shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on height of setting and stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I am working on designing a setting for a 3 carat RB, and the wax I have had made seems to be set quite high. I have a cathedral set now and it is fine, but this setting is about 1/8" higher than that. It looked nice, but I am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice on what you have done with your rings, that are set a bit higher. I have not yet asked the jeweler/designer what our options are. I am sure they are more now, than after the ring is made!

I love the way the wax looks-(I do not have it to post pics), but I would estimate it is built up about 3/8 of an inch over my finger. Does that seem to high? I am not necessarily worried about the diamond getting damaged, but wondering how much it will get in the way.....
20.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Height is a matter of personal preference. I personally like my rings set a little lower so I don''t bump them into things. Your ring doesn''t sound excessively high, since the stone is a large size, but perhaps they could trim the prongs and set the stone lower or adjust the wax if it bothers you?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:51:43 AM
Author:gail013
I am working on designing a setting for a 3 carat RB, and the wax I have had made seems to be set quite high. I have a cathedral set now and it is fine, but this setting is about 1/8'' higher than that. It looked nice, but I am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice on what you have done with your rings, that are set a bit higher. I have not yet asked the jeweler/designer what our options are. I am sure they are more now, than after the ring is made!

I love the way the wax looks-(I do not have it to post pics), but I would estimate it is built up about 3/8 of an inch over my finger. Does that seem to high? I am not necessarily worried about the diamond getting damaged, but wondering how much it will get in the way.....
20.gif
I can''t think in terms of inches lol all I have are mm in my head!! My stone is 5.03 mm deep and I really want to get it to as close to 7mm as possible.... definitely not above 8mm. I don''t know if that''s helpful at all LOL I wish you had the pics - you do like it??

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I do really like it, maybe love it!, but it''s so hard to tell when it''s just the wax. I have pieced together a few Renaissance Plat. type styles, and I have incorporated a split shank with some graduating stones on a slightly widening taper filling in the split shanks, and a wide scalloped diamond collar that sits under and flares away from the stone. I was trying to get a sort of halo look without halo-ing around the stone in a simple circle. It''s funny, and you Cehra will understand this-I look at it and think this is nice, but can it possibly represent all those hours worth of work?!!!! What''s up with your ring today?

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
It`s just a wax at the moment.
You can ask for it to be set as low as possible,which depends on the design and the stone depth.
You don`t want a sharp culet in your finger
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:36:52 AM
Author: gail013
I do really like it, maybe love it!, but it''s so hard to tell when it''s just the wax. I have pieced together a few Renaissance Plat. type styles, and I have incorporated a split shank with some graduating stones on a slightly widening taper filling in the split shanks, and a wide scalloped diamond collar that sits under and flares away from the stone. I was trying to get a sort of halo look without halo-ing around the stone in a simple circle. It''s funny, and you Cehra will understand this-I look at it and think this is nice, but can it possibly represent all those hours worth of work?!!!! What''s up with your ring today?
that sounds awesome - I definitely am picturing something, but I can''t wait to see how close I am to reality LOL!! As for mine - I''m doing NOTHING until after the first of the year.... I need a break :razz: Okay not *nothing* I''m just going to start over and figure out how I can explain all of it to someone non local or consider going back to greenlake. I''m trying to think of which jewelers would be a good choice to consider etc. I haven''t talked to the jeweler in almost 2 weeks and I have my stone. I haven''t figured out exactly what to say to them other than that I don''t want to deal with this until after the first of the year.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
bump please!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 9:18:46 AM
Author: gail013
bump please!
there are several other threads on the subject.... seems the normal rnge is 7-9mm with some lower and some higher and the avg being maybe 8.5 or so. In mm. I have no idea what that is in inches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results