shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed: Colored Sapphire Search & Supplier

Jajabis

Rough_Rock
I've decided to go with the route of getting a rough stone cut and it's my first time looking at a rough stone.
It looked more amazing than the pictures i'm posting in person. Goes from a medium teal blue that may change a bit with it being more blue under fluorescent lights and a more greenish tint outdoors.

While this might not be the color i've seen, it will become a amazing stone no the less. One of a kind that no one else will have.

P.S. I got the stone through emailing blaze. Sent to Michael E for cutting. Both are great to work with.

While these aren't all the pictures i took, you'll get kinda the idea. I sent blaze a email stating what color's i wanted and let him judge what would suit my needs. Same with Michael E. We aren't experts like them, so it involves a lot of trust. Mines getting cut sometime next week or the following. It's almost a 11ct rough stone, you should expect at least 20% in weight after cutting "Mines getting turned into a round cut". I should get at least that, but i'm looking forward to see what magic Michael can work.

This is my center stone for my future fiancé ring.

img_2172_0.jpg
img_2171.jpg
img_2169.jpg
img_2168.jpg
img_2164_1.jpg
img_2117.jpg
img_2116.jpg
img_2115.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1444414653|3936697 said:
You need to get a move on and may not have time for spreadsheets.

1. Some gemstones move fast, especially stones recommended on Pricescope. What you see now, may not be available tomorrow, especially if vetted by the experienced posters. These are usually well coloured, well cut and well priced.

2. Nothing beats seeing the stones in person. Some look exactly as pictured and some don't, so all the hemming and hawing doesn't do much in the end. Some will shift under different lighting and you might be caught by surprise.

3. She said "too many years ago" and I think you should take time into consideration as well. ;))

I'm inclined to agree. If she likes te color , shape, size and (you like ) the price of a stone, I see no reason to not at least see it in peraon.

Spreadsheets won't get you any closer to the right stone than seeing it in person.

Plus, sounds to me like she's not interested in this process taking forever

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Speaking as a woman who would also answer "too many years ago" to the time frame question, and who is currently waiting for my engagement ring to be created/proposal, I wanted to offer some friendly advice. Feel totally free to ignore it, take it, consider it, and so on -- I just thought I'd chime in since I feel me and your intended are in similar circumstances.

It looks like her and I both have particular tastes. Personally, I picked out my own e-ring stone. I did this because I'm picky, plus my poor boyfriend/future fiancee has no knowledge about colored stones/jewelry and has no desire to learn, and for a reason that Chrono mentioned -- some gemstones move fast. Not all do -- sometimes beautiful gemstones will linger around for no reason other than the right person hasn't found it yet. But once people on PS begin posting pictures and links to vetted stone options, lurkers have been known to snatch them up before you can. Anyway, be aware that all of this takes time -- and it seems like she is ready for it to happen. We are coming up on the holidays, and that could add on time to getting a setting made depending on when you get the stone to the jeweler you're comfortable working with.

She has given you options that she has "approved" of, so my advice to you would be to pick out a couple from that list that you like the best and order them so you can see them in person. It is really, really hard to judge a stone by pictures alone, especially if you've had little to no experience doing so. You won't truly know if the stone is "the one" unless you see it yourself. Again, this whole process takes time too. Therefore, I wouldn't bother with the spreadsheet, even though I totally understand why you would want to make one!! It's just that you could spend all the time in the world making that spreadsheet, then you order the stone you've decided is the best, and when you get it there's a good chance you could be disappointed with it... and then you've wasted a bunch of time and have to start over. My further advice would be to fully involve her in it to make sure she is in love with the stone too, unless of course that is something she doesn't want to do.

FWIW, I love the square from ET. It is absolutely beautiful and a great size. I considered some of the blue-greeny sapphires he has when I was recently picking out my stone, and that square was near the top of my list. I also agree that the cushions she gave you from Gemfix look really nice too. Anyway, like I said, feel free to ignore me if you're not picking up what I'm putting down -- and keep us updated! :))

Mailin

Rough_Rock
part gypsy|1444409971|3936662 said:
A couple comments. I also like that blue/green combination, and sapphires do come in that color. Unfortunately as you have already experienced, many of them, while not technically color change may shift quite a bit in different lighting conditions; look good outside but look dull in incandescent light. One vendor that you have many stones shown, are known to photograph "bright" ie the stones look darker in person. A halo will darken it even more.
It may take you a long long time to get the stone you want, doing it the way you are doing. Any way of checking a gem show, where you can look at a whole bunch of stones at once and pick one out? And since it seems your girlfriend has particular tastes, maybe have her help pick it out? I would think that would make it very special.
Or go to a jeweler that specializes in gemstones, and have them source some stones for you.

Ps while I think it is special that you want to design the ring for her, a halo with lots of pave is not a beginner's project. It also seems to be ignoring one of her other requirements; time: "years and years ago!"

I think either proposing with something you picked out, or picking out a stone together, is special enough.
--- She is located in VT for an engineering internship, and I am in PA currently still running my business. I am in the process of moving to VT for the winter months, for some snowboarding fun!, but I still have to finish up my work here in PA. So her checking them out isn't really an option unless she drives back for a weekend to visit. I also have 3 local jewelers sourcing gems out for me but nobody seems to be getting the correct colors.

Niel|1444410041|3936664 said:
Just socim clear. That radiant is on your list? It seems to meet all your fairly strict requirements so I hope so.
--- Yes besides for it being already set, it looks to be pretty nice.

Niel|1444414309|3936692 said:
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-02-carat-blue-green-montana-sapphire/ This is nice and they say it's mint green, though I feel like if has a lot of blue
--- That is very nice besides for the inlcusion/damage that are shown.

1. Some gemstones move fast, especially stones recommended on Pricescope. What you see now, may not be available tomorrow, especially if vetted by the experienced posters. These are usually well coloured, well cut and well priced.

2. Nothing beats seeing the stones in person. Some look exactly as pictured and some don't, so all the hemming and hawing doesn't do much in the end. Some will shift under different lighting and you might be caught by surprise.

3. She said "too many years ago" and I think you should take time into consideration as well. ;))
--- I ended up purchasing one, I do not think it was a "great" deal by any means... but... Hopefully it will look nice in person. Have a feeling it might be too dark and I'll have to send it back due to that. It does say in the description that it does not gray out though, which is nice.

Jajabis|1444538379|3937159 said:
I've decided to go with the route of getting a rough stone cut and it's my first time looking at a rough stone.
It looked more amazing than the pictures i'm posting in person. Goes from a medium teal blue that may change a bit with it being more blue under fluorescent lights and a more greenish tint outdoors.

While this might not be the color i've seen, it will become a amazing stone no the less. One of a kind that no one else will have.

P.S. I got the stone through emailing blaze. Sent to Michael E for cutting. Both are great to work with.

While these aren't all the pictures i took, you'll get kinda the idea. I sent blaze a email stating what color's i wanted and let him judge what would suit my needs. Same with Michael E. We aren't experts like them, so it involves a lot of trust. Mines getting cut sometime next week or the following. It's almost a 11ct rough stone, you should expect at least 20% in weight after cutting "Mines getting turned into a round cut". I should get at least that, but i'm looking forward to see what magic Michael can work.This is my center stone for my future fiancé ring.
--- I think I stated above that, I am not ready to take this step. There are way too many variable that can go against me and I will be stuck with a stone that doesn't meet my requirements. Just too much risk, and I am not a gambler.

arabella|1444674662|3937498 said:
Speaking as a woman who would also answer "too many years ago" to the time frame question, and who is currently waiting for my engagement ring to be created/proposal, I wanted to offer some friendly advice. Feel totally free to ignore it, take it, consider it, and so on -- I just thought I'd chime in since I feel me and your intended are in similar circumstances. ...
--- I am not a person to give into peer pressure, not even from my lady :D I would rather make her wait and be sure I am 100% happy with the product I am going to present her. I like to do spreadsheets, to make pros and cons list to be able to compare gems without a biased opinion. That way I know I am getting what I want, and aiding in not clouding my judgment by my personal infatuation with a particular gem. If that makes an logical sense... I make spreadsheets over everything lol. Shoes, gym gear, work related items, etc etc.

SO I HAVE MADE A PURCHASE - THIS SEEMED TO MEET ALL THE "NEW" REQUIREMENTS
Next step is to find a person to make a setting. Was told by a friend to go to Victor C.
untitled_36.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure about your setting budget but expect a Victor Canera setting to start in the $5K range for a halo setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin|1444676889|3937531 said:
part gypsy|1444409971|3936662 said:
A couple comments. I also like that blue/green combination, and sapphires do come in that color. Unfortunately as you have already experienced, many of them, while not technically color change may shift quite a bit in different lighting conditions; look good outside but look dull in incandescent light. One vendor that you have many stones shown, are known to photograph "bright" ie the stones look darker in person. A halo will darken it even more.
It may take you a long long time to get the stone you want, doing it the way you are doing. Any way of checking a gem show, where you can look at a whole bunch of stones at once and pick one out? And since it seems your girlfriend has particular tastes, maybe have her help pick it out? I would think that would make it very special.
Or go to a jeweler that specializes in gemstones, and have them source some stones for you.

Ps while I think it is special that you want to design the ring for her, a halo with lots of pave is not a beginner's project. It also seems to be ignoring one of her other requirements; time: "years and years ago!"

I think either proposing with something you picked out, or picking out a stone together, is special enough.
--- She is located in VT for an engineering internship, and I am in PA currently still running my business. I am in the process of moving to VT for the winter months, for some snowboarding fun!, but I still have to finish up my work here in PA. So her checking them out isn't really an option unless she drives back for a weekend to visit. I also have 3 local jewelers sourcing gems out for me but nobody seems to be getting the correct colors.

Niel|1444410041|3936664 said:
Just socim clear. That radiant is on your list? It seems to meet all your fairly strict requirements so I hope so.
--- Yes besides for it being already set, it looks to be pretty nice.

Niel|1444414309|3936692 said:
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-02-carat-blue-green-montana-sapphire/ This is nice and they say it's mint green, though I feel like if has a lot of blue
--- That is very nice besides for the inlcusion/damage that are shown.

--- I ended up purchasing one, I do not think it was a "great" deal by any means... but... Hopefully it will look nice in person. Have a feeling it might be too dark and I'll have to send it back due to that. It does say in the description that it does not gray out though, which is nice.

Jajabis|1444538379|3937159 said:

While these aren't all the pictures i took, you'll get kinda the idea. I sent blaze a email stating what color's i wanted and let him judge what would suit my needs. Same with Michael E. We aren't experts like them, so it involves a lot of trust. Mines getting cut sometime next week or the following. It's almost a 11ct rough stone, you should expect at least 20% in weight after cutting "Mines getting turned into a round cut". I should get at least that, but i'm looking forward to see what magic Michael can work.This is my center stone for my future fiancé ring.
--- I think I stated above that, I am not ready to take this step. There are way too many variable that can go against me and I will be stuck with a stone that doesn't meet my requirements. Just too much risk, and I am not a gambler.

arabella|1444674662|3937498 said:
Speaking as a woman who would also answer "too many years ago" to the time frame question, and who is currently waiting for my engagement ring to be created/proposal, I wanted to offer some friendly advice. Feel totally free to ignore it, take it, consider it, and so on -- I just thought I'd chime in since I feel me and your intended are in similar circumstances. ...
--- I am not a person to give into peer pressure, not even from my lady :D I would rather make her wait and be sure I am 100% happy with the product I am going to present her. I like to do spreadsheets, to make pros and cons list to be able to compare gems without a biased opinion. That way I know I am getting what I want, and aiding in not clouding my judgment by my personal infatuation with a particular gem. If that makes an logical sense... I make spreadsheets over everything lol. Shoes, gym gear, work related items, etc etc.

SO I HAVE MADE A PURCHASE - THIS SEEMED TO MEET ALL THE "NEW" REQUIREMENTS
Next step is to find a person to make a setting. Was told by a friend to go to Victor C.
untitled_36.jpg

Is this for you or her?

Either way, hope this stone works for you.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1444677163|3937533 said:
Not sure about your setting budget but expect a Victor Canera setting to start in the $5K range for a halo setting.
--- Yeah, I believe that is around what he spent, but he had a halo and tons of extra work done. I am not sure on the setting budget as of now, but I am aware of VC prices. She wants me to go to a local place that makes settings, local to here called "bixlers" and they priced me at 2,100~ in white gold. I have since then changed my mind to platinum though, so I expect for the price to go up some.

My grandfather owns a very large pawn shop chain in Florida, and was going to have his jeweler make me a setting, but I have not seen any of his work. I could even have supply me with the raw platinum, and diamonds for the setting itself. Got many more decisions to make though.

Niel|1444677340|3937537 said:
Is this for you or her? Either way, hope this stone works for you.
--- This is for me, to give to her as an engagement ring once completed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin|1444678744|3937553 said:
Chrono|1444677163|3937533 said:
--- Yeah, I believe that is around what he spent, but he had a halo and tons of extra work done. I am not sure on the setting budget as of now, but I am aware of VC prices. She wants me to go to a local place that makes settings, local to here called "bixlers" and they priced me at 2,100~ in white gold. I have since then changed my mind to platinum though, so I expect for the price to go up some.

My grandfather owns a very large pawn shop chain in Florida, and was going to have his jeweler make me a setting, but I have not seen any of his work. I could even have supply me with the raw platinum, and diamonds for the setting itself. Got many more decisions to make though.

Niel|1444677340|3937537 said:
Is this for you or her? Either way, hope this stone works for you.
--- This is for me, to give to her as an engagement ring once completed.

Ok then.

Either way, vc won't be interested in accepting your cads as a design, and prefers to have his own artistic expression in a ring, rather than making your exact vision.

David klass is a nice one if you have a specific vision youcwant executed

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Once you get the stone, make sure you view it in every lighting condition possible. I've never bought from that vendor, so I can't personally speak to accuracy of their photos, but it seems like it could be quite dark based on the Pantone colors given. I know she said she wanted "deeper" colors, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, a halo will darken a stone. Something to keep in mind. Don't hesitate to return it if it isn't exactly what she wants!! Gemfix has a 7 day return policy from the time you receive the stone. Let us know how it looks once you get it!

ETA: I agree with Niel. If you want full control over design, I think it may be better to go with a respected local jeweler who does custom work to meet with regularly during the design process as opposed to VC. DK is of course also an option.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Niel|1444679764|3937560 said:
Ok then. Either way, vc won't be interested in accepting your cads as a design, and prefers to have his own artistic expression in a ring, rather than making your exact vision.

arabella|1444680303|3937562 said:
Once you get the stone, make sure you view it in every lighting condition possible. I've never bought from that vendor, so I can't personally speak to accuracy of their photos, but it seems like it could be quite dark based on the Pantone colors given. I know she said she wanted "deeper" colors, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, a halo will darken a stone. Something to keep in mind. Don't hesitate to return it if it isn't exactly what she wants!! Gemfix has a 7 day return policy from the time you receive the stone. Let us know how it looks once you get it!

ETA: I agree with Niel. If you want full control over design, I think it may be better to go with a respected local jeweler who does custom work to meet with regularly during the design process as opposed to VC. DK is of course also an option.
--- Who would you guys suggest, say... top 10 vendors who create rings? (if there is even that many) I guess I am open to someone designing a ring, but thought it would be cooler for me to do it since, it is within my skill set to do so. I think the setting, I would like to keep it at 1-8000$ budget, of course cheaper the better if the desired ring is of satisfactory quality.

Gemfix is closed until Oct 18th for unknown reasons, so... I would assume gem arrival date should be between 19-23rd~. Kinda excited! :dance:

Things I want in the ring would be platinum (originally wanted white gold but dislike the need of recoating), halo in diamonds, and diamonds down the band, and I am still deciding on the basket design, split or single shank, and or diamonds up the basket/shank area. (not sure of all the proper vernacular)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin|1444713659|3937719 said:
Niel|1444679764|3937560 said:
Ok then. Either way, vc won't be interested in accepting your cads as a design, and prefers to have his own artistic expression in a ring, rather than making your exact vision.

arabella|1444680303|3937562 said:

--- Who would you guys suggest, say... top 10 vendors who create rings? (if there is even that many) I guess I am open to someone designing a ring, but thought it would be cooler for me to do it since, it is within my skill set to do so. I think the setting, I would like to keep it at 1-8000$ budget, of course cheaper the better if the desired ring is of satisfactory quality.

Gemfix is closed until Oct 18th for unknown reasons, so... I would assume gem arrival date should be between 19-23rd~. Kinda excited! :dance:

Things I want in the ring would be platinum (originally wanted white gold but dislike the need of recoating), halo in diamonds, and diamonds down the band, and I am still deciding on the basket design, split or single shank, and or diamonds up the basket/shank area. (not sure of all the proper vernacu)

I hate to beat a dead horse, but if you're open to someone else designing it, want a Montana sapphire in a HW style halo from a top bench, why is that preloved one from brilliantly engaged not on the table? If I was to suggest a bench to make that style halo, I'd absolutely include them, and its already all done for you.

It's been for sale for a bit, you could certainly ask for say, a 3 day inspection period if you're consern js its non-refundability

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might want to look at this thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/[/URL]
where you can see that some vendors photograph pretty close to what it looks like in real life (barry bridgestock, Jeff White) while others (Gemfix, Dan stair) the gem looks darker in real life than it does in the pictures. In general, it seems like you are picking stones that are darker and less green than the reference pictures you put up.

Here is a round in the color you are looking for though it may not be green enough for you
http://www.whitesgems.com/availablegems.html

Here is a ring already made at etsy. Can be custom made in platinum (never ordered, just looked like style you are going for)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/241350936/green-blue-sapphire-engagement-ring-mint?ref=shop_home_active_12&ga_search_query=sapphire

I also second and third, consider what you need to do to make this special, and whether you are trying to make it special for you, or for her. I know you may not think you are dragging your feet, but others may interpret it this way, because every single step, you are doing in the more time consuming, and possibly more expensive way.

I have seen more than once ladies in waiting, the man taking so long to propose, it has impaired the relationship.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1444758766|3937862 said:
You might want to look at this thread
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/[/URL]
where you can see that some vendors photograph pretty close to what it looks like in real life (barry bridgestock, Jeff White) while others (Gemfix, Dan stair) the gem looks darker in real life than it does in the pictures. In general, it seems like you are picking stones that are darker and less green than the reference pictures you put up.

Here is a round in the color you are looking for though it may not be green enough for you
http://www.whitesgems.com/availablegems.html

Here is a ring already made at etsy. Can be custom made in platinum (never ordered, just looked like style you are going for)
https://www.etsy.com/listing/241350936/green-blue-sapphire-engagement-ring-mint?ref=shop_home_active_12&ga_search_query=sapphire

I also second and third, consider what you need to do to make this special, and whether you are trying to make it special for you, or for her. I know you may not think you are dragging your feet, but others may interpret it this way, because every single step, you are doing in the more time consuming, and possibly more expensive way.

I have seen more than once ladies in waiting, the man taking so long to propose, it has impaired the relationship.

That Jeff white one is lovely and a very fair price

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Advice Needed: Colored Sapphire Search & Supplier

I agree that the already made ring is not only quite possibly your least expensive option, but it also checks off all of her requirements, reinforced by the fact that she shared a picture of it with you. I totally understand and get the feeling that you need to make it "meaningful", but showing her you chose something that caters to all of her requests is meaningful itself. Just IMHO.

I agree with part gypsy that the gem fix stone doesn't seem to have as much green in it as the stones she shared with you. Thanks for confirming that gem fix pictures are generally brighter than the stone itself part gypsy -- I thought that was the case but wasn't sure. I also second that the stone from Jeff White is also a very pretty option!! And a fantastic price as well.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think that if you want a blue green stone in a halo, that preloved ring checks your requirements. I think it is a very attractive, non-stock setting. Good luck in your search. Hopefully it won't take another year!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you got the stone yet? If so take a photo of it inside and one outside - sapphire are colour shifters depending upon the light... I will be interested to see what you think of the colour of it in real life. If you are sending it directly to a vendor and not getting it in person it would be a good idea to get the vendor to take some realistic looking photos of it before it set, just in case you don't like the colour of it.
Victor would take the stone but he doesn't generally take clients that micro-manage him, if you do want to go with him or someone like him better to pick one of his settings and have him make that for you or tell him what you want and let him design something.

David Klass might be a better fit for you he takes clients sketches, and will modify CAD images as you go along, if you want to design something yourself.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey that second hand halo setting with the radiant she liked is now at a consignment shop. That means it has a return period now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1445702197|3941627 said:
Hey that second hand halo setting with the radiant she liked is now at a consignment shop. That means it has a return period now.

It is?? That definitely makes a huge positive difference IMHO to be able to see a ring in hand before committing 100%. Hope the OP takes advantage!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1445707974|3941660 said:
Niel|1445702197|3941627 said:

It is?? That definitely makes a huge positive difference IMHO to be able to see a ring in hand before committing 100%. Hope the OP takes advantage!
I spotted this on her facie'b

fb_img_1445708364749.jpg

Mailin

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1444836400|3938178 said:
Have you got the stone yet? If so take a photo of it inside and one outside - sapphire are colour shifters depending upon the light... I will be interested to see what you think of the colour of it in real life. If you are sending it directly to a vendor and not getting it in person it would be a good idea to get the vendor to take some realistic looking photos of it before it set, just in case you don't like the colour of it.
Victor would take the stone but he doesn't generally take clients that micro-manage him, if you do want to go with him or someone like him better to pick one of his settings and have him make that for you or tell him what you want and let him design something.

David Klass might be a better fit for you he takes clients sketches, and will modify CAD images as you go along, if you want to design something yourself.

--- Snapped some 45~ pictures today, these are the ones I narrowed it down to for showing others. I am not a photographer by trade, so bear with my skill level.

Here is a link to a gallery with the full sized, non resized images: http://postimg.org/gallery/3jim15mes/

img_1634.jpg
img_1646.jpg
img_1668.jpg
img_1679.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mailin|1445754933|3941850 said:

--- Snapped some 45~ pictures today, these are the ones I narrowed it down to for showing others. I am not a photographer by trade, so bear with my skill level.

Here is a link to a gallery with the full sized, non resized images: http://postimg.org/gallery/3jim15mes/

img_1634.jpg
img_1646.jpg
img_1668.jpg
img_1679.jpg

Are these colors accurate to what you see irl ? Is it dark? Do you like it?

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Niel|1445773941|3941890 said:
Mailin|1445754933|3941850 said:

Are these colors accurate to what you see irl ? Is it dark? Do you like it?
--- The way the camera captured the gem, it is pretty darn close. Upon receiving it, I checked it out in the setting sun 6pm~. I disliked the gem instantly, in the setting sun (direct light) it was a dark blue that was being swallowed by gray. Back to the sun, and gem in the shadow... It was a nice blue.

Pictures were taken at 1pm, and it changed the color to what you see now with no graying. I do like it, inside under various light conditions, outside during early morning and afternoon, I do not like it during the setting sun. The hand pictured is going to be the receiver of the gem, and she likes it also. I have until Wednesday to return it, so I will ask her a few more times to be sure.

So as of now, she seems happy with it and it just might mean that I head to the next step of the process.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
I am by no means an expert at colored stones but I have to ask after seeing the loose option you purchased. Has your fiancé' seen the ring that was on LoupeTroop and now in consignment?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I urge you to decide whether you like it enough when its looking its best to offset all the times it looks its worst. Based on your photos, and the fact that you said they are accurate, at its best in indirect bright light (when just about all gems look their best) it appears pretty and saturated but borderline dark. That is worrisome, as I imagine the majority of the time, in the absence of ideal lighting, it will appear less saturated and just plain dark with occasional flashes of color. Not something I would want. :(sad

arabella

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1445802918|3942020 said:
I urge you to decide whether you like it enough when its looking its best to offset all the times it looks its worst. Based on your photos, and the fact that you said they are accurate, at its best in indirect bright light (when just about all gems look their best) it appears pretty and saturated but borderline dark. That is worrisome, as I imagine the majority of the time, in the absence of ideal lighting, it will appear less saturated and just plain dark with occasional flashes of color. Not something I would want. :(sad

I agree. Have her hang out with it a few days until you have to make a decision about returning/keeping and see how she feels about it. I'm concerned about the use of the word "like"... this should be a stone she LOVES. In my experience, a stone does not usually "grow" on you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I'd be tempted now the other ring has a return period to get it as well, let her compare the two and then see which one she likes because the stone in the ring is not as dark as this stone. It would be too dark for my personal taste but if she loves it then that is all that counts. The reason I suggest getting the ring as well is so that someone who probably has not seen a heap of sapphires this colour can then get a better idea of comparing the colour, at this point in time I am not entirely sure she has any point of reference for comparison.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1445830435|3942149 said:
If it were me I'd be tempted now the other ring has a return period to get it as well, let her compare the two and then see which one she likes because the stone in the ring is not as dark as this stone. It would be too dark for my personal taste but if she loves it then that is all that counts. The reason I suggest getting the ring as well is so that someone who probably has not seen a heap of sapphires this colour can then get a better idea of comparing the colour, at this point in time I am not entirely sure she has any point of reference for comparison.

Good idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results