shape
carat
color
clarity

About ready to buy an engagement ring

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for a cushion or Octavia. She definitely prefers square-ish shapes based on her other rings.

Do the modern antique cushions have culets @ILikeShiny? If not, I'd vote for that as well!

What a fun project!:love:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Interesting - what I'm seeing there are a number of rings with a 'twisted' or 'rope' shank, like this:

whiteflash%20solitaire-engagement-rings_oval-set-diamond-engagement-ring_ovalsetdiamondengagementring-2.jpg

but that she likes the split shank look, like this:

http://site.debebians.com/blog/wp-c...itaire-Engagement-Ring-with-Bezel-Setting.png

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c0/5f/e9/c05fe962ba63b169706d31458e052988---carat-split-shank.jpg

She also appears to like bezel-set stones and stones with a very simple / chunky facet pattern - perhaps a Rose Cut diamond could be an option??

1.55ct_oval_rose_cut_diamond_bezel_ring_5_2_.jpg

Rose cuts are quite a specific taste, though, and perform very different to a modern cut - it might also be too close to what she's already got. Likewise, another split-shank, 'twisted rope' style might not stand out as an engagement ring.

As already proposed above, I would also cast my vote for an Octavia diamond - because they have the performance (and to some degree, the faceting) of a round, but the shape is square. They also have a high crown, which means they have that 'puffy crown' look that seems to be present in the rings in her box I mentioned above.

They do face up smaller than rounds, though, and they are not cheap (because they take a week of labour to cut to the required precision!) but they are awesome. I recall that @kenny stated previously that his desire to upgrade whatever stone he was wearing disappeared when he got his Octavia, because the performance is that good :)

You could also consider a semi-bezel tension (or tension-like) setting, where the stone 'floats' between the prongs - that makes the most of the Octavia cut by showing it off more than a full bezel or traditional pronged setting, which is why kenny and @Dancing Fire bought their tension settings (as posted elsewhere on the forum). Ok, they are both male and wanted a more 'masculine' ring, so that might also have informed their decision, but a tension setting doesn't haven't to mean 'butch' :lol: lol

Ultimately it's easy to spend someone else's money ;-) so you have to be happy with what you decide on, and it has to 'feel' right for your partner - don't let us enablers push you into something you aren't keen on! :D

Last edited:

whyviet

Rough_Rock
Long story short, I was able to talk to her about preferences without giving it away.
- she would want something that is current/popular
- something that is original

I think aasher and cushion seem to fit that bill though that conversation did not help much! While that rose gold ring was her preference at one point, it would be a good idea to not be too similar as it was a previous wedding ring.

How do you guys feel about the Tacori bands with those cuts?

Last edited:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would also go with an August Vintage Cushion without any hesitation, and I would set it in an inexpensive gold solitaire not silver, Just in case she wants to keep it that way for a while. But I know that will cost a few hundred so maybe that doesn’t make sense to you!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to make sure it’s clear, August Vintage Cushion is cut to very exacting standards currently, but using the larger facets of an old cut stone even though it’s not a stone cut a long time ago. I doubt I explained that exactly right but I thought it would help, it’s basically a brand name that tells you what you are getting. And it’s one that always makes me stop in my tracks. It will definitely be my choice for a permanent stone!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at her jewelry box I agree with others that she seems to prefer a cushion shape. I like GearGirly’s suggestion of putting it in a gold solitaire for now. You two can chose the setting together which would be fun and she would get a ring that is perfect for her while still having a proposal that is a complete surprise.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
August Vintage (or Victor Canera) antique cushion style, 100%. The stones in the rings in her jewelry box were all rose-ish cut cushions. NONE were step cut, and none were modern typical. A newly cut branded antique style cushion is very current, and absolutely stunning.

I would not recommend setting it in a cheap ring. I would recommend getting an August Vintage cushion and having a ring designed by Caysie (CVB Inspired Design).

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should seriously consider this!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cvb-avc-2-52ct-on-loupetroop.235923/#post-4255088

It's an L, so will have some visible tint in some lights and from certain angles, but the facet performance will be superb :)

You did say that size comes first and then colour/clarity, but then you said you'd prefer colourless (so D-F) - that is a slightly contradictory position ;-) lol, but I think the ring above would blow anyone's socks off :)

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Long story short, I was able to talk to her about preferences without giving it away.
- she would want something that is current/popular
- something that is original

I think aasher and cushion seem to fit that bill though that conversation did not help much! While that rose gold ring was her preference at one point, it would be a good idea to not be too similar as it was a previous wedding ring.

How do you guys feel about the Tacori bands with those cuts?

This is so much fun!

Honestly, I would try to get even more specific with her unless she specifically says she doesn’t want to know and she wants to be surprised. I would save a bunch of pictures and go through them with her. Most people love round brilliants rather than going with a different cut. So I would definitely make sure you choose a specific cut that you know for sure that she likes. “Current/popular” and “original” are a bit contradictory because I would be worried that you went either too original or too popular.

I would definitely at least get her to give me specific cuts that she likes, as well as to pick rose gold or white gold etc. And maybe to pick yes halo or no halo unless she doesn’t care.

The Tacori settings are super beautiful btw!

whyviet

Rough_Rock
I believe cushion fits the bill. I had to transfer some money around but I’m all ready to buy now!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe cushion fits the bill. I had to transfer some money around but I’m all ready to buy now!
Have you checked out the link I posted earlier?

I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't be able to beat it for the price!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Exactly this. That ring is to die for and one we all drooled over when it was first introduced. If you can be mind clean with the color rating, maybe she can send a video showing it in actual light at various angles to help you decide.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly this. That ring is to die for and one we all drooled over when it was first introduced. If you can be mind clean with the color rating, maybe she can send a video showing it in actual light at various angles to help you decide.

+1

whyviet

Rough_Rock

I did! But I don't that band is quite her style. I'm likely to buy a loose diamond from JA an mount it on their low end band so she can pick out whatever band she wants later on.

What do you guys think of:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.80-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3437838
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.26-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-839768
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2212415

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did! But I don't that band is quite her style. I'm likely to buy a loose diamond from JA an mount it on their low end band so she can pick out whatever band she wants later on.

What do you guys think of:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.80-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3437838
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.26-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-839768
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/3.01-carat-k-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2212415

The first one 2.8 J VS1 is the only one with potential from the 3. Have you requested an ASET form JA? If not-put the stone on hold and request an ASET, post it here once you get it.

Here is another pretty cushion. Slightly smaller, but whiter:
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/2.51-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3331630

Last edited:

whyviet

Rough_Rock
I'm okay with it being slightly smaller -- would you recommend the 2.51 over the 2.8?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm okay with it being slightly smaller -- would you recommend the 2.51 over the 2.8?
We need to see the ASET for the 2.8. Just ask JA.
Also, I tried reading through the thread, but are you sure that she wants a cushion?

whyviet

Rough_Rock
Sounds good -- it is on the way!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I checked it out. I'd prefer to buy new even though it'll hurt my wallet a bit more. I'm feeling that the band would not suit her tastes as well.

Completely understand. The lower color is also not everyone’s cup of tea.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I definitely get the vibe that she is a cushion girl based on the rings in the box. I don’t necessarily think it means she wants a rope ring though. I have lots of designer chunky rings in my jewel box and that is definitely the opposite of what I want my ER to look like. So the idea of putting it in a simple setting and then letting her pick something or design something with you after the engagement I like a lot. Just to be sure she gets a ring that she loves.

I also love the idea of an new cut antique cushion too. But a well cut non mushy modern would be beautiful as well.

Just make sure wherever you purchase has a great return policy and propose within that time limit. That way if you were way off you would be able to return/exchange for the shape she really wants. You have a fantastic budget so no worries on be able to get her something amazing.

Oh and just keep in mind if she wants a halo or something with diamonds on the shank you are looking at another 3-5k for a beautiful well made setting!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Btw this is a gorgeous pre-loved ring from a PSer, not sure how you feel about preowned, but I figured I would share it:
https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...n-cvb-august-vintage-cushion-avc-diamond-ring

If she likes cushions (which she seems to like them best, from the jewelry box photo), this would be my pick HANDS DOWN. The stone and the setting is to die for. Also, the modern cut cushions will show more tint in the lower colors than the old cuts. So, if you're considering J/K/L, I'd go old cut.

ETA: the 2.8 J from JA will definitely show tint, so you need to make sure she's okay with seeing yellow. I'd try to stick to I and above for modern cushions (H and above if possible).

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results