Should I pull the trigger and buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Ako224

Rough_Rock
I am currently in the market for an e-ring and looking at diamonds. Please help me read this idealscope image. I have a budget of around 10k. Specs are: I colored, VS1, triple excellent, 62.6% Depth and 57% table, medium blue fluorescence, crown 36, and pavilion 40.60. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

_38176.jpg

_38178.jpg

Ako224

Rough_Rock
Also, HCA score seems to be 1.9. Asking price is around $9,450.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert, but I think 62.6% depth is too deep - and it looks leaky under the table to me. :???:

I'd wait for more knowledgeable people than me to comment!

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I said no for the following reasons:

1. leaky in numerous spots. I would be ok with it if I got it for a great price only
2. vs1 is unnecessary. VS2 or SI1 eyeclean would allow you to put more towards cut quality
3. high crown at 36. lots of light leakage because cut deep. crown angle and pavilion angle are supposed to be opposites. If one is high, the other low. Yours are both high.
4. medium fluorescence. Can make the diamond have somewhat of a milky appearance. Did someone check on this for you? Do you have actual pictures of the stone. Medium fluorescence is a plus, though, with respect to helping make the I stone face up whiter
5. 1.5 carat is a big price point. Buying shy of 1.5 carat, such as 1.4, and then putting the rest of the money saved towards the cut or in your pocket would be better.
6. could improve stats/specs and overall get a better diamond by "buying shy" of 1.5 carats, decreasing clarity so you aren't paying for something you can't even see, checking on the fluorescence of any stone you buy--and if it has fluorescence, confirming whether or not the transparency of the stone is affected, and putting this money saved towards a better cut and/or in your pocket.
7. stone lacks precision with respect to cut. very bare minimum to meet gia excellent for symmetry. So many symmetry problems and the outer arrows have very little contrast.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be from JA? While I dont think it's all that bad (it's not percision cut and neither is the pricetag), I do wonder if you
could find better. Does look like you are losing a little size due to the depth. I'm not seeing anything at JA with better specs in the same price range.

Enchanted has this one
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.49&clarity=VS2,VS1&color=I,H&has_image=true&heirloom=true&make=Ideal,Excellent&shape=Round&wire_price_max=10000.0#diamond=R152-469146Z51 ...slightly large table, a little leaky under the table but not as deep

I checked B2c also and didnt see anything. Inventory seems somewhat limited right now in the 1.5 range.

JA has a good return policy. You could order the stone. Check it out in person under different lighting conditions and see if it
performs to your liking. Do some comparison shopping. Return if not to your liking.
https://www.jamesallen.com/faq/ look under return policy

Ako224

Rough_Rock
I would prefer buying from JA because of their settings but if there are any other places that anyone recommends I will take a look. Does anyone have better options that are in my price range? ~10k, preferably around $9,500. I am also open to buying a little below the 1.5 carat weight if the prices is cheaper. As to the medium fluorescence, the pictures do not seem cloudly and during my chat with a rep they stated it would not be cloudy. Here is the link to the diamond for reference. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1953412

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-322079
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-401926
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.41-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1997283

I'm not sure if you were for sure staying at VS1. Here are some VS2 that are candidates for great cuts.
I liked these 3. I would consider running the hca, checking to see if eyeclean, and getting an idealscope. My favorite is the first one. It's $10,060, but a real winner.

Ako224

Rough_Rock
As long as it is eye clean I am open to lowering my qualifications for clarity. Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it!

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
That third one I gave you, cross that off the list. Crown angle was 36 degrees. I would get the ideal scope for the 10,060$ stone and post it. We will keep looking too.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1473631096|4075286 said:

1. leaky in numerous spots. I would be ok with it if I got it for a great price only
2. vs1 is unnecessary. VS2 or SI1 eyeclean would allow you to put more towards cut quality
3. high crown at 36. lots of light leakage because cut deep. crown angle and pavilion angle are supposed to be opposites. If one is high, the other low. Yours are both high.
4. medium fluorescence. Can make the diamond have somewhat of a milky appearance. Did someone check on this for you? Do you have actual pictures of the stone. Medium fluorescence is a plus, though, with respect to helping make the I stone face up whiter
5. 1.5 carat is a big price point. Buying shy of 1.5 carat, such as 1.4, and then putting the rest of the money saved towards the cut or in your pocket would be better.
6. could improve stats/specs and overall get a better diamond by "buying shy" of 1.5 carats, decreasing clarity so you aren't paying for something you can't even see, checking on the fluorescence of any stone you buy--and if it has fluorescence, confirming whether or not the transparency of the stone is affected, and putting this money saved towards a better cut and/or in your pocket.
7. stone lacks precision with respect to cut. very bare minimum to meet gia excellent for symmetry. So many symmetry problems and the outer arrows have very little contrast.
Re the leakage - please look at this and read here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-aset-this-one-ok.225433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-aset-this-one-ok.225433/[/URL]

_38193.jpg

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1473644849|4075363 said:

Re the leakage - please look at this and read here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-aset-this-one-ok.225433/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-aset-this-one-ok.225433/[/URL]

Thanks for the clarification. I have always used leakage to refer to less than 100% light return, but leakage technically means no light return. So this stone really doesn't have any leakage per say except at the 12 o'clock position. It has many areas of "lower light return". I should say "areas of less light return" rather than "leakage". That is what I was trying to convey. Many areas of less light return.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not believe there is more leakage at 12 o clock position. If anything the worst part is at 11oclock but that is a titled diamond (looking at the pavilion mains) which can give that appearance. I would be happy with that IS it it were me.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do not believe there is more leakage at 12 o clock position. If anything the worst part is at 11oclock but that is a titled diamond (looking at the pavilion mains) which can give that appearance. I would be happy with that IS it it were me.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1473682641|4075477 said:
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1473644849|4075363 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I have always used leakage to refer to less than 100% light return, but leakage technically means no light return. So this stone really doesn't have any leakage per say except at the 12 o'clock position. It has many areas of "lower light return". I should say "areas of less light return" rather than "leakage". That is what I was trying to convey. Many areas of less light return.
There is never 100% light return, ever. And in that stone the pale pink areas would still have more than 50% light return. The loss compared to best ever would be less than 10%. Overall this stone probably rates as 95% of the very very best.
I am not trying to sell a sttone - I just want to alert people who give advice that sometimes they are far too picky and reject fab stones with unwarranted justification :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am bookmarking this. Thank Gary for the short snd sweet explanation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, meduim flourescnce in a high clarity, lower color stone is low risk. Stone should be checked of course, but it is never a reason for an auto disqualify in an I Vs1 stone. 36 crowns can be very nice, lots of fire and 40.6 is the exact pavilion you want for that. With an idealsope as good as this the crown angle is not a disqualifer at all. Also at colors lower than H high clarity demands less of a premium and you can usually get some very good deals. You should never sent a clarity ceiling just for that reason. I have found VS1s in I and J color that are only 40 bucks more than an Si1. With clarity all you need is a floor for that reason. Now higher color stones are different, the higher clarity coupled with it brings a much higher premium which is why we want a floor of SI1 in most cases. And finally there is no visually visible lack of precision or symmmetry in the cut of that stone.

The only REAL issue is the depth, which is making the stone face up very small for the carat weight. You want to hit 7.4 mm in a 1.5 carat stone. So you would be better off with a stone with a depth of 59-62.3.

n64bomb it is clear that you have a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm and that is great. I would caution you a bit in your practical application of that knowledge. :wavey:

Ako224

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help everyone. After some advice and help on another topic feed I am considering https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1998771.. I am waiting for the ideal scope and will make my decision after I receive it. Any comments on this diamond?

Also, I am looking at this setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/martin-flyer/14k-white-gold-cut-down-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-by-martin-flyer-item-54986

Any thoughts on this combination?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ako224|1473805176|4076058 said:
Thanks for all of the help everyone. After some advice and help on another topic feed I am considering https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.40-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1998771... I am waiting for the ideal scope and will make my decision after I receive it. Any comments on this diamond?

Also, I am looking at this setting: https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/martin-flyer/14k-white-gold-cut-down-pave-cathedral-engagement-ring-by-martin-flyer-item-54986

Any thoughts on this combination?

That stone looks nice. Did you ask for an idealscope? Not sure if its local or not. I also like that setting. It has a nice basket
to it and the width of the shank looks decent.

Ako224

Rough_Rock
Yes I am waiting for the idealscope now. Thanks for your input.

Ako224

Rough_Rock
The diamond is a little out of my price range and my girlfriend likes the pave stones to be exposed. Thanks for the help though!

Ako224

Rough_Rock
How does this idealscope image look?

_38314.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ako224|1474422119|4079060 said:
How does this idealscope image look?
This stone arguably has too little leakage because it has painted crown facets. You can read about painting and digging here on Rocky talky and also the articles tab in the top right.
It is not badly painted, and some people strongly preferrred this style - if you search here for info about eight star diamonds and 8 star you will find a lot of 10 years old discussions about this brand that were all painted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results