shape
carat
color
clarity

New green Emerald chipped already

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
Hi.

I got engaged back in Sept 2023. After only 4 weeks I noticed a small chip and hairline crack in my ring. We took it back to the jewellers and they confirmed this and put it down to being very unfortunate. (I had been removing the ring when sleeping, showering, cleaning, exercising etc.) I took very good care of it so I don't understand how this happened. They said I could claimtj through the insurance but I decided the crack was so tiny only I would notice it. Anyway today I noticed another small chip. I've been reducing the amounts of times wearing the ring as I'm actually so scared to do it more damaged and I've managed it AGAIN.

Could it be a faulty emerald ? Any help is much appreciated as my jeweller isn't helping at all!!!

First two photos is of the first chip
3rd photo is the one I noticed today

AN IMG-20231008-WA0009.jpg IMG-20231008-WA0011.jpg IMG-20240103-WA0005.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have macro photos (like you’ve posted) of the stone and maybe again after mounted in the ring when you first got it?

Not doubting your story - but cementing all those weren’t already there ( or the beginnings of them) is part to consider.

Whether or not the emerald is ‘faulty’ to begin with …… up to interpretation to a point.
Any lab reports come with your stone? What information does it contain?

I also would be asking myself:
You_Doodle_2024-01-03T15_40_37Z.jpeg
Would it have been harder for me to damage with mindful wear?

I’m sorry for the situation for you. :(

Last edited:

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
I don't have any macro photos unfortunately of the ring when I got it, but I definitely would of noticed the first hair line crack if it was like that to start with. I'm a bit OCD like that.

I don't think my fiancé received a lab report. When we took it back to the jewellers the first time they mentioned about not being able to map out emeralds like you can with diamond so it didn't come with a certificate.

Just totally gutted, the only 'help' we got was to replace the stone for a new one through insurance..

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
Do you have macro photos (like you’ve posted) of the stone and maybe again after mounted in the ring when you first got it?

Not doubting your story - but cementing all those weren’t already there ( or the beginnings of them) is part to consider.

Whether or not the emerald is ‘faulty’ to begin with …… up to interpretation to a point.
Any lab reports come with your stone? What information does it contain?

I also would be asking myself:
You_Doodle_2024-01-03T15_40_37Z.jpeg
Would it have been harder for me to damage with mindful wear?

I’m sorry for the situation for you. :(

I also thought it might be cause the stone is more exposed. I'm not sure how easy it would be to have the stone moved further down into the ring setting Im totally clueless.

My fiancé had it made specially and I'd feel like I'm hurting his feelings by changing anything

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color me wrong
I would have run fast and far from a jeweler who said there’s no lab report because you can’t map out inclusions on emeralds in comparison to diamonds.
I’m stickly like that.

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I didn't pick where the ring came from or I think I would of been the same! If I replace the emerald I will be asking for a lab report next time

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry this has happened. For all their beauty, emeralds are fragile.
Would you consider a new setting? A delicate bezel would help protect the girdle. I recommend David Klass.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry--it must be very painful to damage a ring that's so important to you. Unfortunately, emeralds--especially natural emeralds--are fragile and not suitable for daily wear. If it were me, I would replace the emerald with a sturdier stone, such as a diamond or sapphire, or with a lab emerald. Lab emeralds have fewer inclusions, making them less likely to break (and cheaper to replace when they do).

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
The stone can be repolished, and the setting can be more protective, but emeralds, as much as I love them, are soft and best suited to going out to dinner. I have a friend who loves emeralds, and her engagement ring is a diamond with 2 gorgeous emeralds on either side.

I‘m sorry this happened. It happened to me with a sapphire, and I’m much more careful now about when I wear my colored stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. Emerald isn't a good choice for a daily wear ring, and rhe jeweler sounds shady. I would probably replace the stone with a green sapphire or other green stone that's stronger (you could find a green lab diamond if you're open to that).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone can be repolished

Would you need a recut not just a polish ?
And would that require a lab report prior to find out what they are dealing with? Idk?
Sentimentality vs what’s the initial amount paid for the stone to what’ll it cost for all that involved (plus the risk of ending up with nothing) is the decision kicker - imo.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Just totally gutted, the only 'help' we got was to replace the stone for a new one through insurance..

Well, there isn't much else the jeweller can do, really. A damaged stone cannot be fixed, and an emerald isn't like CZ, you can't just easily replace one stone with another.

Don't get me wrong, that jeweller totally isn't someone I'd trust with emeralds. Emeralds (all coloured stones, really) can and most definitely do get lab reports, same as diamonds. Their lab reports focus on different details and qualities, but they're lab reports still. So either the jeweller didn't know that, or they lied to you.

As the others have already mentioned, emeralds just are that fragile. Do you remember accidentally brushing the ring against the edge of furniture, or a door handle perhaps? When taking it off, dropping it on a hard surface? Even minor things like that can damage it.

Furthermore (and that's why a lab report can be so important), the more included an emerald is, the more fragile it will be. Just the nature of things. Most emeralds are clarity enhanced, so you're unable to see how included they really are. If the emerald your fiancé chose for you is moderately or significantly oiled, that would mean the stone is even more prone to damage compared to a more clear emerald which is already very easy to chip and scratch. So even though there isn't really such a term as faulty stone, you can definitely end up with one that has lower structural integrity.

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
I'm also in Scotland so I think the rules are a bit different when it comes to lab reports, the emerald is only 0.88ct so I think it needs to be over a certain value for it to come with a report otherwise you need to request one yourself?

I cannot polish it as it will reduce in size and weight and would need the whole ring modified.

It's a difficult situation. I either change to a green sapphire or replace for a different emerald or just keep it as it is and hopefully it doesn't get worse.

It is insured so if it does get worse I can claim for a new stone

It's just very upsetting as I've only had it under 3 months

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
The ring seems pretty sentimental (totally understand), I'd have it reset lower in the same setting for more protection.
If you/fiance are open to it, for more protection and longevity, I'd reset it into a bezel setting, or a flush set gypsy style ring. Then get a different gem for your current setting, and still have it set much lower than the current emerald is.
Can you show us a photo from the top on hand, not macro? Then we can see what it currently looks like, damage and all and advise you better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That happened to my emerald, it turned out that there was some resin that fell out when I had it set. It looked like a chip, and it was along the girdle too. Emeralds are brittle because of hidden surface cracks. I suspect the same thing happened because there is a surface fissure that looks connected to that chip. Perhaps retreating with a modern stable resin will help.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Esmeloud I'm in Scotland too (central belt), it's not that the rules re lab reports are different here, it's just that lab reports aren't particularly a 'thing' since most consumers wouldn't know that such reports exist. It also doesn't necessarily make your jeweller shady, since most jewellers exist to sell jewellery, they aren't necessarily experts in gem stones (although if your ring was bespoke then I would expect a higher degree of gem stone knowledge). Your ring is beautiful and I'm sorry that the stone is chipped and that you're upset.

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered taking the emerald from your ring and setting it into a pendant? Then perhaps you could put a different, harder stone into your existing ring setting. In this way you would still be wearing the same engagement ring (setting) and still be able to wear the emerald without the worry of banging it and damaging it more.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, you already know that emeralds are soft and someone mentioned that they can also be fractured filled or whatever, and that the filling can be lost.

It seems like something has to give here for the happiest, longest-lasting resolution. Personally, the thing I'd give up is the sentimentality factor because I don't think it would be worth it to have that stone repaired. It's still a softer stone and also may have been treated in a way that further damage is likely in the future. And of course, a different emerald or green stone still would not be the original. (Also, in my experience, most of the green sapphires I've seen haven't been that pretty of a shade of green).

Through no fault of either of you, that stone just didn't work out, but you still have the setting. You could just pick whatever stone you find that you really like, that fits the setting, is in your budget and is hard/rugged. The hardest ones are diamond and sapphire, mined or lab, any color. You could get a lab stone cut to fit the setting, if needed. JMO and good luck with it!

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, emeralds are just really fragile, you can't get any chemicals on them, you have to careful how you clean, they nick and crack. It's the nature of the beast.
But they are oh, so beautiful.

It's great advice about getting it reset and re-resined.
All is not lost, it didn't totally fracture!
Traditionally they use cedar oil- that has to be periodically redone. There are other more permanent epoxy type treatments like Opticon that are even more stable. There are considerations to both that you might want to read up on.
I don't think I would use your jeweler for this work, you have to find someone who is familiar with colored stones. It's a whole different skillset.

More great advice given that I echo: the most economical thing right this minute is to get a really nice lab emerald and put it in your setting while you decide what it is you want to do. You'll have the look without the worry. You'll have to get your current stone unmounted if you want to repair it in any event so you could swap them out.

Then you can explore and weigh all your options while still having a fabulous ring that will be an everyday wear.

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
Hi @Esmeloud I'm in Scotland too (central belt), it's not that the rules re lab reports are different here, it's just that lab reports aren't particularly a 'thing' since most consumers wouldn't know that such reports exist. It also doesn't necessarily make your jeweller shady, since most jewellers exist to sell jewellery, they aren't necessarily experts in gem stones (although if your ring was bespoke then I would expect a higher degree of gem stone knowledge). Your ring is beautiful and I'm sorry that the stone is chipped and that you're upset.

Yes I don't think the jewellers are shady. They have a very well reputation. I'm not going to name any names but they are also in the cental belt! Just my luck it's happened to me soo soon after getting my ring

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
That's a real shame the emerald has chipped.

If you do replace it, have you considered a tsavorite? It's tougher than emerald, with a lot more sparkle and a similar vivid green colour.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've also thought about changing to a green sapphire. What upsets me more is I've not been wearing it daily for this reason and it still has chipped

im so sorry to read this especially as you were taking care
i love emeralds
i think a green saphire would be a better option and you could wear it a lot more often
i alos love the idea of a pendant with your eemerald and a lab one for your ER setting while you deside what you want to do

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the notion of changing out the stone for something more durable, and then using your beloved emerald in a pendant. While every once in a while there's a story on here about someone who's been happily married for 30+ years and still wears the same emerald engagement ring with very little damage, the majority of folks are either warned away from it at outset, or come back with worries like yours. It certainly looks like a beautiful emerald and looks great on your hand (not to mention its huge significance). But it could look equally lovely in a pendant, worn close to your heart...

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
From your photo, which is greatly enlarged, it doesn't look like the spot on the girdle is very large, I would think in normal viewing you wouldn't really see it unless you went looking for it.

Emeralds are not soft, enact they are pretty hard. Harder than tourmaline, garnet and many other stones. What the issue is, is the inclusions, which allow parts of the stone to break away. A flawless or nearly flawless emerald would be a very durable stone, as are the lab grown crystals that are clean. A heavily included diamond could break away pieces just like an emerald.

Esmeloud

Rough_Rock
From your photo, which is greatly enlarged, it doesn't look like the spot on the girdle is very large, I would think in normal viewing you wouldn't really see it unless you went looking for it.

Emeralds are not soft, enact they are pretty hard. Harder than tourmaline, garnet and many other stones. What the issue is, is the inclusions, which allow parts of the stone to break away. A flawless or nearly flawless emerald would be a very durable stone, as are the lab grown crystals that are clean. A heavily included diamond could break away pieces just like an emerald.

You are correct, nobody would be able to notice this, only myself and anyone that looked really hard at it! I just know its there and I'm so worried to wear the ring and make it worse.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a real shame the emerald has chipped.

If you do replace it, have you considered a tsavorite? It's tougher than emerald, with a lot more sparkle and a similar vivid green colour.

I will say that I have numerous Tsavorites, almost all bezel set, and I still manage to get little nicks on some of the facet edges for the ones I’ve worn most often. Nature of colored stones I think, or maybe I’m just extra extra clumsy. I haven’t seen any cracks though so it may still be a better choice since I think small “flea bites” are easier to polish out whereas cracks are riskier.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results