shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a 1 ct.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmv78

Rough_Rock
I recently made a decision on a diamond and it is currently being put into a setting. However, before I fork over the cash I thought I would get your opinions. The diamond I am looking at is an H SI1 that is not certified. By examining it with a 10x it is a very clear diamond with only one noticeable inclusion that is in the outer ring of the diamond, and is only barely noticeable without the loupe. In comparing it with other diamonds the color and cut also appear to be very good. The price written with the diamond is 4200/6400 which I am understanding as the asking price and the retail or whatever. Originally they were going to sell it to me for 4200, but because they are a client of the accounting firm I work for they are giving it to me for 3850. My question is about getting it appraised. They have said that they will give me a certified appraisal and when I asked which price it would be (4200 or 6400). They told me they could do it either way, but they would suggest having it appraised at the lower for insurance purposes. Should I also get it appraised somewhere else? If so where, and what should my expectations be.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lmv78, if the diamond is as represented, the price is comparable with similar GIA certified diamonds in the internet, which is rather good.However, there are a few factors you should know in order to compare the prices more accurately: proportions, girdle, fluorescence, etc. You probably know that 1 carat is a magical but dangerous weight because cutters sacrifice the cut quality very often just to get in this weight range.If you feel comfortable with your jewelers and trust them, you can use their appraisal for insurance purposes. However, if you're concerned about possible misrepresentation, you might want to ask for independent expert opinion. Alternatively, you can ask for AGS (faster) or GIA report and pay for it only if the report will match their grades. Higher appraisal value means you're paying more for insurance.

lmv78

Rough_Rock
Originally I had wanted a cert diamond, but couldn't find one with the specs I wanted. One I did look at had the same clarity and color, but a very large table (66%). While I don't know the actual proportions on the one I plan to get, it has a lot more sparkle than the cert. The person I'm working with said that he was estimating about a 60% table. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as far as the girdle when I examined it. Nonetheless, thanks for your input leonid...

Bug-Z

Rough_Rock
Thx leonid, How bout just me mailing a check or money order to purchase the Ideal Scope, maybe its just my Internet paranoia but i am leary about handing out my Credit Card info...If i could get an address i could mail a money order for the right amount including shipping if i know what it is then enclose my mailing info in the letter. Is this possible? If so could i get the right address i need to send it to. Thx again you have been helpful, still searching Bug-Z

Bug-Z

Rough_Rock
Cut-Nut i would like to buy a Ideal Scope but would rather do it over the phone, there is no number i could locate on the Pricescope site...Do you know of one? I could really use this Ideal Scope and need to order it can you help me get a number to call? Note: i dont want to fax i want to talk to someone...Thx still searching Bug-Z

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
You can fax your order to +011-61-3-9836-3802, Attn: Chris Pike. or email me your postal address and call at 905.763.8788

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results