shape
carat
color
clarity

ACS Umbalite Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Received it on Friday and I love it. Here's Barry's photo of it, it's a 2.6ct 7.3mm Umbalite Garnet.
ga-6068g_366_general.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A little hard to photograph, can''t seem to get the pink flash very well from inside the house even by the window.

IMG_1812.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting comparison with my 8mm Tanga Garnet from Barry. Tanga Garnet is definitely darker and more red.

IMG_1821a.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
With another Umbalite Garnet I got earlier from Barry, which is a little lighter. I got the small round for a bezel stacking ring so the lighter color will actually work great for that.

IMG_1829.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I love that stone, it is really beautiful. I even see a tad of orange in there too. How will you set it? Both stones are really beautiful.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
very nice color! You have a great garnet collection going. If you have the time at some point could you post these next to the ones you already have set?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE it, and it''s such a pretty pink!! Enjoy it!! Beautiful, and so are your other garnets as well. Nice colleciton.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty, pretty!
36.gif

drooling...
3.gif
3.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 2:42:21 PM
Author: innerkitten
very nice color! You have a great garnet collection going. If you have the time at some point could you post these next to the ones you already have set?
Just for you, I tried "family photos" of my garnets and oh my, I have the hardest time getting all the colors to show in the photos! Here are just a few I managed to get quickly.

DSC_0105a.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking much more red under a different light.

DSC_0066a.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 2:38:59 PM
Author: Linda W
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I love that stone, it is really beautiful. I even see a tad of orange in there too. How will you set it? Both stones are really beautiful.
I''m torn between setting the tanga garnet or this umbalite. My budget is low right now (just bought my early birthday present) so I can''t afford anything fancy, so I''m considering a simple solitaire and I wonder if the larger sized Tanga would look better? Any suggestions on a nice inexpensive setting would be great
5.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 3:29:44 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I LOVE it, and it's such a pretty pink!! Enjoy it!! Beautiful, and so are your other garnets as well. Nice colleciton.
Thank you! There are subtle color differences between the stones which I find really fascinating, but I can't seem to capture at all. This stone is definitely more pink, while tanga looks deep red indoors with some pink in the sun. My 2 umba garnet from Gene tend to be more purplish in most lighting conditions, with pink flashes outside in the sun. It's amazing how each stone has its own characters, and as you can see Garnet is my favorite to date
2.gif

Poor DH can't understand why I keep getting the same "red" stones. LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 4:14:43 PM
Author: Babyblue033

I LOVE it, and it's such a pretty pink!! Enjoy it!! Beautiful, and so are your other garnets as well. Nice colleciton.
Thank you! There are subtle color differences between the stones which I find really fascinating, but I can't seem to capture at all. This stone is definitely more pink, while tanga looks deep red indoors with some pink in the sun. My 2 umba garnet from Gene tend to be more purplish in most lighting conditions, with pink flashes outside in the sun. It's amazing how each stone has its own characters, and as you can see Garnet is my favorite to date
2.gif

Poor DH can't understand why I keep getting the same 'red' stones. LOL!
Ha, I started a thread on that somewhere - about those of us keepy buying the same species of stones in similar colors. I do this with tourmaline, so I know how you feel. Well, you have a beautiful collection, and hubbies just don't "get it" do they???

ETA, I really like the trellis setting that BEG just got. in one picture she posted, she put her cushion cut tourmaline in that setting on a diagonal, and I thought that was so pretty and unique. I would do a yellow gold with the Tanga, and reserve a white gold for the pink umbalite (I like pink stones in white gold - makes them pop).

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Congrats!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get the ring and pendant setting for your umbalites? They are lovely and make the stones stand out. Now you need a matched pair for earrings.
11.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL, I did see BEG''s trellis but I missed the photo of cushion tourmaline in it. I did love her spinel with it though and that was one of the reasons why I was considering a solitaire. I''m partial to tapered shanks though, where it gets narrower towards the head. Whiteflash Legato would be a perfect setting except it''s way over my budget right now
7.gif

Chrono, the ring was a semi-mount I found at a jeweler in diamond district and pendant was a custom from Whiteflash. I got the ring first and wanted a pendant that''ll go with it. Funny you should mention the earrings...
31.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for posting that! They look great together and I like the subtle shift of color (from more purple to more red) in the two types of light.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL, what do you think about rose gold for the Tanga instead of yellow gold? I just never wear yellow gold personally but I do LOVE rose gold. I don''t think I''ve ever seen rose gold solitaires though, I guess it''s not that popular?
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm doing a rose gold solitaire for my pink asscher spinel. The setting is supposed to look like this but without the diamonds on the shank. My local jeweller has it in white gold and I asked for pink, which he said is a wonderful idea as it'll highlight the pink while hiding any brown tint.

taffinpixlikedanielk - Copy.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 5:18:24 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m doing a rose gold solitaire for my pink asscher spinel. The setting is supposed to look like this but without the diamonds on the shank. My local jeweller has it in white gold and I asked for pink, which he said is a wonderful idea as it''ll highlight the pink while hiding any brown tint.
Wow I think that would be beautiful! When will it be ready? I can''t wait to see it
36.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I LOVE it, and it''s such a pretty pink!! Enjoy it!! Beautiful, and so are your other garnets as well. Nice colleciton.
Thank you! There are subtle color differences between the stones which I find really fascinating, but I can''t seem to capture at all. This stone is definitely more pink, while tanga looks deep red indoors with some pink in the sun. My 2 umba garnet from Gene tend to be more purplish in most lighting conditions, with pink flashes outside in the sun. It''s amazing how each stone has its own characters, and as you can see Garnet is my favorite to date
2.gif

Poor DH can''t understand why I keep getting the same ''red'' stones. LOL!
It''s just a serious case of umbalite fever!
6.gif
Fully agree that matching umbalites will soon be needed for earrings. You are building a lovely garnet suite.
36.gif
Love the pictures under the different lights. See, they don''t always look the same.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 5:12:35 PM
TL, what do you think about rose gold for the Tanga instead of yellow gold? I just never wear yellow gold personally but I do LOVE rose gold. I don't think I've ever seen rose gold solitaires though, I guess it's not that popular?
33.gif
I think rose gold would be nice as well, I just mention yellow since it's more easily attainable and easier for jewelers to work with. That's also probably why you don't see a lot of rose gold solitaires, or rings for that matter.

Did you ever save Barry's stock image of your Tanga? Would like to see it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very nice. What a great little garnet collection.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the garnet - great color.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG that stone (and your whole collection) are AMAZING - I HAVE to get me some of those
30.gif
30.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow you have a DROOL worthy collection!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty garnet! I do like the idea of yellow gold with this one - that is, if you wear yellow gold. If not, then I would say rose gold, but either way it''d be so pretty!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 4:19:12 PM

Thank you! There are subtle color differences between the stones which I find really fascinating, but I can''t seem to capture at all. This stone is definitely more pink, while tanga looks deep red indoors with some pink in the sun. My 2 umba garnet from Gene tend to be more purplish in most lighting conditions, with pink flashes outside in the sun. It''s amazing how each stone has its own characters, and as you can see Garnet is my favorite to date
2.gif

Poor DH can''t understand why I keep getting the same ''red'' stones. LOL!

Ha, I started a thread on that somewhere - about those of us keepy buying the same species of stones in similar colors. I do this with tourmaline, so I know how you feel. Well, you have a beautiful collection, and hubbies just don''t ''get it'' do they???

ETA, I really like the trellis setting that BEG just got. in one picture she posted, she put her cushion cut tourmaline in that setting on a diagonal, and I thought that was so pretty and unique. I would do a yellow gold with the Tanga, and reserve a white gold for the pink umbalite (I like pink stones in white gold - makes them pop).

Thanks TL!

Babyblue, I think this is the pic that TL was referring to it - if I could get a diagonally-set stone in a trellis, that would be really fun - that might look really amazing with your umbalite
1.gif
Oh and I nearly fainted when I saw your "family pic" of the garnets- amazing!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your garnet collection is gorgeous! My birthstone is garnet, and I never liked them until I stumbled into the Colored Stones section on PS. I always thought they were that super dark red that looks black color. I never realized they actually were such amazing colors! Your necklace and ring are beautiful.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I love the color on that stone! Your whole collection is just beautiful - what great shades on those stones!! Have fun deciding which/how to set your new ones - can''t wait to see them.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results