shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Diamond Return and Whiteflash

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Slightly embarrassed to make this post but here it goes. I recently purchased diamond studs from Whiteflash and adore them already. But that purchase has made me rethink my engagement ring a bit. My partner bought the ring from another vendor, and it's beautiful with good specs. However, I'm now wondering if an ACA from Whiteflash would be a better choice. Whiteflash also has a much better upgrade policy, and while I never thought I would want to upgrade, I'm now having second thoughts about that as well. My ring is still within the return period so I could go that route. But I'm afraid it will really hurt my partner's feelings if I ask about it. And I would have to downgrade both color and clarity to get close to the same size as my current ring. Advice or thoughts? Thanks!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded my gia xxx with great specs to an ACA. I did have to go down in color but I really think my new ACA J is as white looking as the I that I traded. I notice a difference in the amount of white light return and the barely detectable ring of darkness that my gia xxx had is gone in the ACA. WF has an exceptional upgrade policy as well. So while it was expensive to make the trade for a diamond that is lower color, I consider it a great decision. I love my ACA and really don't think I could be as happy with a lesser cut. Just my experience. Good luck with your journey!

ETA Similar to your situation, I also traded my gia xxx after having bought ACA studs. For about 6 months I compared my well cut gia to the studs and decided that I could indeed see the difference!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can we ge the specs and pics of your diamond?

Caly27

Rough_Rock
The ring is sequestered pending engagement after I got to look at it so can't get pics. But I can give the specs. G, VS1, 1.4 carats, Table 55, Depth 61.7, Crown angle 34, Pavilion angle 40.8, and the girdle is medium to slightly thick faceted. Not sure if I'm missing anything else that would be relevant.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
For the same general size at whiteflash, it looks like I'd have to go down to an H and SI1.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
Oh, forgot to add the measurements. 7.17 - 7.22 x 4.44 mm.

@ohsomethingshiny, I'm thinking about the H now, too. In part, because my studs are Hs, and they seem completely white to me. I know color might show a tad more in a larger stone but am very impressed with them.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A super ideal H will be white, as you have noticed from your studs. Do you have IS or ASET for your current stone?

I would like to add that it will be MUCH more expensive if you wait until after the return period. Selling or trading your stone will result in a loss and the ACA will be that much more expensive. If you are seriously thinking about it, now is the time. Lol, I speak from experience!

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring is sequestered pending engagement after I got to look at it so can't get pics. But I can give the specs. G, VS1, 1.4 carats, Table 55, Depth 61.7, Crown angle 34, Pavilion angle 40.8, and the girdle is medium to slightly thick faceted. Not sure if I'm missing anything else that would be relevant.
Hmm, it’s already very close to ACA cut parameters.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASET looks nice, the numbers are very good, HCA is 1. In your case, I would consider the upgrade policy and what you see yourself doing in the future. You have a very nice diamond already.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just want to address the emotional side a bit. You say you're afraid you will really hurt your partners feelings if you go down this route and if that's true I would say it's not worth it. Diamonds are after all only shiny rocks. Nice expensive shiny rocks but not worth hurting someone over.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASET looks nice, the numbers are very good, HCA is 1. In your case, I would consider the upgrade policy and what you see yourself doing in the future. You have a very nice diamond already.
+1 to this - the HCA score indicates the angles on your current stone are already working well :) and while it might not have the precise optical symmetry of the 'Super Ideal' stones, it should still perform well!

The 'what if...' thoughts are always strong, though, I always get them myself when I purchase something (anything! :lol:) where there are a number of different options available.

Perhaps you could ask your partner about their views on upgrades in the longer term - if they are amenable to the concept, you could put it to them that the PS-recommended vendors offer excellent upgrade policies, much better than the place you bought the current stone from, so it would make financial sense to swap now...

FWIW I would also be in a bit of a quandary at this point - I am a clarity and colour freak, so I don't think I could drop to an SI1 unless very definitely eye-clean, even though I could probably stretch to an H! lol

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you have a very nice diamond already which is confirmed by the ASET. Differences between your stone and super ideals will be mostly detectable by trained professionals or by staring and studying both side by side to learn the differences. I don't know the specs of your studs, but the one thing I'd note is that your studs probably have more fire if their crown angles are closer or > than 34.5.

I'm not sure if it's worth going through the trouble UNLESS you see yourself upgrading in the future or if it's more of a mind clean thing knowing you have a super ideal is more important. I love G VS1 with fat arrows and a tiny table!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond will be gorgeous @Caly27! Truly. You guys did really really well.

What’s your current vendor’s upgrade policy? Switching vendors is definitely a hassle post-purchase, and the emotional component puts it firmly in the “not worth it” category for me given the quality of stone you’ve already got and the sacrifices you’d need to make on other Cs to stay in-budget... but if you know you want to upgrade and your current vendor’s policies aren’t to satisfaction that is, at the very least, worth a discussion with your SO, as PPs have already brought up.

Last edited:

Caly27

Rough_Rock
@ceg, @OoohShiny, @ac117, and @yssie The upgrade point is a good one and hard for me to weigh. I adore bigger diamonds, which aren't in the budget for us at the moment, and that makes the upgrade policy really appealing. But I can be a touch sentimental, and part of me thinks that it would be lovely to have a stone to pass on to our child beginning their marital journey that had been picked my partner, used in the proposal, and worn for decades through thick and thin. (Hopefully didn't just jinx myself there.) I know he put a fair amount of effort into the selection, and he's not normally a shopper or researcher so that means a lot.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:kiss2:
@ceg, @OoohShiny, @ac117, and @yssie The upgrade point is a good one and hard for me to weigh. I adore bigger diamonds, which aren't in the budget for us at the moment, and that makes the upgrade policy really appealing. But I can be a touch sentimental, and part of me thinks that it would be lovely to have a stone to pass on to our child beginning their marital journey that had been picked my partner, used in the proposal, and worn for decades through thick and thin. (Hopefully didn't just jinx myself there.) I know he put a fair amount of effort into the selection, and he's not normally a shopper or researcher so that means a lot.
Given all this, I’d love the heck out of the beautiful current diamond. :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto. Keep your beautiful stone, enjoy it for decades, and pass it on one day with love and memories :kiss2:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently upgraded my gia xxx with great specs to an ACA. I did have to go down in color but I really think my new ACA J is as white looking as the I that I traded. I notice a difference in the amount of white light return and the barely detectable ring of darkness that my gia xxx had is gone in the ACA. WF has an exceptional upgrade policy as well. So while it was expensive to make the trade for a diamond that is lower color, I consider it a great decision. I love my ACA and really don't think I could be as happy with a lesser cut. Just my experience. Good luck with your journey!

ETA Similar to your situation, I also traded my gia xxx after having bought ACA studs. For about 6 months I compared my well cut gia to the studs and decided that I could indeed see the difference!

Agree with all of the others here. Keep it; it has near perfect numbers and will be beautiful! Since he researched and tried hard to find a beautiful stone (with great success!), enjoy your awesome diamond!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should keep it. It’s a nice, big diamond.

Caly27

Rough_Rock
@whitewave haha. I wouldn't be surprised. I know he was looking at several online resources in addition to brick and mortar stores. Oddly enough, he didn't care at all about the setting selection once he picked the diamond. :eek2:

Thank you all. I figured it would be a slam dunk for whiteflash given that it's still in the return period for my current ring. But reading your thoughts and assessments has helped to crystallize things. I don't want to upset him, and the off-chance that I'll want an upgrade later isn't worth it. However, that doesn't mean there won't be mentions of whiteflash for other jewelry around the holidays. :whistle: Maybe a little right hand ring action down the road.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I think you are being very logical about what you know that you want. He already showed you the ring so it is clear he wanted your approval. He wanted to make sure you were happy. I don’t think it’s a big deal to bring this up.
Withholding your feelings at this point will result in a costly upgrade in the future— that’s the worst case scenario. What will bringing up this issue result in now? Only you can decide. You can already tell what I would do. lol.
ETA: We replied at the same time. Lol. Also. One thing to consider. Sometimes guys don’t know just how PS nutty we can be about bling. Their frame of reference when it comes to the ring might be based on their mother or sibling. Something to think about. That just means they need more input about our addiction!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So do you like your setting??? Or is it something you also don’t want to bring up for fear of hurting his feelings. Bc imo, that would be a good opportunity for you to bring up the whole issue!

Caly27

Rough_Rock
So do you like your setting??? Or is it something you also don’t want to bring up for fear of hurting his feelings. Bc imo, that would be a good opportunity for you to bring up the whole issue!

I do like the setting. But I think that was more by happenstance than anything else. I also just tend to like a wide range of settings so wasn't hard for him to deliver on that. It really is a bit of a war between my logical and sentimental side. Logically, I know having greater options in the future is good but I'm not sure it's worth the cost now for something that only has a small chance of happening. And I do think the current diamond is beautiful.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know having greater options in the future is good

Upgrading/selling/trading a preloved diamond on your own, without a policy with a specific vendor, is never easy... but your stone is a popular and desirable size/colour/clarity (in the US) and it's very nicely cut - I'm confident you would have options should you decide to upgrade in future, especially if you take your time with that project.

What I'm trying to say is... yes, it would certainly be more difficult than upgrading with WF, but you aren't closing doors by choosing to keep the stone.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading/selling/trading a preloved diamond on your own, without a policy with a specific vendor, is never easy... but your stone is a popular and desirable size/colour/clarity (in the US) and it's very nicely cut - I'm confident you would have options should you decide to upgrade in future, especially if you take your time with that project.

What I'm trying to say is... yes, it would certainly be more difficult than upgrading with WF, but you aren't closing doors by choosing to keep the stone.

Agreed - additionally, prices are on the lower side now. So if diamond prices increase over time (which they inevitably do), you could still potentially get your money back or at least get closer to what you paid.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has already been covered, but I would keep your current diamond. When a man goes to all that trouble, it’s good to honor that level of care. You are lucky! he picked out a great diamond. You can be proud of him and he can be proud of having pleased you.

Believe me, there is always some other diamond that will get you thinking. It’s not unusual to feel this way. It is second guessing and I do that too, but this stone is very special I think.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your diamond sounds beautiful, I would keep it. Do you have pictures???;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results