shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on James Allen Setting Selection

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am trying to decide between two James Allen platinum settings for a 2.30 carat, round, brilliant cut diamond. The first one is a four prong, flush fit setting which would work with any wedding band. The second one is the handcrafted, six prong setting similar to Tiffany's. I have a seven stone 1.61 tcw, u-prong, low profile diamond wedding band which I will be wearing with this solitaire. The wedding band is from Costco. (third link below) FYI, I have had both four and six prong settings with other solitaires so I am torn between which one will be best for this size stone. I also want the option to wear other bands with it.

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...olitaire-engagement-ring-flush-fit-item-67339

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

https://www.costco.com/round-brilliant-1.61-ctw-vs2-clarity,-i-color-diamond-platinum-band.product.100499388.html

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
im probably not the best person to help by offering an opinion.

because, i don't deviate too far from what i like, im a big big fan of the classic 4 prong. I find a six prong, can be, a bit "busy looking".

4 prongs on a round diamond, sometimes causing it to appear, a bit square, is a desirable look, to me.

at 2.3ct, i think your diamond weight and size can handle a 6 prong. but if i were deciding, i would, without a doubt go with a 4 prong.

lolas_mommy

Rough_Rock
The 6 prong you selected is beautiful, won't overpower a diamond of your size, and you have the added security of 2 extra prongs.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer 6 prong. The height of your band means it probably won’t sit flush with either e-ring setting if that‘s your hope.

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
im probably not the best person to help by offering an opinion.

because, i don't deviate too far from what i like, im a big big fan of the classic 4 prong. I find a six prong, can be, a bit "busy looking".

4 prongs on a round diamond, sometimes causing it to appear, a bit square, is a desirable look, to me.

at 2.3ct, i think your diamond weight and size can handle a 6 prong. but if i were deciding, i would, without a doubt go with a 4 prong.
Thanks! I am leaning towards the four prong. I actually like the fact that the four prong makes the stone look more square. My 2.0 carat shown in my avatar is in a six prong.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I am leaning towards the four prong. I actually like the fact that the four prong makes the stone look more square. My 2.0 carat shown in my avatar is in a six prong.
you are welcome! my pleasure!

from the diamond in your avatar with partial finger and hand, i would go with 4 prongs. like you, i too, like very much, the squarish appearance of a 4 prongs on a round diamond.

i wear oec studs featuring 4 claw prongs. my e-ring is 4 prongs, securing 3.5ct stone, which i also wear daily.

i find 4 prongs, just a cleaner, stronger aesthetic ...

edit**** 4 prongs is plenty secure

Last edited:

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
you are welcome! my pleasure!

from the diamond in your avatar with partial finger and hand, i would go with 4 prongs. like you, i too, like very much, the squarish appearance of a 4 prongs on a round diamond.

i wear oec studs featuring 4 claw prongs. my e-ring is 4 prongs, securing 3.5ct stone, which i also wear daily.

i find 4 prongs, just a cleaner, stronger aesthetic ...

edit**** 4 prongs is plenty secure
Thanks! I love the claw prongs on the four prong setting and it should fit nicely with my seven stone band.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the 6 prong. I think that it will go better with your band, but go with whichever one speaks to you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a good 6 prong on a larger stone. I think one thing that feels different between the two (to me) is that the 4 prong seems a little more
contemporary with the squared-off band while the Tiffany-like setting seems more classic.

Dont think you can go wrong with either. Both beautiful settings! Good luck...come back with pictures!

Edit...maybe you're looking for something a little different since you currently have a 6 prong...maybe go with the 4?

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love a good 6 prong on a larger stone. I think one thing that feels different between the two (to me) is that the 4 prong seems a little more
contemporary with the squared-off band while the Tiffany-like setting seems more classic.

Dont think you can go wrong with either. Both beautiful settings! Good luck...come back with pictures!

Edit...maybe you're looking for something a little different since you currently have a 6 prong...maybe go with the 4?
I am going with the four prong. I have 30 days to exchange/return it if I decide I want to change the setting. I love the classic look But I am looking for something different with this stone.

Now, I just have to wait....it’s in production. I will post pictures when it arrives.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the four prong better, and I think it will pair well with your band. Glad to hear you went four!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
You can have JA modify the flush fit ring to have a 6 prong head, in case you weren’t aware already. I had them do that for their flush fit pave setting and it turned out well!

ClassicSAC

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You can have JA modify the flush fit ring to have a 6 prong head, in case you weren’t aware already. I had them do that for their flush fit pave setting and it turned out well!
Do you have a photo you could share?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing! That is a gorgeous set!!!
Sure! And thanks, if I could do it again I’d probably get a Tiffany’s style setting instead of pave for a more classic look. Your ring will be gorgeous with your wedding band in either setting!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Reset Heirloom Engagement Ring
    Reset Heirloom Engagement Ring
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    Diamond Station Tennis Bracelet
    What is PriceScope?
    What is PriceScope?

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.