shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed from keen cooks please!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Advice please from keen cooks with kitchen gadgets.

I have a Magimix 5200 XL food processor, and am contemplating getting a Kenwood Titanium Chef XL (similar to a Kitchenaid), as I find the Magimix cumbersome to clean.

I am making larger batches of cookies and cakes etc., and am tempted to do more pastries and even breads, and I thought about getting a Kenwood.

Is it OTT to get both, or they serve sufficiently different purposes to warrant getting both? In a lot of the cookery programmes I watch on the Food Network, both types of machines are put to good use.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

DK :))

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I think the gadgets serve different purposes. If you are looking to bake a lot, I'd definitely recommend getting the mixer!

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer a lot and it's great for making cookies, cakes, and doughs. I am actually debating getting a food processor too as it's better for chopping - the Kitchen Aid attachments are a bit cumbersome to use!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use my Kitchen Aid for baking exclusively. That would be my choice for cakes and cookies.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's OTT to get a specific mixer for what you want to get it for. I'm not making big batches etc but a stand mixer does make it easy to do cakes, biscuits etc and it's much easier to clean up than a food processor. I have a KitchenAid and love it

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Bosch Mum 5 (UK model), was originally thinking of Kitchenaid but reviews said the Bosch Mum has a more powerful motor (1000W) compared to Kitchenaid (300 to 400W) for a similar price. If you're looking at Kitchenaid you might want to check which model you get as I heard that some newer models have gears made of plastic (instead of metal) and are mostly suitable for making soft items like cake and cookies, not bread dough. The Bosch works great for low hydration (ie stiff) bread doughs like bagels, and it whips up egg whites perfectly. I love the attachements like meat grinder, juicer, shredder, chopper etc too. I find the design quite user-friendly and ergonomic. I also find it easy to clean, which is an important consideration for me! I thought about changing to a Kitchenaid when I moved to North America but in the end I couldn't bear to part with my Bosch and brought it with me. I'm mostly a bread baker and only rarely make cake and cookies so your priorities may differ based on what you bake most frequently.

Drakiol

Rough_Rock
Depending on the volume of baking, buy a submersible (namely submersible, where the bowl is fixed, and the whisks are on top and also fixed). A good electric meat grinder or blender, depending on the materials you work with. I do not really like combines because of their unreliability, and good ones are too expensive.

Q

Queenie60

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for most things. It has a pasta attachment, a food grinder and mixes batters and similar things quite well. For minor chopping I have a Quisinart mini prep. I use this for herbs, garlic and other small amounts of chopping.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hobart, an Ohio company that first attracted a lot of attention in the early 1900's because of their then-innovative mixers for commercial use (the US government had them installed on US Navy ships shortly before the outbreak of WW I), introduced their first KitchenAid stand mixer for residential use about 30 years before a Kenwood made its debut, in the UK, in 1950.

So Kenwood isn't nearly as well-known to most of us in the US. I don't think that Kenwood even sold its mixers here until maybe 1990 or perhaps even later, after Deonghi bought Kenwood and began selling Kenwood mixers under its name to US customers.

I agree with those who've opined that it's not OTT to have two appliances that capably fulfill different needs -- especially since you're now doing more catering. I'm sorry I can't be of meaningful help to you: last year, I purchased via eBay a mint condition, solid state Hobart KitchenAid that was manufactured in Ohio circa 1980 because I wanted one not made in China. (Whirlpool bought out Hobart in the mid-80's and moved production of KitchenAid components to China.).

There's a small cottage industry here in the States of people who are willing and able, at least for the time being, to repair vintage KitchenAids. But otherwise, it's a bleak landscape here for small appliance repair (and the environment). So I don't know if it would make a lot of sense for you to seriously consider a used Kenwood Titanium Chef. How long is the UK warranty for a new one?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenwood is a great brand
my mum got one as a wedding present in 1965 and mum uses that thing every day when we were growing up
my sister still uses it (her's didn't survive the Christ church earthquake)

worth every penny

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Similar advice has been received from a FB group for cookery books that I participate, in that two types of machines serve sufficiently different purposes to warrant getting both.

When I was looking to get a stand blender machine, the reviews for Kenwood were better than Kitchenaid as a brand in UK.

I had my heart set on a KA, being so iconic and widely reviewed until I read the comparison reviews.

Kenwood is a British brand, and the model I am considering has features such as stainless steel attachments with no coatings and dials rather than levers that I like.

I shall read the more recent reviews as it has been a while since I read them.

One thing for certain, I am not getting the ones that one can cook with, as more than one bowl is usually required for what I make.

Thank you all again for your advice.

kitten24

Rough_Rock
I have both appliances and use them often. I bought the Kenwood after many hours of reading reviews and while it's not as pretty as a Kitchenaid, I am really happy with how it performs. For big batches of baking it is fantastic!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have both appliances and use them often. I bought the Kenwood after many hours of reading reviews and while it's not as pretty as a Kitchenaid, I am really happy with how it performs. For big batches of baking it is fantastic!

I actually prefer the look of a Kenwood to KA.

Now I need to decide if I need a XL version.

Considering I only have a single oven and takes 2 baking trays at a time, I believe I should go for the standard size.

Afterall, the highest number of eggs I had ever used in one go was about 8!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Bosch Mum 5 (UK model), was originally thinking of Kitchenaid but reviews said the Bosch Mum has a more powerful motor (1000W) compared to Kitchenaid (300 to 400W) for a similar price. If you're looking at Kitchenaid you might want to check which model you get as I heard that some newer models have gears made of plastic (instead of metal) and are mostly suitable for making soft items like cake and cookies, not bread dough. The Bosch works great for low hydration (ie stiff) bread doughs like bagels, and it whips up egg whites perfectly. I love the attachements like meat grinder, juicer, shredder, chopper etc too. I find the design quite user-friendly and ergonomic. I also find it easy to clean, which is an important consideration for me! I thought about changing to a Kitchenaid when I moved to North America but in the end I couldn't bear to part with my Bosch and brought it with me. I'm mostly a bread baker and only rarely make cake and cookies so your priorities may differ based on what you bake most frequently.

Sorry @dk168 thread jack ahead:

I have the Bosch mum for the same reasons. Ver happy with the motor, however I find smaller quantities difficult. Especially beating eggs. The bowl is so big that the minimum us about 4/5 egg whites. Otherwise the whisk won't touch the eggs..

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @dk168 thread jack ahead:

I have the Bosch mum for the same reasons. Ver happy with the motor, however I find smaller quantities difficult. Especially beating eggs. The bowl is so big that the minimum us about 4/5 egg whites. Otherwise the whisk won't touch the eggs..

I've found that as well. I usually won't break out the mixer for fewer than 3 eggs. I'd rather just use a whisk and bowl,easier clean up as well.

@dk168 I would like to know your review of the Kenwood if you do purchase it. Bosch is not available in Canada so if/when my current machine snuffs it I'm considering getting a Kenwood as a replacement. (my Bosch is 7 yrs old and still works the same as the day I got it, but it can't hurt to window shop!)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks mochiko, at leat I didn't miss any functions on the appliance!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get yourself a powerful bench mixer if you're an avid baker.

I cook and bake looooots and find different machines serve different purposes. As long as you use them frequently it's fine to own them.

I have a hand mixer just got chiffon cakes and meringues. Boys eat chiffon cake twice a week so that mixer gets good use.

Tell us what you end up buying!

I own two air fryers, a bench mixer, to hand mixers, mini food processor, big food processor. All used to death :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results