shape
carat
color
clarity

About to Buy! Need your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tefaber

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone...this forum has been invaluable as I''ve been looking for a diamond...I think I finally have one, but I wanted to get your thoughts and suggestions regarding it. The stone is a princess cut with the following characteristics:

1.42 carat - GIA Cert
G color, VS2 clarity
6.22x6.00x4.35mm
Depth: 72.5%
Table: 68%
Girdle: Thick
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Cost: About $6900

Also, if I do purchase the diamond, the dealer offered to have it sent to IGI to certify that the stone is indeed the one listed on the GIA Cert. He also said that they do appraisals? Is this a good way to go? Is there anyone close to me (Ohio) who would do appraisals as well?

Again, any advice on this stone is greatly appreciated...thanks SO much!!

Tim

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The stats you posted look fairly nice. You really need the crown height for better opinions.

Here's a link to the Cut Chart for Princess Cuts:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp

The price is good. A diamond with the exact same stats is currently listed on Price Scope. It's a "List" diamond. The Virtual Inventory offered by Wholesalers that all Vendors have access to. Does your Vendor have physical possession of the diamond?? If so, ask for an Ideal Scope image to check for light leakage and get Sarin info if that's available as well.

Just curious, but why has the Vendor offered to send a GIA Certed diamond to a "lesser" lab like IGI?? IGI charges a nominal fee (like $25) and they are fast. If I were buying this diamond, I would make purchase contingent on an independent evaluation by an Appraiser of my choosing. If the Vendor will ship direct to an appraiser without you having to pay in advance first, that would be even better. There's a list of PS Approved Appraisers you can access by clicking on the link at the top of the page. There are a couple located in Ohio.
1.gif

rookieb

Rough_Rock
How come you are getting it for 6900? the least listed price it $7099?

Can you bargain with the internet stores?

I looked at the same diamond but my only concern is that its not exactly a square. But then I have not seen many diamonds.

Good luck

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Square... it is: at 1.03 LxW ratio this is very square, We are talking about a fifth of a mm difference
eek.gif
after all...

Yeah, the stone does sound nice (since all we know are words about it.

In my opinion, the best way to identify whether the stone corresponds to the cert is not a second certification but an INDEPENDENT appraisal. This, for two reasons: #1 an appraisal by the seller would not be the greatest because he is an interested party in the deal, #2 an appraiser can give his opinion (and possibly some formal analysis) on the optics of the stone and overall quality beyond what the current GIA cert says. After all, some appraisal would be needed for insurance... so why not.

Just my 0.2, of course.

rookieb

Rough_Rock
Sorry

I dont know much. A jeweler I talked to asked me to get something as square as possible.

My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results