shape
carat
color
clarity

Adeler Jewelers in Great Falls, VA - anyone use them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I heard about a jewlery store in the area where I live that does excellent custom work. I was thinking that I wanted Leon to reset my RB for my anniversary next year, but after checking out some of the pieces on Adeler Jewelers'' website, it looks like they do excellent work as well.

Has anyone here used them for custom work? If so, can you post pics? Thanks!

Here''s a link to their website: http://www.adelerjewelers.com/Custom/index.htm

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I have never used them, so I can''t help there, but I SO WISH I had used them for my reset. I will kick myself forever for not using them. The reason being, they do not even require a deposit for a custom job. You don''t have to pay until you pick up the ring, IF you like it. If you don''t, you can just walk away, or have them re-do it. Once you pay for it, they will still re-do it over and over if necessary. You could come in 6 months later and have them remake it. The only extra cost would be if you used bigger stones or something. And, if you came in 6 months later and said, "I don''t like this ring anymore", (& don''t want a remake) then you would get a store credit. The best custom policy I ever heard of. (At least that is what they told me.) I was a complete idiot not to use them. I am still feeling sick over my custom fiasco, and I kick myself 1000x a day for not going with them to do custom.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi old-fashioned girl, thanks so much for your input. Do you know if they will make a ring for a diamond that I did not get from them? Because I already have a center stone, I just have it in a solitaire and want something a little more intricate.

Also, if you don''t mind my asking, who did you go with for your reset?

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 4:18:10 PM
Author: vespergirl
Hi old-fashioned girl, thanks so much for your input. Do you know if they will make a ring for a diamond that I did not get from them? Because I already have a center stone, I just have it in a solitaire and want something a little more intricate.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, who did you go with for your reset?
My reset was done by Quest. Yes, Adeler will let you use your own center stone. In fact, I think they also do recycle projects, like they will even use the metal & stones from another ring, e.g. if there are sentimental reasons to do so or other.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Friends of our''s bought her wedding set there and she highly recommended them when DH and I were looking at engagement rings. Her engagement ring is a simple custom job, 6 prong head soldered to a comfort fit 3mm band and it''s beautiful. Her wedding band is a princess cut eternity band and it''s goooorgeous!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback! It looks like white & ivory also has a great selection of designers - I will check them out too, since I am in Reston - thanks for the input!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Vesper- Since you are in Reston, have you tried M.Beem jewelers at Plaza America? They are in the office buildings next to Champs. They are the ones whol discovered the chip in my princess cut diamond. http://www.mbeemjewelers.com/

ETA: There's also Bella Diamonds at the Lansdowne Town Center: http://www.belladiamondsinc.com/ I haven't bought anything from them, but they have a nice selection!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just checking...if you DC locals also have any recommendations for good places in Montgomery County...I thought I''d ask. I''m hearing in this thread more about the DC area than I ever have. Don''t stop!

wwoolz

Rough_Rock
this is my first real post. So I apologize in advance if any of my questions have alreay been addressed.

We have just started looking and live in the DC metro area. We went to Charleston Alexander today, in Falls Church (a little ghetto). It was ok, I was a little surprised when the salesperson told us that they specialize in ''cut'' and don''t keep anything other than vs1-sI1 in stock. I assumed that most jewelry stores keep a little bit of everything, but maybe I am mistaken? We are planning on heading to I.Gorman in the District and Mervis Diamond Importers in Tysons. I did a quick google search to see if anyone had done reviews on any of these vendors and they were positive, for the most part. I am very new to this whole thing so if anyone has any tips, I would love to receive them.

Also, please tell me if I am being to picky because the lady at CA acted like I was asking for the world.

Cut: Round, Excellent
Color: F - G
Clarity: VVS2-VS2
Carat: .90-.99 (i heard it is cheaper to keep it under 1.00)

Is it really hard to find a diamond in this range? We are also thinking of going wholesale with the diamond and getting the band custom made (I really like the post by BlueKeet, Gabrielle E-Ring - what a stunner)

Thanks for reading and I hope someone replies.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 11:25:47 PM
Author: wwoolz
this is my first real post. So I apologize in advance if any of my questions have alreay been addressed.

We have just started looking and live in the DC metro area. We went to Charleston Alexander today, in Falls Church (a little ghetto). It was ok, I was a little surprised when the salesperson told us that they specialize in 'cut' and don't keep anything other than vs1-sI1 in stock. I assumed that most jewelry stores keep a little bit of everything, but maybe I am mistaken? We are planning on heading to I.Gorman in the District and Mervis Diamond Importers in Tysons. I did a quick google search to see if anyone had done reviews on any of these vendors and they were positive, for the most part. I am very new to this whole thing so if anyone has any tips, I would love to receive them.

Also, please tell me if I am being to picky because the lady at CA acted like I was asking for the world.

Is it really hard to find a diamond in this range? We are also thinking of going wholesale with the diamond and getting the band custom made (I really like the post by BlueKeet, Gabrielle E-Ring - what a stunner)

Wwoolz,

Talk about the pot calling kettle black...but...you'll do better creating your own thread. That said...

a) the size you're seeking is a bit hard to find options for...especially since cutters try readily for the 1 carat mark, and because, in opposition to your desire, they will fetch more for them then. But, they're certainly available, and I purchased for my wife a .9 G VS2, so I support your effort.

b) the vs1 - si1 shift that CA does is one you might consider, but no big deal.

c) not sure what you'll find in stock locally. I did read another person recently shopping CA and locally quickly turned on a dime and decided to go with an internet vendor here. There's certainly advantages to shopping either way... Locally, if you can find a vendor with selection (may be hard to do), you can see and compare in the store, and have them easily for guilt free maintenance. Via the internet, your selection will be there, and with the quality and price you can optimize on...but you'll be less able to compare and appreciate that. Also, no easy maintenance solution, though most writing here seem to find no problem going into a local store they'll otherwise have, or seek to have a relationship with, for that no cost servicing.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
RG/Ira -

You might want to check out McCutchen Jewelers on Rockville Pike. They''re currently on the lobby level of the Hilton, but will be moving soon. I talked to the owner yesterday for about an hour - he seems to really know his stuff and cares about the quality of the jewelry and diamonds he sells. There was no pressure whatsoever to buy. Hope that helps! http://www.mccutchenjewelers.com/index.htm

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2008 7:37:16 AM
Author: SparkleSparkle
RG/Ira -

You might want to check out McCutchen Jewelers on Rockville Pike. They''re currently on the lobby level of the Hilton, but will be moving soon. I talked to the owner yesterday for about an hour - he seems to really know his stuff and cares about the quality of the jewelry and diamonds he sells. There was no pressure whatsoever to buy. Hope that helps! http://www.mccutchenjewelers.com/index.htm
SparkleSparkle,

Maybe I should have spoken to the owner, too.

About 5 years ago, based on positive press there...here on Pricescope...it was really the one place my wife and I went to ring shop, hoping to consider having them set a diamond I was planning to get at what is now James Allen. Truly...I may not have been the best communicator, but the woman I found there, I found to be overly controlling...and then not really interested in working with me, based on not being involved in only selling the setting.

Maybe I should give them another try? We do need maintenance, and for more minor purchases, I do seek another local jeweler. Where will they be moving to?

BTW, another resource I have found somewhat helpful is Jewelry by Design...not the one in Woodbridge with a web presence, but the one in White Flint Mall, where the owner there has been helpful to me.

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I asked him specifically since there are signs everywhere saying "store closing" - he said that he is definitely still in business - he has several prospects for locations - just trying to figure out the best deal/best location combo. I got his card - Donald McCutchen, President. He said their phone number will stay the same, if he can help it.

Yesterday I also stopped into Aras Jewelers about a mile or so up the Pike, near Party City. They were very helpful, but a little pushier and a tiny, tiny selection. I also wasn''t as impressed with their quality. They did offer to make anything from scratch from a photo or piece of jewelry and vowed that their prices would be much less than anywhere else I could find.

I''ve also had good experiences with Khoury Bros, also at White Flint (and Tysons). Khoury has been great with showing settings - I''ve spent probably 3-4 hours in their stores asking questions, trying things on... no pressure at all. Their proprietary settings appear to be good quality.

CK Jewelers at Lakeforest has good quality stones - they carry the higher colors/clarities and prides themselves on that fact, along with their settings not being "the norm." Their prices were a little high, I thought, but I''m sure that''s from "maul" rent.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 9:55:54 PM
Author: february2003bride
Vesper- Since you are in Reston, have you tried M.Beem jewelers at Plaza America? They are in the office buildings next to Champs. They are the ones whol discovered the chip in my princess cut diamond. http://www.mbeemjewelers.com/

ETA: There''s also Bella Diamonds at the Lansdowne Town Center: http://www.belladiamondsinc.com/ I haven''t bought anything from them, but they have a nice selection!
Hi Feb! I LOVE M. Beem. I go in their to browse sometimes. I didn''t know they did custom work too - I''ll also check out Bella diamonds.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 11:25:47 PM
Author: wwoolz

We have just started looking and live in the DC metro area. We went to Charleston Alexander today, in Falls Church (a little ghetto). It was ok, I was a little surprised when the salesperson told us that they specialize in ''cut'' and don''t keep anything other than vs1-sI1 in stock. I assumed that most jewelry stores keep a little bit of everything, but maybe I am mistaken? We are planning on heading to I.Gorman in the District and Mervis Diamond Importers in Tysons. I did a quick google search to see if anyone had done reviews on any of these vendors and they were positive, for the most part. I am very new to this whole thing so if anyone has any tips, I would love to receive them.

Hi Woolz, my diamond is from Mervis in Tysons. I think they are more expensive than PS vendors, but they have some nice diamonds. They also have a fabulous upgrade policy - 100% of the price of the diamond forever. I switched from my original asscher, then upgraded to a bigger asscher, then finally upgraded to my 2 ct RB, and I only paid a little more each time (for the price of the bigger stone). Some vendors make you pay 50% more of something, but their upgrade policy is great, and you can upgrade as many times as you like.

That said, they buy their diamonds on diamond-buying trips to Israel and South Africa, and all that they sell is their own stock. So unlike a lot of online vendors that list the same stones that are on the market, they only sell stones that they already own. Since all they do is diamonds, Mervis does have a lot, but when I was looking at a 2 ct H&A G SI1 RB, they only had like 5 to show me. Also, Mr. Mervis gets most of his stones certed by EGL to keep his costs down - some I saw were dogs, but mine is great and totally stood up to GIA & AGS certed stones that he also had (he has a couple but they are WAY overpriced there.)

So, for me, it was worth it to go with a local jeweler with a great upgrade policy (my husband didn''t want to buy online) and I went in there with an Idealscope to make sure I was getting H&A, and also compared my EGL "G" against GIA & AGS "G" stones. If you''re educated, you can find a great diamond there.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that there are only two jewelers in Great Falls. I finally used one of them. The one I used had come with a recommendation from a local friend who likes to buy his wife nice jewelry. One of the Pricescope regulars recommended a Great Falls jeweler, too, but I do not recall if it was the same one. I would research it today, but I am about to leave on a trip. Maybe I can look it up tomorrow if someone else does not help you to find the information in the Pricescope archives.

Deborah
34.gif

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 9:55:54 PM
Author: february2003bride

ETA: There''s also Bella Diamonds at the Lansdowne Town Center: http://www.belladiamondsinc.com/ I haven''t bought anything from them, but they have a nice selection!
I just purchased my Tacori setting and eternity band last month from Bella Diamonds and was very pleased! I can''t vouch for their selection of stones, as I reset my RB and didn''t need a center stone.

I didn''t realize there were so many jewelers in the DC metro area!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
One more jeweler that is in Falls Church that came recommended to me by a friend was Dominion Jewelers.

ETA: Wanted to add one other jeweler that I've worked with several times; Aspen Jewelry Designs in Herndon, Va.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results