shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Needed: Colored Sapphire Search & Supplier

Mailin

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking on this site for many months, and seeking advice from a friend who frequents pricescope. I have been on the hunt for an oval sapphire gem, and can't seem to find exactly what I want. The more knowledge I gain from reading and research... The more it seems that gems are subpar.

I have been purchasing loose gems from various online vendors, and to no avail... nothing is what I am looking for. The only one I have found (yet to see in person) is a loose sapphire from a chain store sapphirecompany, and I have my doubts in the actual quality of the gem.

I have a novice eye, and maybe some veteran can chime in and give me their opinion or point me into the direction I should continue down. I am beginning to feel defeated, and now considering purchasing a rough stone, but I am also weary about that. Once a gem is found, I will then need to source a person to create the setting, so that will be another huge thing needing to be figured out.

I do have this gem on hold, awaiting me to go up and check it out in person. I am getting it for just around 3,000$, if I proceed.
(please check it out thoroughly and give me your advice)
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-54870-oval-unique-sapphire-u5260/

(REFERENCE PHOTOS BELOW FOR COLOR)
_34779.jpg
img_0672.jpg
img_0671.jpg
img_0667.jpg
fullsizerender_1_35.jpg
fullsizerender_1__2_.jpg
fullsizerender__2__6.jpg
img_0662.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, and it absolutely positively has to be an oval?

What sucks is iveseen this color in other shapes.
I do love the sapphire you have on hold, it has quite a window and I fear it would grey out in real life.

S

SparkliesLuver

While the color of the one you have on hold is what you're looking for, I fear the sizable window will detract from the stone.

Have you started a (new) thread asking for help with your search? Just curious.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this one made it to your inspiration folder, why did you toss it out as a contender? It is less expensive and better cut than the NSC sapphire.

sapphire_montana_469_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1444218675|3935729 said:
While the color of the one you have on hold is what you're looking for, I fear the sizable window will detract from the stone.

Have you started a (new) thread asking for help with your search? Just curious

Is this thread not that? :confused:

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Niel|1444217273|3935727 said:
Hmm, and it absolutely positively has to be an oval?
What sucks is iveseen this color in other shapes.
I do love the sapphire you have on hold, it has quite a window and I fear it would grey out in real life.
--- I only have 2 options really, a champagne cushion cut sapphire, or a green oval cut sapphire (set in halo). I do not fancy the 1st option, so oval it is. Would it be feasible to purchase the sapphirecompany gem and get it recut? Or would I lose too much weight and size, and I am essentially throwing money away then on the initial purchase.

What causes graying in real life? The last few I purchased, all grayed out in person. They only came alive either under a LED light or in direct natural sunlight.

Have you started a (new) thread asking for help with your search? Just curious.
--- Yes the window/current cut is what I was concerned with. This thread is me asking for help to either find another one (maybe one not listed and in a private collection).

Chrono|1444218835|3935731 said:
Since this one made it to your inspiration folder, why did you toss it out as a contender? It is less expensive and better cut than the NSC sapphire.
--- The one on sapphirecompany was "more the color" than the other. So I wanted to eliminate it as an option before going onto the next gem. Since people are concerned about the cut though, it will eliminate it as an option.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recut of NSC sapphire
Looking at the profile, I'm guessing you'll likely drop under the 2 ct mark, which would not only drop the $/ct., you have to tack on the cutting fee.

Graying
Most stones do not hold their colour well. Sunlight is the kindest to almost all gemstone and only a few will look as good under indoor / fluorescent lights.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1444233692|3935831 said:
Recut of NSC sapphire
Looking at the profile, I'm guessing you'll likely drop under the 2 ct mark, which would not only drop the $/ct., you have to tack on the cutting fee.

Graying
Most stones do not hold their colour well. Sunlight is the kindest to almost all gemstone and only a few will look as good under indoor / fluorescent lights.
--- Yeah, I was reading where the price per carat raises at set thresholds. Would the gem likely lose it's current color if a recut were to happen? What is a generalized cutting fee by somebody reputable?

Niel|1444234620|3935850 said:
--- I checked all the sources given on pricescopes main page, amongst about 1-10 pages deep in google. I just did look at it now though, at your suggestion. Nothing seems to be of the correct color/size though :(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, recutting will increase brilliancy. Sometimes the colour is negatively affected, sometimes it isn't. The more you tweak the stone, the more likely that the colour will be affected negatively. The cutting fee will vary, depending on the hourly charge of the lapidary and how many facets are tweaked.

All right, let's list down your must haves. It is likely that you are overly stringent in your requirements, which is why there is seemingly nothing suitable out there.
1. Ct weight and mm size
2. Colour
3. Shape(s) you are open to.
4. Budget
5. Treatment
6. Time frame!

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:
Have you started a (new) thread asking for help with your search? Just curious

Is this thread not that? :confused:

Sorry, I thought the OP was only asking for feedback on the NSC stone - not asking for other possibilities. My misunderstanding and apologies.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1444237227|3935875 said:
In general, recutting will increase brilliancy. Sometimes the colour is negatively affected, sometimes it isn't. The more you tweak the stone, the more likely that the colour will be affected negatively. The cutting fee will vary, depending on the hourly charge of the lapidary and how many facets are tweaked.

All right, let's list down your must haves. It is likely that you are overly stringent in your requirements, which is why there is seemingly nothing suitable out there.
1. Ct weight and mm size
2. Colour
3. Shape(s) you are open to.
4. Budget
5. Treatment
6. Time frame!
--- Okay, so... After speaking to the lady of my life... She has now revealed more "options" that she has began to like in the last year of my gem search (wish she would have said something).

So I messaged her, and sent her the above template. These was her reply. I will attach images after this post for "reference" images so the color is a bit easier seen.

1. CT Weight & MM size
-Oval: 1.5-2CT+~ | 7.5x5.0~ / 8.5x5.5~
-Cushion: 1.5-2CT+~ | 7.5x6.5~ / 8.0x7.0~
-Radiant: 1.5-2CT+~ | 7.5x7.0~ / 8.0x7.5~
-Round: 1.5-2CT+~ | 8.0x0.0~ / 8.5x0.0~
2. Color
-Oval: Lighter "Teal" - Dark "Greener Teal"
-Cushion: Darker "Greener Teal"
-Radiant: Darker "Greener Teal"
-Round: Darker "Bluer Teal"
3. Shapes
-Oval
-Cushion
-Radiant
-Round
4. Budget
- 5,000 MAX (IDEALLY 1$-3000$)
5. Treatment
- Unheated (Heated If Color Is Perfect)
6. Time Frame
- She wrote, "TOO MANY YEARS AGO!" - I will not rush this process, so "no" specific time frame.

"~" = ESTIMATED (willing to vary in actual size)

Mailin

Rough_Rock
REFERENCE IMAGES FOR ABOVE POST

-Oval
o1.jpg
o2.jpg
o3.jpg
o4.jpg
o5.jpg
o6.jpg

-Cushion
c1.jpg
c2.png
c3.png
c4.png
c5.png

-Radiant
ra1.jpg
ra2.png

-Round
ro1.png
ro2.png
ro3.png
ro4.png
ro5.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since she has included cushions, I would consider the Gemfix cushions of various blue greens. Those are nicer than their ovals. If you need a completed option (stone and setting), the LT Montana sapphire ring looks like a great option. Do inquire as to whether you can view it in person and return it if it's not what you expected, because LT sales are typically final.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1444306044|3936216 said:
I didn't realize this ring was a contender! I'd buy this in a heartbeat. :love: Ask whatever you need to feel good about it. Maybe she'd even consider a short return period since it's a large purchase. Worth a shot.

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-colored-stone-center/custom-2-dot-67-carat-montana-sapphire-halo-ring
--- I would but I really want to pick out the center stone myself, and then design the ring and have it made. I know a bit of CAD so I can make all the plans up myself if need be. It is going to be an engagement ring, so I want it to be "meaningful."

Sidenote: I thought that ring was a radiant cut, not cushion. Whoops.

Chrono|1444306747|3936229 said:
Since she has included cushions, I would consider the Gemfix cushions of various blue greens. Those are nicer than their ovals. If you need a completed option (stone and setting), the LT Montana sapphire ring looks like a great option. Do inquire as to whether you can view it in person and return it if it's not what you expected, because LT sales are typically final.
--- Yeah, I have so many more options now that she has opened up her cut choices. I am really leaning towards cushion or round at this moment.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option might be make the poster with the ring an offer and sell the setting separately or make her an offer for the stone only, no setting.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1444374775|3936544 said:
Another option might be make the poster with the ring an offer and sell the setting separately or make her an offer for the stone only, no setting.
--- I was thinking of making an offer on the stone only, but I thought that could be seen as severely disrespectful. Are settings easy to sell? What would be a rough estimate on that settings resale value? (so I can see how much I would essentially be paying for the gem)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually a pretty setting nice quality stones too, so I don't know anything will sell if it's cheap enough. I think it would have cost a bit originally.... I am a preloved settings hoarder myself, I buy them and then have to find things to put into them.... :lol:

The other thing you could do if you want a halo or something with diamonds is repurpose, use the stones and redesign the setting or keep it and get a zircon or something budget friendly like a topaz cut for it and she can have it as a right hand ring at a later date. Or set something else into it and then sell it.

The setting is so close to what she wants I would also be tempted if the price is right to keep the whole thing as it, I looks like its in very good near new condition.

S

SparkliesLuver

Mailin said:
I would but I really want to pick out the center stone myself, and then design the ring and have it made. I know a bit of CAD so I can make all the plans up myself if need be. It is going to be an engagement ring, so I want it to be "meaningful."

If you're truly going for meaningful and special, I thought I'd throw this out there: have a stone faceted from rough. Here's one from Blaze that looks to be shaped for an oval, great color, and the dimensions are good. He's also got it at VVS. I'd talk with someone like Jerry Newman (a cutter) to find out what dimensions you should be looking for (for an oval in the size range you want - ETA: just went back and checked your dimensions 7.5x5.0 / 8.5x5.5, and I definitely think this would work), and go from there. Blaze is always more than helpful.

http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_36&products_id=1504

sam_8419.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who just wants to purchase an e-ring and wants to keep things as easy as possible, I recommend against buying a ring with the intent to resell the setting (will take a while to resell, unlikely to recoup cost, and you give up some privacy in the form of your real name and address to an unknown consumer), and I also recommend against buying a piece of rough to facet (unless there a full return/refund policy) because who knows what it'll end up like (different colour than expected, smaller size, etc). It is different for the Pricescope regulars as they have more experience and patience.

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
Wow...there is nothing wrong with that stone

Mailin

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1444379252|3936552 said:
It's actually a pretty setting nice quality stones too, so I don't know anything will sell if it's cheap enough. I think it would have cost a bit originally.... I am a preloved settings hoarder myself, I buy them and then have to find things to put into them.... :lol:

The other thing you could do if you want a halo or something with diamonds is repurpose, use the stones and redesign the setting or keep it and get a zircon or something budget friendly like a topaz cut for it and she can have it as a right hand ring at a later date. Or set something else into it and then sell it.

The setting is so close to what she wants I would also be tempted if the price is right to keep the whole thing as it, I looks like its in very good near new condition.
--- Settings was never discussed between her and I, besides for a halo requirement, and either white gold or platinum. I was leaning towards platinum due to never having to worry about getting it recoated for luster vs the white gold option.

SparkliesLuver|1444397407|3936583 said:
Mailin said:
I would but I really want to pick out the center stone myself, and then design the ring and have it made. I know a bit of CAD so I can make all the plans up myself if need be. It is going to be an engagement ring, so I want it to be "meaningful."

If you're truly going for meaningful and special, I thought I'd throw this out there: have a stone faceted from rough. Here's one from Blaze that looks to be shaped for an oval, great color, and the dimensions are good. He's also got it at VVS. I'd talk with someone like Jerry Newman (a cutter) to find out what dimensions you should be looking for (for an oval in the size range you want - ETA: just went back and checked your dimensions 7.5x5.0 / 8.5x5.5, and I definitely think this would work), and go from there. Blaze is always more than helpful.

http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83_36&products_id=1504
--- Picking a gem in the rough is well beyond my scope of knowledge. Since my color requirements are so stringent, I would be weary to do that over picking a gem I know I will like (once found).

Chrono|1444398606|3936586 said:
As someone who just wants to purchase an e-ring and wants to keep things as easy as possible, I recommend against buying a ring with the intent to resell the setting (will take a while to resell, unlikely to recoup cost, and you give up some privacy in the form of your real name and address to an unknown consumer), and I also recommend against buying a piece of rough to facet (unless there a full return/refund policy) because who knows what it'll end up like (different colour than expected, smaller size, etc). It is different for the Pricescope regulars as they have more experience and patience.
--- Yes, I fully understand. This gem picking out process is already overly difficult as it is, and I can only imagine how it will be once I am trying to find a person to craft/design the setting for me. I would definitely consider the parting out of an old ring, and rough stones as last resort at this moment in time.

Niel|1444403711|3936632 said:
--- That one is in the approved list above, originally was only being used as a color reference. Since my original post though, my girlfriend opened up her options from oval only, to oval, cushion, radiant, and round.

Once I get a chance to sit down and search all the price scope vendors, and other various vendors. I will then start narrowing down the contenders from there, and see which one is my ultimate pick. I am not one to make hasty decisions, and I will end up making a spreadsheet with a pros and cons list. Full nerding it out :lol:

I am looking at (starting to like more than the others) a gem on a site, and I would post it. Not sure if that is the proper thing to do though, without having it reserved for me first. Just in case there would be some rich mogul out there reading this and really wanting to ruin my day HAHA.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple comments. I also like that blue/green combination, and sapphires do come in that color. Unfortunately as you have already experienced, many of them, while not technically color change may shift quite a bit in different lighting conditions; look good outside but look dull in incandescent light. One vendor that you have many stones shown, are known to photograph "bright" ie the stones look darker in person. A halo will darken it even more.
It may take you a long long time to get the stone you want, doing it the way you are doing. Any way of checking a gem show, where you can look at a whole bunch of stones at once and pick one out? And since it seems your girlfriend has particular tastes, maybe have her help pick it out? I would think that would make it very special.
Or go to a jeweler that specializes in gemstones, and have them source some stones for you.

Ps while I think it is special that you want to design the ring for her, a halo with lots of pave is not a beginner's project. It also seems to be ignoring one of her other requirements; time: "years and years ago!"

I think either proposing with something you picked out, or picking out a stone together, is special enough.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just socim clear. That radiant is on your list? It seems to meet all your fairly strict requirements so I hope so.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to get a move on and may not have time for spreadsheets.

1. Some gemstones move fast, especially stones recommended on Pricescope. What you see now, may not be available tomorrow, especially if vetted by the experienced posters. These are usually well coloured, well cut and well priced.

2. Nothing beats seeing the stones in person. Some look exactly as pictured and some don't, so all the hemming and hawing doesn't do much in the end. Some will shift under different lighting and you might be caught by surprise.

3. She said "too many years ago" and I think you should take time into consideration as well. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results