shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA vs expert selection

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I posted a couple days ago about a ring I’m picking out from Whiteflash for a replacement of a damaged one. My old ring was a round 1.8 GIA H si2 ex (though not ACA) and was set in the beautiful Whiteflash Tiffany platinum setting.

The stone I had on hold was an ACA 2.11 j vs2. It looks beautiful though I’m a bit nervous on the J color— though this one will obviously be better cut than my old one.

I’ve been going back and forth on the J and just put this stone on hold—

It’s an expert selection 2.36 I si1– is larger, one grade better color, and one grade in clarity less (which I’d rather as I can never see any inclusions!) A Whiteflash rep told me over chat that it’s totally eye clean.

It’s also 4K more— which is doable but isn’t nothing. I have a hard time spending money on myself when it’s a non practical item.

I guess I’m wondering about the cost benefit analysis of dropping in this cut quality (even though I’m sure ES are beautiful) to get a higher color and larger stone. Is the extra money and loss of ACA worth it? My husband said he just wants it to be right for me.

I’ve asked WF to show me images of both and so I’ll probably have those on Monday.

I know “worth it” is subjective — but I thought I’d throw this scenario out to the experts! Thanks!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Well I've never seen an ACA so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have an amazing stone that in the past I inquired about trading up through WF to go bigger (it's not a WF stone) and they said it would qualify as one of their ES stones.

My stone is crazy (to my eyes), super sparkly & so many rainbows under certain lighting. I honestly can't imagine how it could sparkle more.

So I think you'd be safe with an ES from a performance standpoint. What you'll have to decide is what is more important to you from a mine clean perspective, the better color or knowing you got the absolute best cut with the ACA.

My stone is a K and while I love it, if I could do it again I'd probably go J, so if you're worried about J then I might be safer for you.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

1. I posted a couple days ago about a ring I’m picking out from Whiteflash for a replacement of a damaged one. My old ring was a round 1.8 GIA H si2 ex (though not ACA) and was set in the beautiful Whiteflash Tiffany platinum setting.

The stone I had on hold was an ACA 2.11 j vs2. It looks beautiful though I’m a bit nervous on the J color— though this one will obviously be better cut than my old one.

I’ve been going back and forth on the J and just put this stone on hold—

It’s an expert selection 2.36 I si1– is larger, one grade better color, and one grade in clarity less (which I’d rather as I can never see any inclusions!) A Whiteflash rep told me over chat that it’s totally eye clean.

It’s also 4K more— which is doable but isn’t nothing. I have a hard time spending money on myself when it’s a non practical item.

I guess I’m wondering about the cost benefit analysis of dropping in this cut quality (even though I’m sure ES are beautiful) to get a higher color and larger stone. Is the extra money and loss of ACA worth it? My husband said he just wants it to be right for me.

I’ve asked WF to show me images of both and so I’ll probably have those on Monday.

I know “worth it” is subjective — but I thought I’d throw this scenario out to the experts! Thanks!

I would suggest going to your local jeweler and compare an J and I side by side to determine if you can see a difference. As we say on PS cut is king and you might regret to pass on an ACA if you are not color sensitive.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the Expert Selection eligible for WF's upgrade policy?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

1. I would suggest going to your local jeweler and compare an J and I side by side to determine if you can see a difference. As we say on PS cut is king and you might regret to pass on an ACA if you are not color sensitive.

Yes— I did this and really couldn’t tell the difference in jewelry store lighting from h, i, or j— but I get the jewelry store lighting is not real life lighting.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Well I've never seen an ACA so take my advice with a grain of salt. I have an amazing stone that in the past I inquired about trading up through WF to go bigger (it's not a WF stone) and they said it would qualify as one of their ES stones.

My stone is crazy (to my eyes), super sparkly & so many rainbows under certain lighting. I honestly can't imagine how it could sparkle more.

So I think you'd be safe with an ES from a performance standpoint. What you'll have to decide is what is more important to you from a mine clean perspective, the better color or knowing you got the absolute best cut with the ACA.

My stone is a K and while I love it, if I could do it again I'd probably go J, so if you're worried about J then I might be safer for you.

Thank you. That is helpful. I don’t think I’ll have a mind clean issue between ACA and ES. I doubt my old ring would have qualified for ES and I still loved it— so the chance for something more amazing with either ES or ACA is exciting.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Great question. I was wondering about their ES verse ACA collection myself. Depending on the size of the stone the savings may be significant. Did you compare the numbers on their reports? They may be similar just slightly off here and there. I love my stone but sometimes wish it were a little bigger. So I’m constantly on WF. haha

You also said you loved your old stone and it wasn’t a premium diamond. With that said, you probably will love ES stone. And whether it’s ACA or ES it will be a beautiful stone that outperforms most you will see in everyday life.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Great question. I was wondering about their ES verse ACA collection myself. Depending on the size of the stone the savings may be significant. Did you compare the numbers on their reports? They may be similar just slightly off here and there. I love my stone but sometimes wish it were a little bigger. So I’m constantly on WF. haha

You also said you loved your old stone and it wasn’t a premium diamond. With that said, you probably will love ES stone. And whether it’s ACA or ES it will be a beautiful stone that outperforms most you will see in everyday life.

I imagine with the lifetime upgrade option it’s tempting to look on Whiteflash and look at all the choices!!

I asked WF through chat why it missed the ACA mark and they said a heart or two was just slightly not as symmetrical as an ACA but nothing that would be noticeable through the naked eye.

I guess I need to determine what I value most— size, cost, color, aca etc. lots of choices! I tend to lean in valuing what I can most clearly see, which I guess would be size and color and so if these stones stones are both beautiful, is the size and color increase noticeable enough for 4K extra.

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve owned a WF ES K and now own a WF ACA K; I would not hesitate on a WF ES if the images are good. I’m on mobile so can’t search as easily but if you look back thru my threads, I think I have pics of both for comparison.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine with the lifetime upgrade option it’s tempting to look on Whiteflash and look at all the choices!!

I asked WF through chat why it missed the ACA mark and they said a heart or two was just slightly not as symmetrical as an ACA but nothing that would be noticeable through the naked eye.

I guess I need to determine what I value most— size, cost, color, aca etc. lots of choices! I tend to lean in valuing what I can most clearly see, which I guess would be size and color and so if these stones stones are both beautiful, is the size and color increase noticeable enough for 4K extra.

I think most ES stones will be amazing IRL, so I wouldn't worry about it being less well cut. Just because it didn't quite meet ACA standards doesnt mean you'll notice a difference with your eyes, especially if it's an issue of 1 or 2 arrows not being totally symmetrical. If it looks bigger and whiter, that might be worth 4k to you. I'd wait for the comparison pics and let your eyes decide.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ACA, PS and ES stones are all eligible for WF's excellent upgrade policy.

I'm on my mobile but it appears there are some very minor inconsistencies in the hearts. They are very minor and not a worthwhile concern IMO. In every other way, this stone nails ACA criteria.

It's one of the better ES stones I've seen, and I would have no hesitations buying. Especially if you are uncomfortable with the J color.

My vote is for the I -- nice find.

Screenshot_20200209-112248_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200209-112802_Chrome.jpg

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
ACA, PS and ES stones are all eligible for WF's excellent upgrade policy.

I'm on my mobile but it appears there are some very minor inconsistencies in the hearts. They are very minor and not a worthwhile concern IMO. In every other way, this stone nails ACA criteria.

It's one of the better ES stones I've seen, and I would have no hesitations buying. Especially if you are uncomfortable with the J color.

My vote is for the I -- nice find.

Screenshot_20200209-112248_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200209-112802_Chrome.jpg

Thank you so much for taking a look. That’s reassuring!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would not be nervous at all with an excellent cut J but that’s just me. I have an excellent cut K and no regrets on color. Again, just me. I sometimes wish my stone was slightly larger as stated previously.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you have them hold a credit card and send you both stones to view at home with your existing diamond?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Can you have them hold a credit card and send you both stones to view at home with your existing diamond?

I hadn’t thought about that. Will they do that? They have my old stone and setting so I guess it would be just comparing them to each other.

I don’t think I’ll have any regrets with the I color, other than the additional cost. If I can’t really tel a difference in color or size I’d rather save the cash. But is also like to just be settled with the stone and not think, maybe I should upgrade color in the future. It’s a nice option to be able to upgrade but I almost don’t want what to be in my mind.

Reactions: AV_

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember there is bands, or ranges, of color in diamonds especially the lower you go in color. In D there is very little variance, but the lower you go in color there is more variance.

What this means is you could end up with a J+ (almost I), J- (almost K) or just a normal J.

Since you are nervous about the color I would ask WF to send you some comparison shots of the I and J next to each other in a variety of lighting conditions. Also, perhaps a video as well. Make sure you get a good pavilion view comparison as the pavilion/body is where tint is most noticeable.

All you have to do is ask. WF has all their stones in stock and does this quite frequently.

Maybe it will give you some warm fuzzies.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What’s the mm difference between the two?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Remember there is bands, or ranges, of color in diamonds especially the lower you go in color. In D there is very little variance, but the lower you go in color there is more variance.

What this means is you could end up with a J+ (almost I), J- (almost K) or just a normal J.

Since you are nervous about the color I would ask WF to send you some comparison shots of the I and J next to each other in a variety of lighting conditions. Also, perhaps a video as well. Make sure you get a good pavilion view comparison as the pavilion/body is where tint is most noticeable.

All you have to do is ask. WF has all their stones in stock and does this quite frequently.

Maybe it will give you some warm fuzzies.

That’s a good point. I had asked WF if the J was high or low and they said it was a “solid j” which made it seem like middle of the road but who knows. That was the answer I got when I had asked them to compare several J’s next to each other to see if one was higher and they said they were all solid J’s.

that will be a good question to ask about the I as well.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a good point. I had asked WF if the J was high or low and they said it was a “solid j” which made it seem like middle of the road but who knows. That was the answer I got when I had asked them to compare several J’s next to each other to see if one was higher and they said they were all solid J’s.

that will be a good question to ask about the I as well.

I think WF will answer what they can directly for e.g., yes, stone is eye clean. That is more noticeable, IMO. However, color we all perceive that differently. Some of us are not color sensitive while others are. Also, when I purchased my K ACA studs I asked if they are yellow. And they said, they are a beautiful K that will be sparkly and bright on your ears. See how they avoided answering the specific question. It’s not wrong at all how they answered. Its an excellent sales tactic 101 since we all perceive color differently.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think WF will answer what they can directly for e.g., yes, stone is eye clean. That is more noticeable, IMO. However, color we all perceive that differently. Some of us are not color sensitive while others are. Also, when I purchased my K ACA studs I asked if they are yellow. And they said, they are a beautiful K that will be sparkly and bright on your ears. See how they avoided answering the specific question. It’s not wrong at all how they answered. Its an excellent sales tactic 101 since we all perceive color differently.

Agree color is very subjective and there isn't really a best color so much as a color that is satisfying to the wearer of the stone.

What I dislike is the term "yellow". Yes I get the most common undertone is yellow, which provides the "tint" you see in lower colored stones. Assuming you don't have a more rare stone with a brown, grey, etc undertone I think the term yellow is too harsh personally.

See the pic below. While I see tint (and personally prefer an icy white D), I would also have a hard time saying any of the stones were "yellow".

Agree or disagree?

diamond-color-side.jpg

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Agree color is very subjective and there isn't really a best color so much as a color that is satisfying to the wearer of the stone.

What I dislike is the term "yellow". Yes I get the most common undertone is yellow, which provides the "tint" you see in lower colored stones. Assuming you don't have a more rare stone with a brown, grey, etc undertone I think the term yellow is too harsh personally.

See the pic below. While I see tint (and personally prefer an icy white D), I would also have a hard time saying any of the stones were "yellow".

Agree or disagree?

diamond-color-side.jpg

I totally agree about bit being subjective. I showed my 6 Year old a picture of a j colored stone from the side with considerable warmth and asked her what color it was and she said, it’s not a color, it’s just sparkly.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree about bit being subjective. I showed my 6 Year old a picture of a j colored stone from the side with considerable warmth and asked her what color it was and she said, it’s not a color, it’s just sparkly.

Haha, that is the best answer ever!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8.24 to 8.68

If the $4k is in your budget I would go for the bigger stone. Thought I read here that most people who see ES and ACA go for the ES because the price difference isn’t worth the slight performance improvement. When you get the side by side videos hopefully you have a gut reaction which stone is right for you and the decision process is an easy one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results