shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on ring setting

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
This setting suits an oval stone really well as well! Must have been a tough choice. I think it will be about getting the proportions right because the stone I've purchased is likely considerably smaller.

I'm thinking to have the jeweller draw up a design like this, one with a tapered plain metal band and a split shank and then decide which suits the stone and the finger the best!

Thanks!

I think that's a great idea. Good luck!

You know, I only vaguely remember that oval. I think it was almost twice the price of the champagne diamond, though. I remember it was beyond my budget, which made the choice pretty easy. ;)2

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
This setting suits an oval stone really well as well! Must have been a tough choice. I think it will be about getting the proportions right because the stone I've purchased is likely considerably smaller.

I'm thinking to have the jeweller draw up a design like this, one with a tapered plain metal band and a split shank and then decide which suits the stone and the finger the best!

Thanks!

The stone in my pictures is a .88ct, about 6.2mm.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
For reference, my champagne diamond is about 7mm x 7mm.

claus10

Rough_Rock
Oh right, so proportionwise I won't be too far off either design because the stone I have is 8mm by 5mm!

Thanks so much everyone!

claus10

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! Hope you're all well

I met the jeweller and saw various options of setting. After seeing things in person my perspective changed a bit.

I'm now leaning towards an inverse taper with either grain set or castle set accent stones on the side. I want to have 5 stones either side of the centre stone as the proposal will be very close to 10.5 years of being together, so thought this would be a nice touch.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the engagement ring setting should be able to accommodate a standard wedding band? The type of setting I like for the stone protrudes a bit at the bottom and so won't allow a wedding band to sit flush. The jeweller said that I should think about something more band friendly and that it won't make much difference to the overall aesthetic.

I've attached an image of the designs - the setting is more to my taste on the castle set and grain set than the plain band. I think it has more presence and the setting looks more like it's made for that specific stone and as a consequence looks better. Not sure if I'm being a bit over the top though!

Apparently castle set and pave are different, but I haven't found any information clarifying this. Overall the castle set looks better, but is less practical for day to day use than the grain set. I'm going to find out if the grain set can have the ratio altered to have thinner metal channels and slightly bigger stones in the shank compared to the current image as it looks slightly unbalanced to me.

I look forward to any thoughts or feedback

Thanks!

Cad designs.jpg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update. I like all three of these. I wouldn't worry too much about the band not being flush. A couple of my sets aren't flush, and it's not a big deal to me. I don't recommend getting a curved band to compensate for the lack of flush-ness. For me, those are the worst. They never align properly with the engagement ring.

My suggestion would be (if you choose a band with diamonds rather than plain metal) to go 3/4 around with the diamonds. Then, get your jeweler to create a matching wedding band that is also 3/4 around with diamonds, so they match perfectly. The rings will spin on her finger, and 3/4 coverage is much nicer. You almost never end up with the bottom of the wedding band on top.

I like the style of the prongs and shoulders on the plain metal band very much. I also really like the setting on the far right--I think it's the grain set or bead set, and it's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Hope you're all well

I met the jeweller and saw various options of setting. After seeing things in person my perspective changed a bit.

I'm now leaning towards an inverse taper with either grain set or castle set accent stones on the side. I want to have 5 stones either side of the centre stone as the proposal will be very close to 10.5 years of being together, so thought this would be a nice touch.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the engagement ring setting should be able to accommodate a standard wedding band? The type of setting I like for the stone protrudes a bit at the bottom and so won't allow a wedding band to sit flush. The jeweller said that I should think about something more band friendly and that it won't make much difference to the overall aesthetic.

I've attached an image of the designs - the setting is more to my taste on the castle set and grain set than the plain band. I think it has more presence and the setting looks more like it's made for that specific stone and as a consequence looks better. Not sure if I'm being a bit over the top though!

Apparently castle set and pave are different, but I haven't found any information clarifying this. Overall the castle set looks better, but is less practical for day to day use than the grain set. I'm going to find out if the grain set can have the ratio altered to have thinner metal channels and slightly bigger stones in the shank compared to the current image as it looks slightly unbalanced to me.

I look forward to any thoughts or feedback

Thanks!

Cad designs.jpg

If you would like the band to sit flush - I get it, it would drive me insane - I would ask the jeweler to raise the head of the stone to start from higher up so that there’s more space below the head (like here, the base of the head is basically level with the finger in your channel set mockup, but it’s much better in the plain), and so the ring will never sit flush/ if the band is pave it might rub against the basket and damage it or the prongs. If the head sits high up enough off the finger (you can do this by mounting the head on the shank and not by having the shank extend from either side of the ring head) that the gap between the finger and the head is equal to or greater than the height of the wedding band, then the rings ought to be able to sit flush. I attached a random picture from the internet to try and illustrate what I mean. And then you can have the wedding band match by having it be a channel set band as well!

2E39C7C3-B2E6-4431-901F-BBB47FCA7B5C.jpeg

claus10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your messages

I am thinking to go for either the castle set/pave or the grain/bead set in terms of the shank. I think both look better in person than on cad image from what I remember when at the jewellers. I wasn't planning on having more than 5 stones on each side as I thought this would be enough to reach the adjacent finger, I hadn't thought about the ring spinning!

I don't have a clue if the gap between the rings will bother her or not. And have no idea how to ask without giving the game away.

I'm not keen on having the stone raised higher as this will invariably be more difficult for her to wear on a daily basis - she will knock it on things and it will be something she then has to consciously think about. Her job is fairly hands on - works as a hospital pharmacist. This is one of the reasons for a basket setting rather than prongs as it is more secure! I was speaking to my mum about this and she mentioned she's lost 2 diamonds over the years as a result of prongs coming loose.

She is frugal normally (even with previous jewellery purchases) so my guess is she will want a plain wedding band (however I have been wrong many a time over the years lol so have no idea how much value my observation holds!)

My thinking is to try and hedge my bets incase I'm wrong about her future band choice. As a result I do not think the setting is anywhere near finalised - the changes I am considering are:

I prefer the aesthetic of claw prongs instead of round ones. Also I think the prongs should start on the base, be vertical and then wrap around the stone to provide space for the band.

The donut at the bottom of the ring could be used as a spacer if designed correctly to prevent any (hypothetical) stones on the band from wearing down the prongs.

This wouldn't allow the band to sit completely flush, but it would be visible that there are two rings being worn - and the gap would be marginal. It would also give her the option of only wearing one of the rings if preferred that sometimes.

I've attached an image of the setting style I think may work better (without the stones on the basket). I think it could potentially negate the issues highlighted above without raising the stone.

Thanks for all the feedback, advice and points raised, it's great to be able to discuss ideas!

Screenshot_20200710-091208.jpg

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this is gorgeous. Great idea with the donut. I think she will be thrilled with this ring.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If she’s an active lady, perhaps 6 prong with dainty claw prongs might give you both some peace of mind. Apologies if you had mentioned you only want 4 prongs. A basket similar to what you’re considering,

Keep the donut small so the band can sit flush if this is what you are going for. I don’t mind a sliver of space. :).

claus10

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! The jeweller advised against a donut as it creates one point of wear on the ring, so it's not worth it unless the wedding band will be curved around to fit it. It's been so helpful to have everyone's help and ideas with the design process

I've attached images of the final design which I opted for, it should be ready for the end of this month!
ring.jpg Ring2.jpg Ring 3.jpg

The next step is to plan how I'm going to give it to her! Thanks again everyone, I'll post an image of the actual ring once it's ready!

jBright

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! The ring is beautiful!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh that's lovely! Can't wait to see the end result & hope she loves it

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous. You have put so much care and thought into this ring, your lady is very very lucky. Can't wait to see the finished product!

claus10

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Hope you are all well

I have just received the ring and have attached a couple of images, really impressed with the workmanship and think the final product looks great!

Not sure if my photography skills match it though!

Thanks for all the advice and input into this process!

IMG_20200822_102838_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20200822_102712_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20200822_102534.jpg

L

lydial

Hello!

Hope you are all well

I have just received the ring and have attached a couple of images, really impressed with the workmanship and think the final product looks great!

Not sure if my photography skills match it though!

Thanks for all the advice and input into this process!

IMG_20200822_102838_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20200822_102712_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20200822_102534.jpg

Beautiful! Well done, she will love it!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results