shape
carat
color
clarity

Aaarrrgghhh! Ring stuck in customs

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My ring is still being cleared. Ordered an EC from GoG, and it was sent on Tuesday. Of course the paperwork (or whatever with Fedex and Canada Customs?) has brought the process to a standstill. If they don't get it moving soon, I won't get it tomorrow and then I'll have to wait until Monday! :errrr:

I know that everything is ticking along nicely, but ...I just wanna see the ring! :bigsmile: I thought maybe a few of you could relate to my impatience and distract me somehow...I've tried chocolate and fishy crackers (hey it used to work on the kids) but once you get to the diamond big leagues, comfort food isn't gonna do it.

Indented Natural

Rough_Rock
There are many possibilities why it's held up, commonly if customs suspects the invoice and the contents are not the same they will investigate it. Many Canadians ask me to reduce the customs invoice to "avoid paying too much" in tariffs but what ends up happening is they want unrealistic values attached to a box that obviously has something much more expensive in it. You can't say it's a $500 ring when the x-ray shows a $5000 one. They're not blind or stupid. The other hold up in my experience is when customers get too anxious to get their item, they call customs and in turn fire the brokerage house assigned to handle the import. It's best to sit on you hands and wait it out.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Neither of those apply here. My post was only about the difficulty of waiting for a very exciting purchase to arrive.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is with the appraiser right now and after waiting almost 11 weeks for its arrival I am going crazy :). Unfortunately I wont be able to wear it until my boyfriend proposes but I should at least have some pics of it to share this weekend. I dont think anything will completely take your mind off your wait but maybe a few drinks with your friends may help hehe :). Anyway hope it comes sooner than later and please post some hand pics !!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Hospatogi. Congrats on your engagement! I'll look forward to seeing yours as well! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indented Natural|1305230519|2919962 said:
There are many possibilities why it's held up, commonly if customs suspects the invoice and the contents are not the same they will investigate it. Many Canadians ask me to reduce the customs invoice to "avoid paying too much" in tariffs but what ends up happening is they want unrealistic values attached to a box that obviously has something much more expensive in it. You can't say it's a $500 ring when the x-ray shows a $5000 one. They're not blind or stupid. The other hold up in my experience is when customers get too anxious to get their item, they call customs and in turn fire the brokerage house assigned to handle the import. It's best to sit on you hands and wait it out.

Are you in the trade?

nurse

Rough_Rock
It's funny you posted that now since i'm in the exact same position! My bf ordered from GoG and I've been refreshing the fedex page constantly! And fedex is such a tease, it keeps switching from in transit to clearing customs and is currently stuck on clearance delay. Also the location keeps switching from us to can. I'm also hoping that it clears tomorrow so I won't have to wait through the weekend :) anyways I totally feel your pain/impatience. Good luck! I hope yours comes tomorrow!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
lol, can't wait to see the pictures. make sure you take lots of them~

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I hear you Nurse. I had customs delay for a while, then it cleared, THEN they pulled it for a second look! Hence the aarrrgghh. Unless customs gets their sweet hiney's in order, I'm going to have to wait the weekend (and beyond?). This is my first order like this, so it's all new for me you know? Kind of nerve wracking. Minmin, when this is all wrapped up, I'll take a boatload of pics! ;))

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305246661|2920169 said:
Indented Natural|1305230519|2919962 said:

Are you in the trade?

I was wondering the exact same thing...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an even worse story for you ;)) I got an upgrade from BGD back in December of 2009, and Brian tried to get it out before x-mas and did get it out his door on time, but it ended up getting caught in customes over the holiday shutdown! It was shipped December 23 and I did not get it until Dec 29th!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
A Xmas hold up? Triple arrrgghh! Making me nervous, them pulling it for a second look (hopefully the ladies at customs just want to try it on :lol: ). Just this morning I was reading the paper and there was a big ad about a local auction of Canadian customs seized items. One was a (I believe it was) 5 carat princess cut diamond ring. I wonder if if this is some of Indented Naturals situations at play...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well Fedex called. They made a administrative error, and the ring was released from customs yesterday. Sooo, I won't get it until Monday now at the earliest. :nono: That's the bad news.

The good news is that the ring has been released from customs. I was starting to worry a bit. Jeez I work all week to get to the weekend, and now I want the weekend to be over. :lol:

Gibson486

Rough_Rock
See if you can intercept it at a FedEx Distribution point.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for trying to help with your suggestion, but I'm on an island, so it's a plane problem and it has left for the day. Flights resume Monday. :rolleyes: I'm thinking of swimming over. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Begonia|1305317135|2921034 said:
Thanks for trying to help with your suggestion, but I'm on an island, so it's a plane problem and it has left for the day. Flights resume Monday. :rolleyes: I'm thinking of swimming over. :bigsmile:

Begonia I suspect we might live near each other ::)

Customes does not actually open your package unless there are extreme circumstances, so no one will be pawing over your pretty!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo hoo that it was released. I can't wait to see it next week. I am a major EC fan. :appl:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I Know Dreamer, I was just being silly :lol:. I talked to a lady at Fedex a few times, and I'm the talk of the department with this ring hanging around. I told her it was my upgrade ering, and she was so cute saying how they were glad it got released and how they like happy ending stories. Not too sure what that means, but I can imagine. Especially after seeing the customs seized stuff in the newspaper. Anyway, I'm in Victoria...close enough to come for a cuppa? (all PSer's welcome of course!)

Thanks for the support Marcy!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Begonia I hope when you get it that it is everything you wanted :)

can't wait to see pics!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
slg47 you're a peach. I'll put the kettle on, bring your bling...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results