shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice - beautiful Pear diamond is loose.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I noticed yesterday that my beautiful pear cut solitaire has dropped down into its setting & the diamond is loose. This is the second time this has happened in 4 months. Last time I popped back to my jeweller who made it, as he's local, and they re-secured it in no time & said I must have bashed it fairly hard. I don't think I had as I'd have noticed & probably checked my ring immediately.

Yesterday it was Christmas Day. I dressed & popped my jewellery on just before leaving for mums. The diamond was secure as I remember rubbing my fingers over them as I often do. All I did after that was help to lay the table for dinner, open presents, eat & drink champagne. There was no hard bashes to my ring. Last night I rubbed my finger over & felt the diamond shift. Loose again.

When I had this setting made we debated 3 prongs versus 5. I wanted 5, he talked me into 3 to let the diamond shine. And it's beautiful, but now I'm wondering about long term security? Given that this is a D VS1 that was a significant purchase price to us, I don't want to loose it regardless that it's insured.

We are off to the In-laws in the morning until New Year, so I have some time to construct my "speech" for the jeweller. What would you say to him? Would you ask for a re-make? Or would you remake & bezel it? Or start over again with more claws? And would you ask him to meet me some way on the costs? This setting was a real collaboration from he & I. It cost me quite a lot of money as he's quite high end. I'm not happy, but don't want to go in guns blazing. My faith in the setting is melting away. It is up to the job?? At this rate the diamond will be long lost before my daughters are in double figures!

Advice would be appreciated.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also be upset if it popped out twice.
Go back and demand what you want, I would go in person if nearby

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I would be more than frustrated too especially since he talked you into 3 prongs. I would go over the 2 times its been
loose in 4 months and you dont have faith in the setting anymore. Ask him what his suggestion is...remind him that he talked
you into 3 prongs vs. 5. Remind him of how much you paid for the setting...remind him of how much the stone cost. I had my pear
in a 5 prong setting (plat) for 16 years and not once did it come loose. I had it reset and again it is in a 5 prong setting (14k) but it has only been a year or so so I cant comment on how well the prongs are doing this time (can comment that it made it longer than 4 months
though :| ).

Edit...do you have any pictures or a link to it...I would love to see it!

Edit...I think I found it...is it the setting in this thread? If so, since it is a relatively simple setting I would ask him to remake it with
5 prongs like you wanted in the first place. Although, I am really surprised that they cant get it "seated" correctly in the 3 prong.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-absolutely-pear-fect-ring-is-home.195706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-absolutely-pear-fect-ring-is-home.195706/[/URL]

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you :wavey:

Yes Tyty, it's that pear setting in your link. And I have loved it every single day. But having lost the diamond from the original setting (found it next to my daughters baby seat in the car), to have that jeweller butcher it, to have him then wash his hands of it & to have this custom setting made, I feel I am destined to lose this diamond :errrr:

I have a really good relationship with my jeweller & anything I have needed, he has sorted. Occasionally free of charge too. So I want to be gentle, but firm. He did imply last time that he could add another claw each side at the point of the shoulders, but the claws are fully integrated & it's not a peg head, so I'm nervous of that & their strength & how it would throw the beauty of the setting out of balance.

I love your new set by the way. I am definitely a pear cut girl at heart :love: (Though I want a big emerald cut. And a classic Tiffany. I need help!!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the problem might be that you have one prong - the one going to the tip of the pear - that's very long and not reinforced in any way. If that's the case, the answer would be to either shorten the distance to the tip - i.e.by using more of a basket-like structure - or to re-design the ring so the stone is centered over the shank more, which would also shorten that prong. I don't know what your setting is made of, but it's also possible that using a stronger would solve the problem. If the problem is tied to that long prong, adding two prongs would provide some insurance against losing the stone, but they wouldn't solve the problem.

But I could also be way off base - hopefully some of the experts will weigh in.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the setting plat or 14K? I dont know if that is the problem or not. My new setting has a small basket so the struct/prong that
goes to the point is not long at all. It comes off the basket so it is short.

I think if he is willing to remake it that you might want to go with a 5 prong or go with a basket and 3 prongs...basket and 5 prongs
would really make it safe! Unfortunately, you will have to give up some of the side view of your stone (worth it to me to not have
to worry so much).

Here is a side shot of my ring so you can see the basket and the center prong coming off the basket. I'm not saying its the right
answer for you but it may give you some ideas.

BTW...we're almost pear twins, about same size, same color but mines an SI1.

2016-12-26_16.jpg

2016-12-26_0.jpg

2016-12-26_1.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Tyty. The setting is platinum, and yes, I think a basket underneath is what it maybe lacking, to sit the stone in & brace the claws. And as VR said, the front prong IS very long on my setting, so I guess these are all factors. Hmmm... brain scratching....

I love your new twisty setting. And yes, we are twins!!

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If two times the diamond became loose, it might be lost... tyty333 gives you perfect example of "safe" setting. Diamond should have support basket under the rim.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex honey I have nothing to add but to say I am so sorry this is happening and I agree with the above posters and wish you lots of good luck in getting this issue successfully and safely resolved. Your gorgeous pear is precious and must remain safe and protected and continue to be able to be worn and enjoyed by you! (((HUGS))).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy. I am so upset. I love this diamond to bits & but I'm beginning to feel like it's cursed! Xx

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results