shape
carat
color
clarity

ACA Classic vs. New Line - The Best Way to Compare

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ONLY way to buy diamonds is on the Internet!
But the ONLY way to compare diamonds is in person side by side, preferably at your lesiure, in your home, your car and work place, without a salesman breathing down your neck.
I want the best of both worlds.
So even though I need only one I just bought two, one of each type I am considering.

I will compare them side by side for 10 days and return one - unless I can think of another person to give one to.
18.gif

I don't think this is really that crazy.
I'm only out the shipping charges, and I have the credit limit to cover both, so why not?

I'll see them in sunlight, shade, candelight, flourescent, (sorry no GIA Diamond Dock).
I'll see them in my real life, at work, home, away from jewelry store lights.
I'll get the opinions of others - all totally unscientific of course.
I went with these 4Cs because the recipient is more interested in size than color, and went with high clarity VVS1 for extra peace of mind since it is going into a tension setting.

I'll have these two babies tomorrow:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2410924.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2410928.htmffice

6.gif
ffice" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 2:06:36 PM
Author:kenny

I really think the ONLY way to compare diamonds is side by side.
I just bought one of each.
I will compare them side by side for 10 days and return one - unless I think of another person go give one to.
18.gif

A hearty AMEN on that, Kenny!

Truly, it''s a preference thing. It''s not as though one is glaring better/worse than the other; it''s more what pleases YOUR eye, and no one else can tell you what you personally prefer.

Smart move!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are absolutely right that is the best way to compare!
good for you kenny!
36.gif

it will be great to hear your impression after spending a good amount of time with these stones. i am really looking forward to it!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Interesting Kenny! I will be looking forward to hearing your conclusions.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh cool, can''t wait to hear your thoughts. Always have been curious about the differences as well. I know it''s a totally personal thing. But am looking forward to your comparisons of the two.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve thought of doing the same thing (at least to compare ANY two diamonds!), but I am glad to have you do it for me, Kenny! Those look like great stones! Can''t wait to hear what you think!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU Kenny! I have heard many descriptions of the differences between the classic and new line, and would LOVE to see some pictures side by side, under different conditions - thanks for posting this here!! Looking forward to your analysis!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 2:33:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''ve thought of doing the same thing (at least to compare ANY two diamonds!), but I am glad to have you do it for me, Kenny! Those look like great stones! Can''t wait to hear what you think!
While it will interesting to hear what his preference is, I don''t think that can be meaningfully translated to what *you* will like. That''s like having someone else taste chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream, and assuming that you''ll prefer the same thing he preferred. You may not.
21.gif

Mara and I have both been to Whiteflash twice now, and during those trips, we''ve seen dozens of diamonds.....ACA and ES, Classic and New Line, pavilions with 40.6 angle and pavilions without 40.6 angle. We''ve seen em under office lights, in light from the window, in sunlight, in low light underneath the counter Name it, we''ve seen it at this point, and you know what? Neither of us would be able to consistently pick out the painted diamonds. Neither of us would be able to pick out the ES diamonds.

In the end, all of them were beautiful, and they were tough to tell apart.
1.gif

TC1976

Rough_Rock
That is a good way to find out which cutting you like more. But I think if Whiteflash aware that most of the customer still don''t know the difference between new and classic ACA, They should do something to tell the customer what is the difference. They have some description regarding these two cutting on WF''s website but eventually people still need to ask the difference in PS.

If they could put a video clip on their website wtih both new and classic ACA under different light condition. I believe that it will be very nice for Whiteflash customer and easiler for them to make decision.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 2:06:36 PM
Author:kenny

....and went with high clarity VVS1 for extra tension setting peace of mind.
Kenny,

Is this just your idea...that the VVS1 will give you a measure of protection, or has that come from some authority you''ve heard.

BTW, I also like your approach!

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
It''s a good idea, but like almost every other comparison noted/reported on Pricescope, there are OTHER differences in the diamonds: pavillion angles, LGF''s, etc.......so it will be dificult to tell WHY one diamond is prferred - or not!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regular guy

Going up to VVS1 for more margin of safety in a tension setting is 100% my idea.
It's probably overkill, but that's my style.

Here is my reasoning:
I don't think reputable tension setters will set an I3 or I2 or I1.
This is not for aesthetic reasons; it is for mechanical reasons.
I'd guess the lowest clarity stones are not as mechanically strong as the higher clarity ones.

Don't forget all diamond vendors sell every clarity and don't want to disparage anything that they sell.

They have to be careful how they phrase things.

They would never say SI2s are weaker than VS1s, you just won’t hear such statements.

Then the businesses that sets the stones don't want to risk setting lower clarities and so may advise you to go very high in clarity.
Consider the interests of everyone giving you information.

What is the "safe" clarity threshold for tension settings? SI1? VS2? VS1?
I don't know.
I doubt it’s absolute, as in VS1 and above is guaranteed to never fail but a VS2 will explode when your clap your hands.
9.gif

I don’t think anyone here will argue with this statement: Higher clarity is more likely to be stronger than lower clarity.
I prefer MUCH stronger so I went up to VVS1.

Yes there are other factors, girdle thickness, stress, how hard you are on a stone, blah blah blah.

Again probably overkill but that's my style - it's my money.
Your, or your jeweler's, comfort level may vary.

I even considered the I IF WF had, but then it is difficult to identify an IF stone if it is ever dropped off.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"If they could put a video clip on their website wtih both new and classic ACA under different light condition. I believe that it will be very nice for Whiteflash customer and easiler for them to make decision. "

Not really, because it''s very hard to use any type of tool to capture how the stones look in real life situations. Even SITTING there with 4-6 super ideal classic or painted stones in front of me, or taking one off into the corner to look at for a while, my eye totally gets overwhelmed and can''t pinpoint any one thing in any one stone. So looking at videos of how the diamonds sparkle or look unfortunately wouldn''t be helpful at all, especially given that regardless of how the stones look, it''s still a video or photo medium and does not translate to ''real eye viewing''.

Kenny can look at 2 stones and decide what HE likes but it will NEVER translate to what you like, or what DS likes or what FG likes or anything. Because it''s a personal preference. Alj has a beautiful classic ACA in her ring and she adores it. Does it mean she doesn''t like new line? No. Her pendant stone is New Line and she loves it too. If you ask her, she says typically her preference for ring stones is the classic for extra scintillation. I have 3 painted stones right now and one borderline painted/classic. I have seen a bunch of classics at WF. If you ask me, I honestly COULDN''T CHOOSE which I prefer more. They are both friggin beautiful! Put a gun to my head and ask me to. Maybe then I could. But I honestly love both.

So it will be fabulous for Kenny to give us his own findings and what he likes best but in reality all that means is that we know what Kenny''s preferences and his friends preferences are. It doesn''t help future customers decide whether to buy painted or classic.

But Kenny I love that we''ll get to hear your opinion on things and your friends. I''d also be sure not to color their judgement when you give your taste tests, just ask how the stones look, if they look different at all and how...I wouldn''t say ''oh one is different, tell me why OR say does one look ''better'' to you'' until the very end so you don''t muddy the waters to make them THINK that something is different...you may be surprised when they don''t know what they are looking at how they just think they look beautiful!...just my thoughts though.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smart move Ken. I''d ditto Alj''s comments as well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, off the top of my head I think that Alj has a classic earring and a new line. I think she has posted comparison photos around here somewhere? Am I on crack?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2006 6:04:22 PM
Author: Rhino
Smart move Ken. I''d ditto Alj''s comments as well.
Nah, I was just kidding. I''d rather you do it for me, Jon!
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2006 3:36:34 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 5/24/2006 2:33:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I've thought of doing the same thing (at least to compare ANY two diamonds!), but I am glad to have you do it for me, Kenny! Those look like great stones! Can't wait to hear what you think!
While it will interesting to hear what his preference is, I don't think that can be meaningfully translated to what *you* will like. That's like having someone else taste chocolate ice cream and vanilla ice cream, and assuming that you'll prefer the same thing he preferred. You may not.
21.gif

Mara and I have both been to Whiteflash twice now, and during those trips, we've seen dozens of diamonds.....ACA and ES, Classic and New Line, pavilions with 40.6 angle and pavilions without 40.6 angle. We've seen em under office lights, in light from the window, in sunlight, in low light underneath the counter Name it, we've seen it at this point, and you know what? Neither of us would be able to consistently pick out the painted diamonds. Neither of us would be able to pick out the ES diamonds.

In the end, all of them were beautiful, and they were tough to tell apart.
1.gif
Then I'd say we'd be in good shape with the H&A stones these vendors are carrying. So if I could decide on color, I'd be set! (I wasn't really thinking of Kenny choosing for me. I've pretty much decided which kind I'm going to go with.)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My intention is not to announce a winner.
There is no winner.
This is not American Idol.
In fact it doesn't matter which I pick - except to me.

My intention is threefold:
1. Pick what I like in the optimum buying situation.
2. Learn
3. Share my shopping style (buy two and return one) as an alternative for your consideration.

I hope more customers do this.
I cannot imagine a better, lower-stress buying experience.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 5:44:59 PM
Author: Carlotta
It's a good idea, but like almost every other comparison noted/reported on Pricescope, there are OTHER differences in the diamonds: pavillion angles, LGF's, etc.......so it will be dificult to tell WHY one diamond is prferred - or not!!
actually these two diamonds are remarkably similar (except for the tables which are characteristic of the individual cutting styles). the angles are very close and the lgf's are nearly identical (gia would even list them as exactly the same) but the point is not to differenciate WHY kenny prefers one or the other but to simply give himself, as a consumer, a chance to pick the diamond that speaks to him more. i can truly appreciate this educated, proactive approach to buying.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
way kewl
Im not going to answer your question in the other thread.
Let you see for yourself and im curious if you will see it :}
Just one hint look at the diamond itself not the light show around it.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I can''t wait to hear what you think. What happens if you get them mixed up? hehe

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2006 11:07:00 PM
Author: strmrdr
way kewl
Im not going to answer your question in the other thread.
Let you see for yourself and im curious if you will see it :}
Just one hint look at the diamond itself not the light show around it.
What is more important, the material, or what the material can do?

Not sure why this is significant.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got em.
I just took a break from work to pick them up.

First impression:
Astonishingly Beautiful!!

Just Astonishing! Astonishing!
I knew they’d be good, but not THIS good!

They jump off your hand, crackle in your eyeballs like Pop Rocks candy, and make your spine tingle.

So far, after just a few minutes of quick viewing, I don't see a difference between New Line and Classic.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 12:51:43 PM
Author: kenny

So far, after just a few minutes of quick viewing, I don''t see a difference between New Line and Classic.
2.gif
Had a feeling this would be the case. All the expertise here is great, but one downside is that sometimes, mountains are made out of molehills. For all the discussion surrounding painting, it would lead one to think that the differences are glaring and obvious as the nose on your face. That''s seldom the case.
2.gif

YAY - so glad you like the choices and have found stones you''re happy with. Now comes the tough part - picking just one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! That is SOOOO funny after all the debate going on!!!

Where are the PICTURES, Kenny??? You didn''t go back to work, did you???
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup back to work.

Gotta make money to buy more rocks.

I confess I was expecting to like the New Line more, but honestly I'm stumpped so far.

More later.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough isnt it!?

That is totally the way I am too. I love them both. I wouldn''t toss either of them out of bed. Choosing one or the other would be very hard for me. I''d rather have BOTH.
9.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys help me formulate my questions:

I''m goining to ask co-workers and friends which they like.
I was thinking of these 5 questions:

Which diamond:

looks bigger?
looks brighter?
do you like better?
has more colorful flashes?
has more sparkle or contrast?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/25/2006 2:29:25 PM
Author: kenny
Hey guys help me formulate my questions:

I''m goining to ask co-workers and friends which they like.
I was thinking of these 5 questions:

Which diamond:

looks bigger?
looks brighter?
do you like better?
has more colorful flashes?
has more sparkle or contrast?
are regular people really going to know what contrast is in a diamond?

i''d keep it simple and show them the two stones. ask them what their initial thoughts are (no questions). see what they say...aka ''this one looks brighter'' or similar.

then if they don''t answer the brighter/bigger/colorful questions on their own, prompt them. i''d nix contrast and i''d put ''which one do you like the best'' as the last question.

but really it''s just interesting to put those two stones in front of two consumers and see what their INITIAL thoughts are on their own. you might be surprised at how simply people view diamonds.

make sure you view them in various lighting conditions, aka outside in the sun, inside near an office window, under a desk for some low-light comparison and maybe in the bathroom if there is spot lighting in there or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results