shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed! 1.16 G VS1 or 1.32 G SI1

Aaronn

Rough_Rock
Hello long time lurker first time poster :) just wanted to start by saying that I'm so grateful to this community and even though it is my first time posting, my diamond purchasing journey has been going on for 4 months now and am now at the final stages of selection.

It has come down to these two G coloured WF ACA stones. the smaller 1.16 VS1 is something that I have purchased and is probably at the very top of my range with regards to a perfect stone for my budget and colour/cut criteria, the light performance under the sparkle video is just jaw-dropping.

More recently I came across a larger rock, 1.32 SI1, which from what I understand is eye-clean, most of it's inclusions are near the sides of the diamond, there is a white inclusion at the table. It is slightly less sparkly in the videos (IMO). And right now I'm actually strongly considering this instead, but my concerns would be, is the difference in light performance going to be substantial (the VS1 seems more sparkly)? And if the SI1 is indeed eye clean. Would love to get some opinion between these two from the community, thank you all!

WF ACA G VS1 1.162

WF ACA G SI1 1.323

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If it were my wallet being opened for one of these two, then I wouldn't hesitate to grab the SI1, being 0.3mm bigger in diameter which is 1.5x the minimum noticable size difference of 0.2mm...plus a majority of the inclusions are in the crown near the girdle, so they will be nearly impossible to detect once the diamond is affixed in a setting and doing its thing with light performance.

You may know that the inclusions are there especially when you put your eyes within mere inches of the diamond or break out the loupe on occasion, but every casual observer/admirer won't get nearly close enough to see them, nor ask you if they can get close enough to scrutinize it in such a manner, so they'll be none the wiser.

That being said, your happiness is of the utmost importance...will the SI1 please *you*?

I think it would be perfectly fine because those inclusions clearly don't inhibit the light performance in the slightest.

You have to be happy in your head, so bear in mind that there is a no-hassle return policy and an amazing upgrade program that WF offers.

Either way you go, your purchase is fairly protected.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I would go for the 1.32 however, some people really like the mind clean-ness of a VS stone for an engagement ring.
The 1.3 will look eye-clean and give you the extra size which will be noticeable.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will throw a vote for the VS1. Clarity is overkill for the stone size, but I prefer it on a personal level. Not that I believe the larger SI stone is “hazy” by any stretch but in the magnified videos it appears less crisp than the VS1. To the naked eye, those differences will likely dissipate.

What I also prefer is the smaller table, shorter LGF’s and higher crown height. I believe these proportion differences may be contributing to the differences in performance in the sparkle videos. At least more so, than the clarity grade.

Despite minor differences, both stones are quite amazing. I just prefer the VS1 stone as a whole, but am less driven by size than others.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I will throw a vote for the VS1. Clarity is overkill for the stone size, but I prefer it on a personal level. Not that I believe the larger SI stone is “hazy” by any stretch but in the magnified videos it appears less crisp than the VS1. To the naked eye, those differences will likely dissipate.

What I also prefer is the smaller table, shorter LGF’s and higher crown height. I believe these proportion differences may be contributing to the differences in performance in the sparkle videos. At least more so, than the clarity grade.

Despite minor differences, both stones are quite amazing. I just prefer the VS1 stone as a whole, but am less driven by size than others.

Fair points - the measurements would suggest that the smaller 1.162 leans more fiery, given the PA, table size, crown height, and LGF's.
Am I seeing the slightest bit of obstruction or table reflection near the culet of the 1.323? Perhaps, but nothing that I would worry about.

Here's are side by side screenshots of the enlarged still shots (1.162 first, then 1.323).
I agree with you that the 1.162 appears to have a touch more crispness at these magnification levels, especially in the arrow shafts.

Aaronn WF ACA 1162 G VS1.png Aaronn WF ACA 1323 G SI1.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I seeing the slightest bit of obstruction or table reflection near the culet of the 1.323? Perhaps, but nothing that I would worry about.

Assume you are referring to the black areas I circled in red and that continue around the stone? If so, that is called table reflection or clustering. Agree it's minimal and non-worrisome. However, IMO, the 55 table looks more appealing to my eyes.

Larger tables and/or steeper pavilions increase the effect. In the very bottom example, you will see there is a near identical example to the 1.323 (57 table, 34.5 crown & 40.75 pavilion).

InkedAaronn WF ACA 1323 G SI1_LI.jpg

table-reflection-with-is.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Assume you are referring to the black areas I circled in red and that continue around the stone? If so, that is called table reflection or clustering. Agree it's minimal and non-worrisome IMO.

Larger tables and/or steeper pavilions increase the effect. In the very bottom example, you will see there is a near identical example to the 1.323 (57 table, 34.5 crown & 40.75 pavilion).

InkedAaronn WF ACA 1323 G SI1_LI.jpg

table-reflection-with-is.jpg

That's what I figured it was - thanks for confirming.

Aaronn

Rough_Rock
Thank you so so much @DejaWiz @sledge @tyty333 for the help and wisdom! I’ve locked in the 1.32. Mins clean enough and decided to go with the more visible carat upgrade than slightly more fiery diamond. It’ll be set on a custom and I can’t wait to get them!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so so much @DejaWiz @sledge @tyty333 for the help and wisdom! I’ve locked in the 1.32. Mins clean enough and decided to go with the more visible carat upgrade than slightly more fiery diamond. It’ll be set on a custom and I can’t wait to get them!

Either of these would have been a great choice, so you're getting one heck of a diamond from one heck of a company!

Congratulations!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to hear you found the choice that was right for you and yours. It’s always a great day if the worst choice we have is deciding between 2 amazing ACA’s!

Please be sure to post some photos of the finished product. Also hope you will stay involved in the community.

Wishing you the best in this journey!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what the prices of those are, but this one would win out for me if you could swing it. I personally like VS2 or higher for diamonds, especially for an engagement ring.

The VS1 is $9,600 wire. I don’t recall the price of the larger SI1 but thought it was close to a wash on the money side. Hoping OP can confirm.

Nice find. Kind of the best of both worlds. Best part is slightly lighter in carat weight but still 7mm spread!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Aaronn for confirming price. FYI, the WF webpage didn't show the price since you bought. If you are logged into your WF account, it may still be visible on your side though.

Also, maybe this helps you? The 1.323 G-SI1 is on the left and the 1.313 G-VS2 is on the right. FYI, after you start the video, if you hover over it with your mouse a submenu pops up and in the lower right corner is an option to go Full Screen. Doing so will enlarge it for a better comparison. Alas, YouTube was still processing the HD version of the video, but it should be done soon enough.

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 2.42.08 AM.png

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Nice side by side vid, @sledge !

I can't tell a difference between them.
They're both amazing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @diamondseeker2006 thanks for picking that stone out! Does it seema little less "sparkly" to you vs the SI1? The @sledge SI1 wire price is $10,213 wire : )

SI1:https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4396545.htm

I can just about assure you that you wouldn't be able to see a difference in performance in these two stones. I actually don't even look at those videos when buying stones from WF for myself!!! Why? Because ALL ACAs are going to be top performers. Realize that your diamond will be in many kinds of lighting environments and will rarely be the same environment as in those videos. I see now that it's $1000 more than the other one so I understand if you don't choose it. I just prefer VS2 and higher personally. (My most recent pair of studs were H VS1/VS2.)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results