Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

advice on height of setting and stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I am working on designing a setting for a 3 carat RB, and the wax I have had made seems to be set quite high. I have a cathedral set now and it is fine, but this setting is about 1/8" higher than that. It looked nice, but I am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice on what you have done with your rings, that are set a bit higher. I have not yet asked the jeweler/designer what our options are. I am sure they are more now, than after the ring is made!

I love the way the wax looks-(I do not have it to post pics), but I would estimate it is built up about 3/8 of an inch over my finger. Does that seem to high? I am not necessarily worried about the diamond getting damaged, but wondering how much it will get in the way.....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Height is a matter of personal preference. I personally like my rings set a little lower so I don''t bump them into things. Your ring doesn''t sound excessively high, since the stone is a large size, but perhaps they could trim the prongs and set the stone lower or adjust the wax if it bothers you?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:51:43 AM
Author:gail013
I am working on designing a setting for a 3 carat RB, and the wax I have had made seems to be set quite high. I have a cathedral set now and it is fine, but this setting is about 1/8'' higher than that. It looked nice, but I am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice on what you have done with your rings, that are set a bit higher. I have not yet asked the jeweler/designer what our options are. I am sure they are more now, than after the ring is made!

I love the way the wax looks-(I do not have it to post pics), but I would estimate it is built up about 3/8 of an inch over my finger. Does that seem to high? I am not necessarily worried about the diamond getting damaged, but wondering how much it will get in the way.....
I can''t think in terms of inches lol all I have are mm in my head!! My stone is 5.03 mm deep and I really want to get it to as close to 7mm as possible.... definitely not above 8mm. I don''t know if that''s helpful at all LOL I wish you had the pics - you do like it??

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I do really like it, maybe love it!, but it''s so hard to tell when it''s just the wax. I have pieced together a few Renaissance Plat. type styles, and I have incorporated a split shank with some graduating stones on a slightly widening taper filling in the split shanks, and a wide scalloped diamond collar that sits under and flares away from the stone. I was trying to get a sort of halo look without halo-ing around the stone in a simple circle. It''s funny, and you Cehra will understand this-I look at it and think this is nice, but can it possibly represent all those hours worth of work?!!!! What''s up with your ring today?

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
It`s just a wax at the moment.
You can ask for it to be set as low as possible,which depends on the design and the stone depth.
You don`t want a sharp culet in your finger

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:36:52 AM
Author: gail013
I do really like it, maybe love it!, but it''s so hard to tell when it''s just the wax. I have pieced together a few Renaissance Plat. type styles, and I have incorporated a split shank with some graduating stones on a slightly widening taper filling in the split shanks, and a wide scalloped diamond collar that sits under and flares away from the stone. I was trying to get a sort of halo look without halo-ing around the stone in a simple circle. It''s funny, and you Cehra will understand this-I look at it and think this is nice, but can it possibly represent all those hours worth of work?!!!! What''s up with your ring today?
that sounds awesome - I definitely am picturing something, but I can''t wait to see how close I am to reality LOL!! As for mine - I''m doing NOTHING until after the first of the year.... I need a break :razz: Okay not *nothing* I''m just going to start over and figure out how I can explain all of it to someone non local or consider going back to greenlake. I''m trying to think of which jewelers would be a good choice to consider etc. I haven''t talked to the jeweler in almost 2 weeks and I have my stone. I haven''t figured out exactly what to say to them other than that I don''t want to deal with this until after the first of the year.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 9:18:46 AM
Author: gail013
bump please!
there are several other threads on the subject.... seems the normal rnge is 7-9mm with some lower and some higher and the avg being maybe 8.5 or so. In mm. I have no idea what that is in inches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.