shape
carat
color
clarity

Achroite

DOCSKI

Rough_Rock
This ring is one of my favorites not due to its design (being very simple) or the monetary value. The stone is a IF 1.08 carat Achroite, that I retrieved from the tailings at the Himalaya Mine in southern California. At first I wasn't sure what I had it was larger and shiny with a facet-able side and very clear and striated, clearly not a quartz so I put it in my pile and took it home to see what it was. After much deliberation with my gemologist friend he determined it was a colorless tourmaline. So I sent it out with the rest of my finds and it came back absolutely beautiful, and seemed to pick up a light pink/peach color when around skin in incandescent light, but it doesn't do it in florescence or sunlight (where it turns just bright white). I had it set in a Tiffany setting on a sterling silver band as what my wife calls her throw-down ring. She loves wearing it but will wear it in place of her wedding band and engagement ring when we travel abroad or to areas that are not always so nice. While I love that she wears it a lot.... I am not so fond of her throwing it down if we get mugged....
DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2628.jpg
DSCF2622.jpg

My favorite is when we have it cleaned in malls (Tiffany settings get filthy) and the laddies are like what a pretty diamond :???: ........ then i ask them "Would you put a IF clear diamond in a Tiffany setting on a sterling silver band?", I never seem to get an answer though.

Docski
-lover of all things shiny and not so new

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah, the Himilaya Mine. did you know at one time it produced the most prized pink tourmaline? it was the gem of choice for chinese royalty. i have a couple of unset faceted pieces.

perhaps its time to buy your wife a real throw-down ring? i agree it would be a pity to lose this.

MoZo

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would be much easier (if more expensive ;)) ) to replace a diamond ring than this - a good achroite from a famous mine.

Nice ring!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww...I'm sorry she feels that way Doc. I would say this is NOT a throw-down ring!!! A stone found by your husband, regardless of what it is, is priceless!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results