shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice and suggestions on this diamond, please.

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have learned so much from the great information on this site.

I think I may have found a good stone. What do you all think? Are the twinning wisps, internal graining, feather, and indented natural something I should be worried about? (Is an indented natural really bad?) What about the faint fluorescence? I'm thinking about putting this in a halo with G melee. Would an I be too warm? Any other issues or questions I should have answered before buying?

Are there alternatives that I should be considering?

ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements: 7.67 - 7.71 x 4.73 mm
Carat Weight: 1.71 carat
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 45%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
FINISH:

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
Comments: Twinning wisps are not shown.Internal graining is not shown.

Screen%20shot%202011-10-12%20at%2010.10.16%20AM.png
Screen%20shot%202011-10-12%20at%2010.20.39%20AM.png

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks promising from the numbers, ask for an idealscope image.

Can you list the inclusions in the order as it is listed under the mapping?

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
The order on the cert is:

Under comments:
Twinning wisps are not shown.
Internal graining is not shown.

Then after the diagram,
Feather
Indented Natural

Does the order in which they are listed make a difference?

Thank you!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes.

Under comments, it will be noted if the inclusions not plotted are grade setting. Both the inclusions type under the comments are not grade setting, so at worst only a VS2 grading, nothing to worry about.

Under the map, the inclusions are listed in the order of severity. If the feather is the same grade as another inclusion, it will be listed first. So the feather in this case is the grade setting inclusion but the indented natural not necessary a better grade than the feather.

This stone is from JA right? I would request the stone to be looked into by their gemologist to see if it is eye-clean, do no assume it is from the image or map for a SI1 or worse, and if the indented natural will be a problem to the durability of the stone.

I color should be fine with a G color side stones, general rule of thumb is 2 grades difference in color is acceptable, but it also depends on your color sensitivity.

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
More information:

The gemologist has determined that this diamond has nice light performance and its I color performs well. The gemologist's trained eye saw a small amount of cloudiness from the unplotted inclusions but says that it is unlikely that the average eye will be able to see this. He believes that I'll view this diamond as eye clean with a nice sparkle.

Should I be concerned about the cloudiness? Should I keep looking?

I'll ask about the durability issue. Any other comments or alternatives that I should consider? Screen%20shot%202011-10-12%20at%202.43.58%20PM.png

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Ask if eye clean to whatever your specs are (i.e. can't see anything from any angle, eye clean from the top down, etc.). I would also ask for an IS image.

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
I've posted the IS image. Thanks everyone!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS image looks good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The IS looks good. What is the price (if you want suggestions of comparable alternatives)?

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
The price is roughly 13,200. Is this a good price? For a really great stone I could push it to the 15k range but I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is a very good price. I don't see anything else that would be a better value.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you are concerned about the cloudiness, perhaps get it sent to you while you are still in the return period before you get it set?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did they tell you if it was eye clean? And by your definition of eye clean? To me, the natural is not an issue, that's prongable. But I don't love what I assume are those feathers. I am concerned they will be eye visible. But the cut itself, and the flor, all sound fantastic.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitteratti|1318455768|3038822 said:
More information:

The gemologist has determined that this diamond has nice light performance and its I color performs well. The gemologist's trained eye saw a small amount of cloudiness from the unplotted inclusions but says that it is unlikely that the average eye will be able to see this. He believes that I'll view this diamond as eye clean with a nice sparkle.

Should I be concerned about the cloudiness? Should I keep looking?

I'll ask about the durability issue. Any other comments or alternatives that I should consider? Screen%20shot%202011-10-12%20at%202.43.58%20PM.png

That would be an automatic No for me. The whole point of a diamond is that it sparkles... cloudiness directly inhibits sparkle. Assuming the gemologist is not superman, if he noticed it presumably you can too, once you've trained your eyes to look for such details. And if you're on this site odds are you're already interested in the details - you're prime material for that sort of training...

If you're seriously considering this stone I would strongly ditto slg - have it shipped out loose and take it in to your local jeweller and compare with LOTS of other stones.

Glitteratti

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I do really want a diamond that SPARKLES like crazy, and I am not comfortable with the cloudiness that may inhibit the sparkle. I might have to keep looking...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results