shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Emeralds for Eternity Band

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I've been looking at my stacking bands, and I think I'd like to add some color. I have an antique natural sapphire eternity band which I love. I'm thinking about an emerald eternity band but wonder if emerald is too soft? Perhaps I'd be better to look at ruby? This would be for occasional wear rather than a daily go-to band, and I tend to be very gentle/careful with my sparklie-babies. :D I would also like to find an antique or vintage band—maybe if the emeralds are already a bit abraded I wouldn't be so worried about wearing it?

I suppose another idea would be tsavorite or demantoid but I don't think I've ever seen an antique/vintage/estate eternity in either of these.

Thought I'd ask here before I get carried away when I'm meandering around Instagram, Etsy or even eBay, on a rare occasion.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone? :) Should I put this in a different category/forum area?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be fine for occasional wear. I’ve been told by a jeweller who deals with CS regularly that most stones are fine to wear and unless you are working with your hands, no need to be afraid of wrecking them.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Should be fine for occasional wear. I’ve been told by a jeweller who deals with CS regularly that most stones are fine to wear and unless you are working with your hands, no need to be afraid of wrecking them.
@mellowyellowgirl Thank you for this. The softness of emeralds does concern me a wee bit, but I only wear rings when I am out of the house, and never for anything that's hard on the hands/jewelry.

Emeralds would make a gorgeous addition but you're right to be a little cautious since they are softer. I think as long as you have one in decent condition already, an antique emerald band worn occasionally should be just fine. Ruby would be a safer option though. Either way, can't wait to see what unique stacking piece you end up adding to your collection!
I was actually thinking of eventually having a ruby eternity ring as well as an emerald one. :)

Don't know if you saw this thread already: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-green-emerald-chipped-already.281353/

Kinda says it all on emerald fragility.

My suggestion would be, don't go with full eternity. Make it so that the part of the ring that's on the side of your palm is just metal, otherwise just grabbing a door handle will abrade the emeralds over time.
Thank you for the informative link, @Avondale. Clearly, I need to rethink whether an emerald eternity band is right for me. I think the fact that it would be channel set would make a difference for the edge durability, however, as you mention, there would be (or could eventually be) general abrasion over the top facets.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an inexpensive emerald channel set band, you might have to pinch out the photo to see it properly.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t really worn them much @SparklieBug, they’re Zambian emeralds and didn’t cost much. I didn’t wear much jewellery in the past, (despite having lots) and now I mainly wear Bella and her BFF all the time. I really should get the other bands out and start wearing them, they’re a nice pop of colour.

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Avondale that a half-band would be better. No idea if this is correct but I think for smaller stones it's safer than a huge one, also cheaper and easier to replace in the unfortunate event that one gets damaged. So I say go for it:)

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
@Bonfire has a very pretty emerald and diamond band, check out her avatar.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @Neptune <3!

@SparklieBug I think it’s a great idea to add colored stone bands! I, like you am very careful when wearing any if my rings, especially eternities. I don’t grab handles, etc with that hand when wearing eternities. That said, I’ve had no problems with my emerald and OEC eternity band. I may have a few ”flea bites” but I say wear what you love and enjoy it. They are so beautiful in a stack! Can’t wait to see what you choose!

Last edited:

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@Bonfire I too, avoid using my "eternity" hand (haha!) for doorhandles, and carrying things. The color of the emeralds in your avatar photo is glorious!

I was deep down the rabbit hole looking at tsavorite bands last evening, and comparing to emerald colors, so it may be a wee while before I actually make a choice!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Emerald hardness is 7.5 to 8. Tsavorite garnet hardness is 7 to 7.5.
Emeralds are actually one of the harder stones. Harness is a measure of a gems resistance to being scratched. The hardness scale in linear, it's ordinal. So for example a sapphire (hardness 9) is twice as hard as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is 4 times harder than sapphire.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds are actually one of the harder stones. Harness is a measure of a gems resistance to being scratched. The hardness scale in linear, it's ordinal. So for example a sapphire (hardness 9) is twice as hard as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is 4 times harder than sapphire.

Oooh, good to know. I somehow thought that "garnet" would be sturdier than emerald. :roll2:

I am "numbers challenged"...and this, "So for example a sapphire (hardness 9) is twice as hard as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is 4 times harder than sapphire." is making me officially dizzy. :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am "numbers challenged"...and this, "So for example a sapphire (hardness 9) is twice as hard as topaz (8), but diamond (10) is 4 times harder than sapphire." is making me officially dizzy. :D

"If one train leaves the station going north 30mph and another train going south at 50mph leaves the station at the other end, and the moon is full and the donuts are $1 each or $10 for a dozen, when does the cock crow..."

Yes, I know what you mean! :oops2::lol-2:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
David Klass has had this one on etsy for awhile. I love it! You might want to reach out to him about making one:

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 9.14.41 PM.png

That’s a good idea—start with a new ring, and the emeralds would be in great shape! This design looks like they’d be well protected, too. Thank you, @PinkAndBlueBling.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gene any advice or information on sapphire vs spinel? Spinel is often touted as decently hard but I am suspicious! Would love to know how it compares to sapphire.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! Good question, @mellowyellowgirl.

I forgot about spinel. Is green spinel much of an option, color-wise, as an alternative to emerald or tsavorite? [Off to Mr. Google to see what I can see...:D]

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooh, good to know. I somehow thought that "garnet" would be sturdier than emerald. :roll2:

"Sturdier" and hardness are not the same thing. What causes emerald to get the reputation of being a fragile stone is that most emeralds are very heavily included. The oil goes into the inclusions, making them harder to see, but doesn't give the stone any strength. A very fine clean emerald is a durable stone, but also very expensive. The lab grown emeralds are very clean, and very durable.
Hardness lets you know what will scratch something. Almost every common gemstone is harder than a knife, glass or nail (all around 5.5 to 6.6 Mohs)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Good question, @mellowyellowgirl.

I forgot about spinel. Is green spinel much of an option, color-wise, as an alternative to emerald or tsavorite? [Off to Mr. Google to see what I can see...:D]

Honestly I think you should just go for it! Nothing compares to the glow of an emerald for those of us who are into that look.

I have a small emerald that I bought with a surface reaching inclusion. I don’t even know the oil level but I’ve been wearing it probably once a month for years and it’s absolutely fine.

I think if you’re wearing it out to lunch or around the grocery store you’ll be fine. I wear a giant, unwieldy rubellite shopping all the time and it hasn’t got a single scratch on it. Similarly this zircon that I hate gets worn all the time and nothing has happened to it!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, everyone! Love the photos, @Austina, and that's great to know that clear emerald is relatively durable, @PrecisionGem.

I went exploring, and am thinking to purchase some very inexpensive Swarovski crystal bands, one in "emerald", and one in "ruby" to see if I even like the different looks of green/red in my stack! I adore my blue sapphire eternity band, however blue is a fave color so that might be skewing things.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, everyone! Love the photos, @Austina, and that's great to know that clear emerald is relatively durable, @PrecisionGem.

I went exploring, and am thinking to purchase some very inexpensive Swarovski crystal bands, one in "emerald", and one in "ruby" to see if I even like the different looks of green/red in my stack! I adore my blue sapphire eternity band, however blue is a fave color so that might be skewing things.

dont forget to post them ... maybe in the fashion jewlery forum? so we can see them

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a great idea. Test drive some color and see if it suits! Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results