shape
carat
color
clarity

Admiring/complimenting bling IRL

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering what all the fabulous PS'ers think about admiring and/or complimenting someone's bling in real life. The reason I ask is that whenever I see someone with a spectacular piece I can't help but stare and get that :love: look in my eyes :lol: But I am always afraid to say anything to the wearer, or ask to see it closer, etc. I always think they are going to think I am being rude or something (not sure what), which is ironic since I love it when people compliment my ring. :confused:

Just yesterday a woman at work grabbed my hand and admired my ring, saying she had seen it in a meeting earlier in the week and was "blinded" by it and just had to get a closer look. I was thrilled at the unsolicited compliment!!! Besides my post in SMTB and showing my real life friends, that was the first time it was ever admired without me saying "Hey - look at this!"

So what do you think? Would you be offended or thrilled if people you didn't know admired and complimented your bling? I notice people looking at my ring, and clearly admiring it, but the incident yesterday was the first time someone actually SAID something. Is it just common courtesy to quietly admire something and thought of as incredibly rude to voice your admiration out loud?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I compliment bling when I see it. I love to get compliments on mine so I never wondered if it was weird for someone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if being a guy makes this more or less likely, but of course I love when my rock is appreciated.
It is not very often that somebody says something, but it's very cool when they do.
(I hold it up and show them there is no metal under the diamond. So far nobody had ever seen a tension setting before)

Sometimes I'll compliment a person on her/his diamond.
It depends on the situation.
If I'm standing in line at a food store I'm more likely to compliment a woman's bling than if I notice it on her in the parking lot at night.
I don't like to make anyone uncomfortable.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I would be extremely thrilled if someone complimented my jewelery.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should ask that today....

Just this afternoon I was standing at the counter of Helo Ops (helicopter flight line) waiting for my latest hellicopter tour of Iraq. :rolleyes: One of the ladies that works ther was chatting with me and I happened to spot her ring and I just said "Wow, that's a beautiful ring! Can I take a look?" She just lit up at my words and handed it to me so I asked if I could slip it on my finger and take a few pics. She told me to go right ahead. Then I asked if I could take it outside and get a few pics in the sun. After that I went inside and showed a couple of the pics I'd gotten while she told me the story of buying it for herself. She seemed delighted that I'd complimented the ring and was only too happy to show it off.

I know better than to brag on seeing pretty bling without showing pics, so.....
TPTL-ClusterHalo.jpg
TPTL-ClusterHalo2.jpg

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Wow - that's one of the most unique rings I've ever seen! Beautiful!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i stopped complimenting people IRL. We were at the SD zoo when this ring caught my attention. I looked over at the hand on the rail and saw a Ritani Endless Love-esq ring on the woman next to me, and said, "your ring is beautiful!" She flinched and looked like i was going to fling poo at her or something, snatched her hand away, and said, "uh, okay". She then looked at my earrings, pendant, and ring, and said, "oh, i thought you were trying to distract me or something, sorry." WTF?! B-please, it wasn't even that big, like i'm gonna steal it. my one earring alone is bigger than her center stone! :rolleyes:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FK, please don't let one unfortunate experience stop you from spreading the good vibes.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1299358820|2865597 said:
i stopped complimenting people IRL. We were at the SD zoo when this ring caught my attention. I looked over at the hand on the rail and saw a Ritani Endless Love-esq ring on the woman next to me, and said, "your ring is beautiful!" She flinched and looked like i was going to fling poo at her or something, snatched her hand away, and said, "uh, okay". She then looked at my earrings, pendant, and ring, and said, "oh, i thought you were trying to distract me or something, sorry." WTF?! B-please, it wasn't even that big, like i'm gonna steal it. my one earring alone is bigger than her center stone! :rolleyes:

Oh wow. See, that's what I am afraid of if I compliment someone's bling - that they'd think I'm some crazy person trying to rob them! LOL

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never mind when people compliment my jewelery.

Haha, they always try to guess what it is though (since almost all my pieces are colored stones that are somewhat unusual). My tsav often gets mistaken for emerald, my spinels for sapphire, etc. The one that gets correctly most often is my tanzanite, I guess it's more recognizable.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1299355805|2865563 said:
I don't know if being a guy makes this more or less likely, but of course I love when my rock is appreciated.
It is not very often that somebody says something, but it's very cool when they do.
(I hold it up and show them there is no metal under the diamond. So far nobody had ever seen a tension setting before)

Sometimes I'll compliment a person on her/his diamond.
It depends on the situation.
If I'm standing in line at a food store I'm more likely to compliment a woman's bling than if I notice it on her in the parking lot at night.
I don't like to make anyone uncomfortable.

If I saw your ring in person I would DEFINITELY ask for a closer look, Kenny! I have only ever seen one tension set diamond before. It belonged to a classmate of mine in college and was only about .30 ct. but it was gorgeous!

I have never seen another asscher in real life...I keep waiting and watching, though!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think I keep coming back to Pricescope because people actually compliment you here on your bling.
IRL I don't hear much about the things I wear. and sometimes when I do I get the sense people thinK I'm showing off. (though I have smaller things compared with most of what you see on here).
I like to compliment people on their bling IRL for the reason that I wish someone would compliment me sometimes.
I find that people usually LIKE to be complimented. Of course I observe certain rules. I keep my body distance far from them when I do, unless they offer to show it to me closer, I often just say something quickly and keep walking, which makes it obvious to most people that it's just a compliment, I'm not scouting out to rob them, and of course I am the sort of person physically that people tend not to be afraid of (short, middle-aged woman, doesn't look very strong, not strangely dressed in most people's view). I am not physically threatening looking and I make sure that I don't appear TOO interested.
I also pay people compliments if they have a nice outfit on or have something unusual on them that I like. I like to see how people smile when you pay them a compliment. I especially like to compliment people that are older or heavier or something like that (where people tend to either ignore them or be mean). I often think especially that there are a lot of very pretty older women, like 70 or 80 and plus, who dress very nicely andsometimes unusually, and obviously care about their appearance and people don't even seem to look at them, which I think is sad (and a little scary, since I'll be one one day--not too far off).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about it, most of the compliments I receive on my rings (from people I don't know) are from food servers or sales clerks -- I am always thrilled - sometimes it is a quick "your ring is so beautiful / sparkly" and sometimes they want to know what kind of stone (usually one of my Tanzanites) - but one person said "wow, your husband must really want people to know you're married" about my ER - I said "thank you" as a reflex but later I thought it was a strange way to phrase a compliment and maybe it wasn't?

But the other day I was on the subway (NYC) and I noticed a woman's classic emerald-cut solitaire - it wasn't a diamond but I couldn't get a good look to see what kind of colored gem it was - I glanced over several times (basically when I glimpsed movement out of the corner of my eye) hoping to catch a better view -- and then I noticed she moved the ring around so the gemstone was facing her palm and only the shank was viewable! I'm not sure if she noticed my looks and freaked out, or if she usually does this on the train and just had forgotten to turn it before. I would have been too far away to compliment her, and I was wearing gloves so my rings weren't visible... but still I wondered if my glances had creeped her out into turning her ring.

So I'm with the people who say the environment they're in often guides whether they offer a compliment or not -- I don't want to make people afraid or nervous, and I definitely don't want to make people feel so insecure they don't wear their jewelry.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get a lot of compliments on my jewelry. I always say thank you, and then say something nice about what they are wearing.. One time a man grabbed my hand ( :o ) And said isn't that on the wrong hand.. Now that floored me because I didn't see him going to grab my hand. And two..... I explained to him it was a RHR.... Right hand ring... He said well someone loves you a lot... Cause you have one on the left that is a killer, and one on the right that is amazing...

OMG I wanted to run.... The owner of the store, said gosh I am so sorry. I said look, it's no biggie.

I don't compliment strangers on their jewelry. But that's just me. I am very private. I want to get about my business by myself, and don't like talking to strangers....

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm always a little surprised, but definitely happy when people compliment my ring. A guy at work said something like "My wife can never meet you, because she'd be jealous of your ring. It's beautiful!" It was kind of a cute way to phrase it - he probably felt a little weird being a guy and complimenting jewelry, since usually it's women who notice. Though another male co-worker once did the "Wow, somebody must love you" thing when my ring was especially sparkly.

I don't have a problem complementing people I know, but I do feel awkward with people I've never met. I was staring at a woman's ring while boarding a plane once and really wanted to say something, but I held back.

Now that I think about it, I should tell one of my co-workers that I love her set. It's a thin solitaire with a beautiful diamond, and the wedding band is thick. I like the unusual combination since I've never seen something like that before. It really caught my eye! Otherwise I work with mostly men, so there's not a lot of bling around.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1299365987|2865686 said:
A guy at work said something like "My wife can never meet you, because she'd be jealous of your ring. It's beautiful!".

This reminded me of something a male resident said to me after I first got my asscher. I had the asscher and my plain band on my left hand and my previous wedding set (.51 princess and princess cut channel band soldered together) on my right hand. He asked why I had 2 wedding sets, and when I explained that we had just upgraded, he said "I hope my wife never meets you!" It was funny and cute!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like receiving compliments when they're genuine and tasteful. By tasteful, I mean the person giving the compliment doesn't draw a lot of attention to us and my jewelry when doing so, that sort of behavior would make me feel uncomfortable because of the danger of becoming a target.

I've received a lot of nice compliments on my wedding set, and only a couple not-so-nice ones.

I was shopping in Fields once (oh, how I miss Fields!) and the woman working behind the candy counter said something along the lines of "Oh, what a nice ring. It's so simple." I think she mentioned that the size was nice and small, too. It just seemed a bit rude, as if she was really trying to be condescending.

I was on a bus in the city and a young guy with a girlfriend practically yelled "Look at that ice! You could go skating across that thing, it's huge!" which, while genuine, made me very uncomfortable because of all the attention.

Sometimes it's fun, though. DH and I were in a bar watching UFC fights a while ago and I heard a younger couple talking about my wedding set. He kept saying it was huge and she kept saying "I really love it! I hope I have a ring that beautiful one day . . . " so it was sweet to hear. We ended up talking and the guy told me I was a bad influence. :cheeky:

I'm hesitant to compliment strangers because people in my town are a bit rude in general. They have amazing jewelry, though, and I often want to get a closer look.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I always compliment bling and I love it when I receive compliments on my rings. I'll let homeless people try them on.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1299375931|2865752 said:
I always compliment bling and I love it when I receive compliments on my rings. I'll let homeless people try them on.

Really?
That is surprising - and in a way it is very very cool of you, and I admire your trusting and sharing something they don't get a chance to enjoy otherwise, much like sitting at the wheel of a Ferrari.
On the other hand I wonder if it can make certain homeless persons feel even worse about being homeless.
I'm sure it just really depends on the person since people vary so much.
How do they react?

I heard about one homeless man who was begging.
My friend offered him some money and asked if there was anything else she could do for him.
He said, "Could you please just touch me? Nobody has touched me for years."

She hugged him and he cried.
This just broke my heart when I heard it.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I will compliment someone on beautiful jewelry when I see it, but always discreetly. One of my college professors called me out in the middle of class one day (it was a substitute, thank god! I'd have had to transfer out of that class ASAP had it been the regular prof!). He went on and on in the middle of class, talking about "Boy, look at all those rocks! Are they real? That must have cost a fortune. Look at how you just sparkle! Is that your engagement ring? No?? Wow, what's that going to be like? How much did this one cost?" I was beat red by the end of the conversation, and that was literally mid-lecture. I felt awful, and I would NEVER want to make anyone else feel the way that he made me feel that day.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes, I feel a little uncomfortable if someone compliments my jewelry. I never know quite what to say in response.
Usually, I just say a quick thank you. I never know if people want more information or not.

I do like to compliment others though. Not just on their jewelry but on bags or shoes or just a great outfit. I usually make it just
a quick comment. You never know how you affected a person by your nice words. They could be having a great day or a horrible
day, but a compliment is always nice.

Some people though you can tell by their demeanor that they would not be receptive. Like the lady I saw in Panera with a diamond
the size of a nickel. I really wanted to comment and ask her about her stone but she didn't seem like she would be receptive. But,
boy did I want to.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kenny, I was exaggerating! There really are no homeless people around my house. But I will let a complete stranger try it on. In the grocery store or a restaurant etc.

And Kizzy and Yaya can wear my jewelry anytime.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Elrohwen|1299365987|2865686 said:
I'm always a little surprised, but definitely happy when people compliment my ring. A guy at work said something like "My wife can never meet you, because she'd be jealous of your ring. It's beautiful!" It was kind of a cute way to phrase it - he probably felt a little weird being a guy and complimenting jewelry, since usually it's women who notice. Though another male co-worker once did the "Wow, somebody must love you" thing when my ring was especially sparkly.

I don't have a problem complementing people I know, but I do feel awkward with people I've never met. I was staring at a woman's ring while boarding a plane once and really wanted to say something, but I held back.

Now that I think about it, I should tell one of my co-workers that I love her set. It's a thin solitaire with a beautiful diamond, and the wedding band is thick. I like the unusual combination since I've never seen something like that before. It really caught my eye! Otherwise I work with mostly men, so there's not a lot of bling around.
It's funny, because I'm the exact opposite. For some strange reason I tend to be much more comfortable complimenting strangers. I'm particularly bad complimenting someone (particularly a friend) directly after they compliment something about me - it feels like a forced compliment somehow, even if I mean it.

A random woman behind me paying for breakfast complimented my ring this morning. I glowed for like an hour (my mom laughed at me) and am always happy when I have the chance to compliment a stranger.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulu, Kizzy and Yaya would love to try on your bling.
I'll grab a camera. :bigsmile:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like taking off my rings for other people to try on - especially strangers but also family / friends - I guess it is weird of me but I take care of my jewelry and they are my treasures and really, other people don't seem to value them the way I do - but you know what? I guess I am a little anal that way because I also don't really like to loan out my books - I take good care of my paperbacks and they pretty much look brand-new even after I've read them (I keep quite a library and I re-read books) - but my husband and others say they don't like to borrow my books because they're in too-good condition. Yup, I am one of those people who use a bookmark and don't put books page-side down...

But rings? I'm always a tiny bit afraid someone will play keep-away with it and not give it back to me, or will drop it or bang it or whatever. In a lot of ways I'm a "whats mine is mine" girl... stuff I let people borrow or take or use is generally stuff I can live without or easily replace - my jewelry is not in that category.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I compliment people on their jewellery all the time, but I work in a retail environment, so making conversation is expected. The customers always seem to enjoy compliments. I only make brief compliments along the lines of "I love your ring, it's so sparkley" and I never ask to see anything closer, or grab anyone's hand, so it doesn't get awkward. My workplace had fantastic lighting, so everyone's jewellery always looks like a million bucks.

I also get my bling complimented quite often (good lighting and all), but once I had a customer actualy grab my hand and scrutinize my ring intently for a little while before declaring it a "very fine stone". I think he must have been a trade member. Compliments mean more to me when I know the person is truly interested in diamonds/jewellery and not just distracted by the all the pretty coloured sparkles.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
When something dazzles, I compliment the person -- but frequently she (he) looks as if I'm going to steal it. That reaction always surprises me. I'm thrilled if somebody notices mine; hardly anyone does around here. I had a 3-stone ring, diamonds & a sapphire, & women at work occasionally asked to try it on -- I was glad to let them. Not sure I'd go so far w/a stranger in a checkout line.

I wouldn't like a stranger grabbing my hand, either. Not unless I offered it. Kind of creepy.

--- Laurie

P.S. HopeDream -- love your avatar!! Is that brooch yours?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I get into tons of conversations about jewelry and I don't hesitate to ask to see someone's ring closer (on their hand of course!) or tell them I find it lovely. 99% of people light up and love hearing it. The occasional antisocial wingnut rolls their eyes like they're just wayyyy too good to take a compliment. But most people, yes, love hearing their jewelry is gorgeous.

I suspect the fact that I work at an antique mall, and am doing things with my hands like ringing things on a register and wrapping with tissue on a counter, leads people to 1. notice my jewelry more than they otherwise would, and 2. feel like they're in an atmosphere that makes it OK to say something about it. I'd say I get a few compliments a week on my jewelry- and 99% of the time I love it. It's the occasional insane comment that'll make me twitch but I am quite sure most of us PSers know better than to say "Wow your husband must really love you!" (<--- least favorite "compliment" ever!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK, I think people to hang out in antique stores appreciate such things much more than the general population would.
Lucky you.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak - Sadly, I'm not wealthy enough to own the snowflake in my avatar, but one day when I'm a rich lady......
Your avatar is breathtaking !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results