shape
carat
color
clarity

about this Ruby i have.

Pjakkur

Rough_Rock
Hihi, this is a old ring i inherited.
I have been curious about the quality and price of the ruby which is quite large.
i showed it to a jewler in an airport, and he thought it must not be a real ruby because of it's size and clarity but mesured it with his lazer tool, and found to his suprise that it was.
I live in Berlin and i wanted to ask.

Is there a place in berlin where i could take it?
to find out if it is unheated and how much it might be worth?
I am also curious to ask, as you can see on the photo the stone is a bit worn, does that tell me anything?

Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 05.13.27.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the jeweller used a Presidum Gem tester it doesn’t really help because lab grown ruby tests exactly the same as Ruby “found in the ground”. A Presidium gem tester is good to ID If a red gem is glass or garnet vs Ruby, but not for telling man made vs real.
Lab grown rubies have been around over 100 years so being old doesn’t tell you anything either. To be sure it needs to be assessed by a gemologist / gem lab.

Pjakkur

Rough_Rock
If the jeweller used a Presidum Gem tester it doesn’t really help because lab grown ruby tests exactly the same as Ruby “found in the ground”. A Presidium gem tester is good to ID If a red gem is glass or garnet vs Ruby, but not for telling man made vs real.
Lab grown rubies have been around over 100 years so being old doesn’t tell you anything either. To be sure it needs to be assessed by a gemologist / gem lab.

Heyhey, thanks for your answer.
I am wondering where to take it in Berlin, or around Berlin.
On this site alot of poeple talk GIA, So i am wondering what is the european equal, and if there is any such legit place in Berlin.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heyhey, thanks for your answer.
I am wondering where to take it in Berlin, or around Berlin.
On this site alot of poeple talk GIA, So i am wondering what is the european equal, and if there is any such legit place in Berlin.

GRS and SSEF, which I believe are both based in Switzerland.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I am 99.9% sure that this is a lab-created ruby. I would not spend the money on a report when it is extremely likely that the report would be more expensive than the ring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, agree, very unlikely to be a natural ruby due to the cut. It is a few hundred dollars to get the ruby tested and some labs require the gem to be sent unmounted (taken out of the setting). So expensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results