shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on James Allen Setting Selection

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am trying to decide between two James Allen platinum settings for a 2.30 carat, round, brilliant cut diamond. The first one is a four prong, flush fit setting which would work with any wedding band. The second one is the handcrafted, six prong setting similar to Tiffany's. I have a seven stone 1.61 tcw, u-prong, low profile diamond wedding band which I will be wearing with this solitaire. The wedding band is from Costco. (third link below) FYI, I have had both four and six prong settings with other solitaires so I am torn between which one will be best for this size stone. I also want the option to wear other bands with it.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...olitaire-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-67339

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

https://www.costco.com/round-brilliant-1.61-ctw-vs2-clarity,-i-color-diamond-platinum-band.product.100499388.html

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
im probably not the best person to help by offering an opinion.

because, i don't deviate too far from what i like, im a big big fan of the classic 4 prong. I find a six prong, can be, a bit "busy looking".

4 prongs on a round diamond, sometimes causing it to appear, a bit square, is a desirable look, to me.

at 2.3ct, i think your diamond weight and size can handle a 6 prong. but if i were deciding, i would, without a doubt go with a 4 prong.

lolas_mommy

Rough_Rock
The 6 prong you selected is beautiful, won't overpower a diamond of your size, and you have the added security of 2 extra prongs.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer 6 prong. The height of your band means it probably won’t sit flush with either e-ring setting if that‘s your hope.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
im probably not the best person to help by offering an opinion.

because, i don't deviate too far from what i like, im a big big fan of the classic 4 prong. I find a six prong, can be, a bit "busy looking".

4 prongs on a round diamond, sometimes causing it to appear, a bit square, is a desirable look, to me.

at 2.3ct, i think your diamond weight and size can handle a 6 prong. but if i were deciding, i would, without a doubt go with a 4 prong.

Thanks! I am leaning towards the four prong. I actually like the fact that the four prong makes the stone look more square. My 2.0 carat shown in my avatar is in a six prong.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I am leaning towards the four prong. I actually like the fact that the four prong makes the stone look more square. My 2.0 carat shown in my avatar is in a six prong.

you are welcome! my pleasure!

from the diamond in your avatar with partial finger and hand, i would go with 4 prongs. like you, i too, like very much, the squarish appearance of a 4 prongs on a round diamond.

i wear oec studs featuring 4 claw prongs. my e-ring is 4 prongs, securing 3.5ct stone, which i also wear daily.

i find 4 prongs, just a cleaner, stronger aesthetic ...

edit**** 4 prongs is plenty secure

Last edited:

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
you are welcome! my pleasure!

from the diamond in your avatar with partial finger and hand, i would go with 4 prongs. like you, i too, like very much, the squarish appearance of a 4 prongs on a round diamond.

i wear oec studs featuring 4 claw prongs. my e-ring is 4 prongs, securing 3.5ct stone, which i also wear daily.

i find 4 prongs, just a cleaner, stronger aesthetic ...

edit**** 4 prongs is plenty secure

Thanks! I love the claw prongs on the four prong setting and it should fit nicely with my seven stone band.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i think they will look TERRIFIC together!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 6 prong. I think that it will go better with your band, but go with whichever one speaks to you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good 6 prong on a larger stone. I think one thing that feels different between the two (to me) is that the 4 prong seems a little more
contemporary with the squared-off band while the Tiffany-like setting seems more classic.

Dont think you can go wrong with either. Both beautiful settings! Good luck...come back with pictures!

Edit...maybe you're looking for something a little different since you currently have a 6 prong...maybe go with the 4?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love a good 6 prong on a larger stone. I think one thing that feels different between the two (to me) is that the 4 prong seems a little more
contemporary with the squared-off band while the Tiffany-like setting seems more classic.

Dont think you can go wrong with either. Both beautiful settings! Good luck...come back with pictures!

Edit...maybe you're looking for something a little different since you currently have a 6 prong...maybe go with the 4?

I am going with the four prong. I have 30 days to exchange/return it if I decide I want to change the setting. I love the classic look But I am looking for something different with this stone.

Now, I just have to wait....it’s in production. I will post pictures when it arrives.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the four prong better, and I think it will pair well with your band. Glad to hear you went four!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
You can have JA modify the flush fit ring to have a 6 prong head, in case you weren’t aware already. I had them do that for their flush fit pave setting and it turned out well!

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You can have JA modify the flush fit ring to have a 6 prong head, in case you weren’t aware already. I had them do that for their flush fit pave setting and it turned out well!

Do you have a photo you could share?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing! That is a gorgeous set!!!

Sure! And thanks, if I could do it again I’d probably get a Tiffany’s style setting instead of pave for a more classic look. Your ring will be gorgeous with your wedding band in either setting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results