino was kind enough to also point out his 1 month full refund policy and let me know if that if I change my mind, I can take advantage of that.

For those who are curious, this is the stone:
1.29 D VS2
Depth% 61.0
Table% 55.0
girdle med
culet no
pol Ideal
sym Ideal
crown angle 34.4
pavilion angle 40.7
HCA x-x-x-vg 0.7 (TIC)

Rhino also sent along a .gem file for it but I can't figure out how to post images from it to the forum.

Again, thank you to everyone who has offered their assistance. Leonid, thank you for providing the original .gem files and your sage advice. Mara, thank you so much for your perspective and the sharing of your experience. Serg, Rhino, Rich, thank you all (and anyone I've forgotten) for chiming in as well. It looks like the search is over, but I will still keep you all informed and post pictures after the stone is set.

Any comments and/or responses are welcome.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!! Sounds like this stone is great! You can attach the gem file by clicking 'attach file' when you post (before you type anything) and then it may not show up in the post (?), but it will be uploaded and attached. Would love to see the gem file if you can do it.

Is there a page on GOG about the stone, with the brilliance scope or any information? I am eternally curious and never tire of looking at pretty shiny baubles even in 3D estimated animation. :bigsmile:

Anyway, definitely post a pic of the ring when its done, would love to see it. I'm sure it's beautiful! From what I have heard of GOG on the forum, good choice. :appl:

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Ok, I've attached the .gem file to this post. It looks like it works (attached successfully).

Attachments

• br129dvs2gem.gem
    1.2 KB · Views: 23

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Here is the link on GoodOldGold's site: http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_29ct_d_vs2_h&a.htm

Basically I went through my whole thought process all over again (Damn me for being so analytical.::) ) Quite frankly, I had just about made my decision already to purchase the other stone, when Rhino gave me a very good price on this one, and at this point, I guess it became a genuine issue of splitting hairs. Both stones are D VS2, they are within less than .10 carat apart in size, and both score well on the HCA (1.8 and 0.7). The main difference is the table percentage (55 vs 60) and the resulting effect on spread.

There was definitely something to be said about the uniqueness of the larger stone, it was not a "true" ideal with its table size, but similar to Mara's stone, scored well on the HCA and had Ex spread. At the same time, the other stone had a better cut rating, from AGS, HCA, etc. I have to admit, I would have had a harder time with other stones online, but the wealth of information on Rhino's GOG site really reassured me.

Then I thought about what my lady would like (she's a "quality over quantity" gal) and then the choice became easy.

Because the saleslady at the B&M has been so helpful (recommendation coming shortly) I still would like to give her some business, so I will be getting the loose stone from Rhino and purchasing my setting from her.

Now I will (nervously) await the arrival of the stone. :rolleyes:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Pity, it's just a model - not the 3D scan. I'm sure it is great diamond though.

Enjoy!

:)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I checked out the GOG url because I don't have GemAdvisor on my home computer (and I am a dino on a modem so I don't feel like downloading it), and wanted to say GOOD JOB!!!!! The stone looks AMAZING on the GOG site. I love all the info that Rhino and team give, and this stone is what looks like a real beauty. The B-scope animation capivated me for a few minutes, I'm such a sucker for shiny sparkles. Also, the LightScope image shows virtually no real lightleakage..the lightest I see is a pale pink. Should be a stunner in person, much better than the DiamCalc images we saw earlier of the other stones.

Congrats again, great choice! :appl:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I get up to work tomorrow I'll post it's gem file on the same page if that's ok with you JayTee.

Whenever we call in diamonds and before I run any analysis or check any #'s on the stone I do an initial observation on the stone with just my eyes. The features that struck me was how fiery & scintillating this diamond was. Sometimes when I'm trying to describe this effect in laymens terms the best description I can think of is when you are watching the fuse on a firecracker that just doesn't seem to go out and in the midst of the sparks are bursts of rainbows. This is what you will observe in direct light conditions with a diamond like that and it's quite unique to see. My experience with diamonds that have longer lower girdles (that diamond has around 84% length) is that this contributes to very strong scintillation when combined with the other proper angles.

It'll be there in no time JT and we promise no regrets. Also it was a pleasure to be able to speak with you on the phone and put a voice to the emails.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 12/14/2002 5:12:50 PM

Pity, it's just a model - not the 3D scan. I'm sure it is great diamond though.

Enjoy!

----------------

Haha... I'm working on that hoss but wouldn't you consider actual pictures of the diamond itself one step better than a virtual model? I think I got the model down pretty good in relation to the actual stone. It would be interesting to compare a Sarin model to the actual stone though wouldn't it?

Peace,
Rhino

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
I'm working on that hoss but wouldn't you consider actual pictures of the diamond itself one step better than a virtual model? ----------------
Yes and No

Yes: real idealscope picture would be better.
No: you cannot do cut quality estimation, stereo and mono vision, run unimations, etc.

You're doing great job Jonathan, don't get me wrong :)

I understand that you have Megascope, not Sarin.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey bulldog. :)

Actually we have both. :razz: Except the Sarin we have is the B'eye model. OGI is coming out with a 3d model program however and I'm going to see if there's any possibility of using that. Thanks for the input Leo and I agree ... both would be nice. :razz: Can .gem files be generated from the 3d sarin files as well?

Peace,
Rhino

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
Hey bulldog.
----------------
Pitbull actually :cheeky:
----------------
Can .gem files be generated from the 3d sarin files as well?
----------------
You import 3D .SRN into DiamCalc and export .GEM for GemAdviser.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I only have one word for you Leonid.

Well ... 2 ...

woof woof! :cheeky:

JayTee

Rough_Rock
Got the stone from FedEx first thing yesterday.

Ran it to an appraiser, just for sanity check purposes (since I don't have tweezers and a loupe handy). The appraiser also happened to have a Firescope, and she graciously put the stone in when I asked and we both took a look. I believe this works much in the same way the Idealscope and Lightscope work? Very little white near the edges, otherwise pink and red predominate through the stone. It's definitely a gorgeous stone, everytime I look at it in different lights, I notice the fire and scintillation.

Headed over to San Francisco to get the setting. Since I got into the city so late, I didn't expect to be able to have it set the same day, but after I picked out the setting (a modified Tiffany setting in platinum), the jeweler told me it would be ready in less than an hour! wow! ::)

So now the ring is sitting an a ring box, waiting for me to figure out exactly how I'm going to surprise her with it.

Pictures will be coming soon!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats JT can't wait to see the pix. So you are local near SF eh? I too am in the Bayarea, though more towards the Silicon Valley in the SouthBay.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to hear everything got there safe and sound JT. Now let's just hope she says yes. ;-) hehe Keep us informed.

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results