shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA Classic vs. New Line - The Best Way to Compare

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd guess the clairy is FMS2.

Frozen Melting Spit 2.

Am I close?

Cool pics though.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kenny

It was represented as an SI-3 !!!! Obviously I did not agree.

Whomever graded this diamond SI-3 obviously was sick that day, and his seeing eye dog did the grading.

Photographing this stuff is fun though......

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Indirect light of a Solasfera Photo

Thought you''d like to see this...

Rockdoc

Indirect Halogen 1 sm.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The same Solasfera ASET PHOTO

Rockdoc

ASET 1 sm.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool RocDoc.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's one I took.
Classic on left, New Line on right.

No photoshopping.
No splicing either, both stones really were side by side.
Aligning arrows in two stones is something I do NOT want to have to do for a living!
Sheesh!

If anyone has more tips on how to improve my photography I'm all ears.
This pic just doesn't do justice to these beautiful stones.

I may try some more tomorrow.
My appologies to Whiteflash.
I really wanted to get good photos that showed Classic and NL side by side.
As it is my pics only are showing how bad of a photographer I am.
38.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Kenny

Think you have to experiment with the lighting. Maybe more directly overhead or aimed at the bottom of the stone.

You could also try a penlight laying in front of the stone on the black reflective surface.

From those pics, it looks like the light is aimed at the upper girdle facets on the top of the stone.

Try also lighting the stone from the top perpendicular to the girdle

What aperture setting are you using?

Rockdoc

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe these were all at f16.
My lens goes to f32 but at f16 my exposures are already a few seconds long at this enlargement.

I was worried if I went to f32 exposures may run very long and my floor is not very stable and I may get more vibration.
But I should try everything.
Don't have to pay for film.
36.gif

For the record here is what I bought.
The second kit shown is the Jewelry Kit.
Click on the lights.

tabletopstudio

Oh, and how much will a polarizer help?
I have a 52mm but this lens needs a larger one.
And won't that gobble up two stops of light too?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried looking straight down on the diamonds with all the light come from above.
I even tried pointing the lights at the ceiling.

I was not happy enough with the pics to post them.
Still the results look nothing like GOG's or Whiteflash's website.
I give up trying to photograph these, and I have to send one back tomorrow.

We've decided to keep the ACA Classic .748 I VVS1.
Why?
Honestly, probably just because it is bigger.

I've carried both with me for a week.
I've spent a lot of time looking at them side by side in my car, at work, at home, at the store, in the sun, in shade, under a tree, in a movie theater, in candlelight, at sunset, sunrise and at noon, near a window, in my basement and even in moonlight.
In some lights I like one, in other lights I like the other.
Then I'd rotate them a few degrees to the left and my favorite would switch again.
It has been very illuminating.

After the prefect diamond viewing experience, I don't see why there is so much fuss about painted diamonds.
They certainly look different but I can't conclude that overall one looks better or worse.
The larger one, the Classic, had a .035 carat unfair advantage.
If the New Line diamond was larger I'll bet we would have kept that one.

Thanks to everyone for following this project, and helping me with my little Diamond Safari.

Here's my opinion about the Classic vs. New Line question . . . just ignore it and select based on all the other usual considerations.
Either will be stunning.
Yes my conclusion is the same as what everyone else said.
If I was more trusting I could have saved myself some time, but I had to see for myself.
It was a fun and educational experience.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Well, Kenny

You''ve had quite an adventure. You certainly have put forth more effort than the average person.

Sometimes, it just takes a lot of photos, to get just one that you like. Sometimes, I''ve taken 20-30 short and none of them, have turned out the way I want them to.

Then other times, even though I do the same thing, I great incredibly good photos. (Maybe digital cameras have a mood they get into)

The other part is that the digital cameras rarely pick up the dispersive colors unless you have the stone totally out of focus. Haven''t figured out why that is. It just is.(shrug)

I sincerely wish my photos came out as good as what my eye sees.

I think you''ve learned that when you have two really great stones, it is very difficult to separate one from the other to figure out if one is better than the other. It just takes a lot of practice, which takes a while to get good at doing. Like you previously said, you have a new respect for those of us who do take these photos that are in the biz.

I admit I am a bit spoiled as about 98% of the stones I get to "play" with are the really incredible cut ones. But in the past 6 years of so of doing this I''ve learned a ton about them.

Congrats on your selecting, and new pet rock!

Rockdoc

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay! congratulations on your purchase kenny!
36.gif

what fun it must have been to spend so much time with these beauties. there is no way i could have done it. if i had two amazing diamonds on my hands for that long, i would not have been able to send one back!
39.gif

thank you for taking the time to report your assessments, as well as those of others. your efforts and subsequent reporting will be of great help to those who are sure to follow in the process. the side by side comparison and accompanying viewpoints is invaluable.... not to mention the pics! did you happen to get any h&a shots?
20.gif
i''ve been working with the camera trying to get some nice arrows shots to post but haven''t been happy with anything so far. i really hope you will post more pics. i am learning so much with all of the great input.

btw...new avatar is awesome! is that your inspiration pic, or the actual painting? your work is so detailed and exquisite it''s impossible to tell. the coloring and composition are magnificent.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"I sincerely wish my photos came out as good as what my eye sees. "

Truer words have never been spoken! I often think that as I play around with my stone and digital camera. I have not seen a camera capture the stone as it really looks to your naked eye. There''s just so much going on within the stone and the magical colors.

Kenny your experiment sounded like alot of fun...and it was great to live vicariously through you for a week. Please post pictures of your new baby!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 7:12:56 PM
Author: kenny

After the prefect diamond viewing experience, I don''t see why there is so much fuss about painted diamonds.
They certainly look different but I can''t conclude that overall one looks better or worse.

Here''s my opinion about the Classic vs. New Line question . . . just ignore it and select based on all the other usual considerations. Either will be stunning.

Amen, Kenny!

Your exercise wasn''t time wasted; this experience was totally well-timed and very valuable to the folks here. I''m delighted at the effort you put into this.
36.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RocDoc, thanks for the cool pics.

Belle, thanks for kind words.My avatar is a detail of this transparent watercolor painting.The hardest part is saving the white of the paper since there is no white paint.
CopyofK70res_fencepost.jpg

Here it is on my wall to get an idea of the size.

If I come across the pic of my front gate that I painted it from I’ll post that.

One morning I woke up and opened my curtains and the sun was sparkling on the dew on the spider webs in the iron gate.

It was just magical so I grabbed my camera.

I haven’t gotten any H+A pics yet.

While I had them both I was concentrating on getting side by side comparisons.

I’ll fool around some more with the one I kept before sending it to be set.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, thanks so much for taking such care in photographing these 2 diamonds!!!
36.gif

I also love your avatar and that watercolor of your gate is PHENOMENAL!!

ETA: Rockdoc those photos of strain are incredible.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i thought it might be your painting!
36.gif
awesome. i can empathsize with the difficulty of painting ''light''. i have long since admired the work of steve hanks. it was because of his amazing use of light that i became interested in watercolor as a medium. i am nowhere near your level of mastery but enjoy the process and can appreciate the inherent talent you possess.
as always, i would love to see more pics!

here''s to beauty all around!
embeer.gif

jdhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny, I''m curious which lighting you felt the Classic outperformed the New Line and vice-versa? Any other differences you noticed? Does one appear to be darker more than the other? What about if you include the Solasfera in the equation.

Thanks!!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Kenny I love your painting! it is beautiful and magical like you said. Sorry you couldn''t get the pics you wanted of your two stones. Have you tried natural light? I think the best shots come with natural light. I know it''s not as controlled and in an experiment you need control, but it might get you the pics you want! Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I enjoyed following it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first saw the two diamonds I was surprised.
I expected the NL to be much better.
I don''t know why.
Maybe because of all of the mystique around the Eightstar, that very expensive painted diamond.

But the Classic and New Line ACAs both looked superb.
They were both on clip rings so i could wear them next to my Solasfera.

After a while I started to notice that while both beautiful they did not look the same.
One looked better at one moment, but then when I rotated my hand or moved it with respect to the light the other one looked better.

And it was not like one looked better 70% of the time.

It was really more like 50/50.
This turned out to be very frustrating.
I wanted one to be the clear champ.

That seems to be how our brains are wired.

We don’t like ambiguity, especially with such an important purchase.

I’m sure I could adjust the lighting so one looked brighter.

Then I could readjust the lighting so the other looked brighter.

This proves nothing.

We are not mannequins standing still in a store under a light.
Our hand moves.
Our head moves.
We move through a thousand different viewing and lighting conditions and angles all day long.
Making any kind of science out of my observations quickly proved futile and irrelevant, and I am an engineer who loves studies, experiments, and data.
Too many variables.

Neither was a brighter stone to my eyes in all or most conditions.
I quickly lost track of which looked better in which situation.

I got a dose of reality and perspective as a result of my little test.

Other diamond characteristics are MUCH more important than whether you pick a New Line or a Classic.

We picked the Classic probably because it was larger.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Kenny....i can understand your frustration....whenever I try to compare diamonds I end up realizing that it is just about impossible to have both in the same EXACT lighting at the same time.....and to look at them with the same head angle, and on and on!!!!!!!!

Jd, I remember "meeting you" on your other thread......have you answered your questions about your own diamond???? Hope all is well...

jdhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi Carlotta! Thanks for remembering me and my issue!

I think I have answered my question. I had the opportunity to again view the diamond on my fiancee''s hand and several of her friends'' diamonds over this past weekend when we were all over the city (I did this discreetly, but it was great seeing all of them in various lighting environments!). In almost every lighting environment we were in, hers was just as sparkly as theirs and even more sparkly than most. Hers is also bigger and more noticeable. I also LOVE her setting. However, hers definitely has a noticeable dark center compared to all of theirs, even from a distance. I have no idea if this is because of the ''painting'' or whether it is too shallow for our preference, or whether it is "too good" of a cut for our liking (sounds weird, but we were told maybe it is because it is reflecting too much dark light and shadows for our liking since we prefer very bright).

I was hoping I was just seeing or imagining things... but unfortunately it definitely doesn''t seem so. I guess there are two solutions - take a 30% hit on a $20,000 purchase (ouch) and purchase a diamond elsewhere (maybe we actually prefer a worse-cut stone that has a brighter appearance in the middle??) or try and trade in and hope we get one that has a whiter appearing table.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jd, I am sure you could trade-in your diamond and get another one if your vendor has a trade-in policy. I don''t see your thread in Rocky Talk and we can move this discussion to it if you give me the link. But I''d really like to know the specs on your stone, if you don''t mind listing them.

jdhunter

Rough_Rock
Hi DS,

The specs are...

60.4 Depth
55 Table
34.9 Crown
40.7 Pavilion

Specs look great to me... and the diamond sure does sparkle. But can''t get over the dark core so perhaps a superideal just isn''t what our eyes gravitate towards.

Best regards!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wondered because I looked at a superideal with a 54 table and it also seemed dark in the center in lamp lighting to me as well. I see you have a 55 table. I am not sure if that is the reason, but I am trying to look at a minimum of 56 for the table now. My old diamond has a very large table, and it is always white and pretty. It doesn''t sparkle as much as a H&A, though.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
No need to avoid smaller tables. They can be bright too. I bought a very bright 53.

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 6:06:13 PM
Author: jdhunter
Hi Carlotta! Thanks for remembering me and my issue!

I think I have answered my question. I had the opportunity to again view the diamond on my fiancee''s hand and several of her friends'' diamonds over this past weekend when we were all over the city (I did this discreetly, but it was great seeing all of them in various lighting environments!). In almost every lighting environment we were in, hers was just as sparkly as theirs and even more sparkly than most. Hers is also bigger and more noticeable. I also LOVE her setting. However, hers definitely has a noticeable dark center compared to all of theirs, even from a distance. I have no idea if this is because of the ''painting'' or whether it is too shallow for our preference, or whether it is
''too good'' of a cut for our liking ??

(sounds weird, but we were told maybe it is because it is reflecting too much dark light and shadows for our liking since we prefer very bright).

I was hoping I was just seeing or imagining things... but unfortunately it definitely doesn''t seem so. I guess there are two solutions - take a 30% hit on a $20,000 purchase (ouch) and purchase a diamond elsewhere (maybe we actually prefer a worse-cut stone that has a brighter appearance in the middle??) or try and trade in and hope we get one that has a whiter appearing table.
JD...did you ever post a link to the stone?? Pictures, IS, etc??? What setting did you decide on????

Hope it all works out...
35.gif

jdhunter

Rough_Rock
I will try to post some photos later. I tried to take some but they didn''t turn out very well. I went with a Mark Morrell setting with side diamonds and it is truly gorgeous. Even after reading all the glowing reviews about Mark, I am still blown away by the setting every time I look at it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JD, any rings from Mark Morrell are required to be posted in Show Me the Ring! Didn''t you know that???
2.gif
Hurry and post some pictures for us!!!

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
Was doing some research re: the Classic vs New Line ACA and came upon this thread only to find that the photos had been removed from the host. If anyone has saved these images for posterity''s sake I''d appreciate it very much if they could share.

Kenny? Bueler? Anyone? Anyone? TIA

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t save them but I will tell you that you couldn''t tell the difference in the stones by looking at the pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results