shape
carat
color
clarity

ADVICE ON PICKING EMERALD CUT?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I am looking at emerald cut stones and trying to decide how much we can afford. I would like at least a carat but something that faces up larger or perhaps up to 1.25 if the budget allows. I definitely like a rectangle look and not a square. I want eye clean, VS2 or better, I like bright white -I am thinking G or better. Any advice on dimensions I should be looking for? any help is truly appreciated. This is for our anniversary. Thank you! :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/emerald-cut-diamond

This link if from the Knowledge tab at the top of the board home page and gives some parameters for
emerald cuts, also it helps to see them in person and go for the shape your eye likes after learning
about things such as light leakage and face up size for carat weight plus the recommended table size and
depth etc.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, I have read that but I guess I just need to see more stones in person. I definitely just know that from everything I have seen, I want something rectangular not square :)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the aset scope to measure light return on emerald cuts, if buying online the dealers should be able to provide
that, or you can buy one for your own use.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1388887236|3586450 said:
Thank you, I have read that but I guess I just need to see more stones in person. I definitely just know that from everything I have seen, I want something rectangular not square :)

List your budget and someone will list a few diamonds to look at... There are some people here with a great eye for EC's.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I am at the beginning of my journey with this but is $5,000.00 reasonable? or will I need to reduce my carat size?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1388926308|3586664 said:
I am at the beginning of my journey with this but is $5,000.00 reasonable? or will I need to reduce my carat size?

Definitely doable, but you may need to consider H colors as well. I got a beautiful 1.04 J color EC from JA for just over $3k that faces up like a 1.25, so make sure you look at actual dimensions as well as carat weight.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks folks!

wow ecf8503- that would be even better, I would love to pay less for the stone since the ring itself will cost money. I would love your input on dimensions.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
thanks MayK-that is a little higher than my budget but very beautiful! What is the ps discount and how do I use it? thanks!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had it "narrowed down" (ha ha) to about 10 (!) different EC's, all of which looked ok to the eye in the videos on JA. So I made a spreadsheet of sorts where I listed the table and depth and sku's as well as dimensions - and I saw that one seemed to face up larger than the others for it's weight. I then narrowed it down further after staring at JA's videos forever, then called customer service. The lady I talked to looked at some stones with me (I had the sku's handy, so that made it easier). She helped narrow it down to 3, and I requested ASET images and the geologist's assessment. As it turned out, that largest one had the best ASET and review. It is a J color, but I took the chance on it, knowing I could return it if need be. Luckily, I actually really like the color! It faces up white, although I can see a little tint in direct sunlight, and it looks great in the white gold setting I chose. No one ever comments on the color of it - they just compliment me on how pretty and sparkly it is! hth -

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1388936183|3586728 said:
Thanks folks!

wow ecf8503- that would be even better, I would love to pay less for the stone since the ring itself will cost money. I would love your input on dimensions.

When you call to order the ASET let them know you are a Pricescope Member they will give you a discount on the diamond..

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.25ct G for 5K, probably not.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
wow you guys are great-thanks! this is all so very helpful!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
ecf-I love those links-thanks! I love that 1.22 J for 4580$ wow. so pretty. can you post a pic of your J EC?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how will you be setting it???

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Well I currently have a large OE in a large halo and it is lovely but much too bulky to wear daily so I am looking for something simple, perhaps a micro pave band maybe a picture frame beading around the EC and that's it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artdecolover71|1388963985|3587009 said:
Well I currently have a large OE in a large halo and it is lovely but much too bulky to wear daily so I am looking for something simple, perhaps a micro pave band maybe a picture frame beading around the EC and that's it.

sounds beautiful. Will it be NS or EW?

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Niel- where do I find what these initials mean? I am a total newbie here :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ah sorry! NSWE, directions, you know. North south meaning the common orientation, lengthwise down your finger.

or East/West, turning it 90 degrees in the setting.

Theres a celebrity thread that has this ring in it. I think its some Swedish royalty or something. Cant Remember, either way, a fabulous example of a classic E/W style setting

0e6c68a96f8e6f2841f76806fb6cec7d.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Oh cool! How pretty!
I have a dainty finger so I was thinking traditional- north south -

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
So we are going to GOG tonight. I increased my budget and changed the parameters. Since they already made a video the first time, they didn't do one this time. It seems like only one of three stones falls within my LxW ratio but I will try to be open minded. I know in modern day emerald cuts someone from the trade said it's very difficult to find well cut EC with a higher ratio. Wish me luck!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
And I feel nervous about not knowing exactly what I want. Usually I know and I think because I have wanted this for so long, I am nervous. I don't know if what I am envisioning into head will look good in real life. Trying to just first pick the stone (that's what GOG said since we can't move forward with a design until we know the specs anyway). Thanks for everyone's advice and input,so helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results