carat
color
clarity

A Womans Room

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

It has been distressing for me to see the traffic to hangout at such a low point. It somehow reminded me of a Marilyn French book called A Womans Room. ,published in 1977, Hangout is now A Womans Room. We are constrained to only dealing with soft topics that befit our status as women. I am not advocating our right to freedom of speech, but both the reality and perception that women are unable to behave as, I suppose, God intended. We have gone backward on this board. and+ even though we are at a most critical point in our democracy the Womans Room is back in existence for those smart wonderful women who used come on pricescope. They really ar mart women, nd I miss them.

I have gone to reddit, where I saw how they expanded to Wall Street Bets, and those people have started a crusade of sorts against hedgefund short sellers. They, along with Robinhood have produced some interesting ideas. Reddit withstands the criticism, bad language and scrutiny from outside the organization Robinhood, which is a brokerage for the little guy is going public, after a near crisis from the reddit crowd. And yes, I bought gamestop. This is an example of innovation that could not exist without capitalism and democracy.

The Gov't bodies shape our existence. To dis=allow discussion of all the topics, including the overthrow of that democracy is beyond what advertisers can expect, ( with the exception of lies) or the thought that this should be kept as only a diamond and jewelry board.

I believe you have disrespected women and keep them in The Womans Room. Let the Women out.

Annette

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was brave @smitcompton and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've been torn about the verboten topics because, while some of the discussions got ugly, at least Hangout was jumpin'. On the other hand, the lasting disrespect I developed for some participants in those discussions, and I'm sure the disrespect they developed for me, was a sad and disappointing snapshot of what was happening (and is still happening) in society at large and in the end, I think those forbidden topics are best left in the closet and Hangout remain a near total snooze fest. There is so much anger, hate, and dumb*uckness in the world that boring vanilla stuff is pure respite. That said, I would still support a version of the Steam Room that admin denied when the contentious discussion ban was enacted.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reddit is structured very differently than PS -- IMO no need to knock PS for not being Reddit -- I am glad you have found a place to discuss things important to you on Reddit -- I am glad PS is not like Reddit -- cheers.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer no forum rules beyond forbidding spam and pron.
If people don't like a forum let em leave.

But of course product-related, for-profit boards want to maximize eyeballs and maximum ad income to maximum profits.
Nothing wrong with that, but so much for free speech.

Oh, and this is for both women and men.

I try to start interesting threads that help keep Hangout alive.
More people should make more of an effort to do so.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought this was going to be about she-sheds .....

I beleave you have to have some sort of enforced guidelines otherwise people get so judgmental and the wolf packs come out
I recently answered truthfully to a question on one of Kenny's threads and got jumped on (not by Kenny)
So now ill mostly just shut my mouth

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thought this was going to be about she-sheds .....

Bahhaahaaa. That is the best and funniest thing I've read today.

As far as keeping your mouth shut, there is absolutely no sane reason for you or anyone else to feel as though you can't express your opinion to a bunch of faceless, bodiless strangers on the internets if they don't agree with you. Our opinion shouldn't matter that much to you. And, let's be honest, you've been here since 2019 and have 11,421 posts. I've been here for 18 yrs and have a smidge over 7800 posts so the chances of you keeping quiet are slim.....:lol:. Post what you believe and give a middle finger salute to anyone who is rude to you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bahhaahaaa. That is the best and funniest thing I've read today.

As far as keeping your mouth shut, there is absolutely no sane reason for you or anyone else to feel as though you can't express your opinion to a bunch of faceless, bodiless strangers on the internets if they don't agree with you. Our opinion shouldn't matter that much to you. And, let's be honest, you've been here since 2019 and have 11,421 posts. I've been here for 18 yrs and have a smidge over 7800 posts so the chances of you keeping quiet are slim.....:lol:. Post what you believe and give a middle finger salute to anyone who is rude to you.

Thank you - much appreated

Truthfully i just have insomnia and live in a new town where i havn't made freinds yet
... and its nice to have an exchange of ideas and some pleasantries with people on the other side of the world.

In real life im very quiet and hadly say boo

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t participate in the political threads but they were interesting to read. Yes, people could get heated and maybe sometimes things got out of hand but through sharing perspectives and ideas certainly you could learn so much.

It is so quiet now, not only in Hangout but overall PS seems a bit sleepy across the board.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Post what you believe and give a middle finger salute to anyone who is rude to you.
+1 :clap:

...or just put em on ignore.
I do.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think when you get to the point where someone tells you that you have no business contributing to a thread because you’re not American so it doesn’t concern you, then you’re in the territory that people just stop posting. I don’t know about other people, but I come here for an escape from the madness of every day world, for some pleasant chatter and sparkly glory.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is one of my favourite ways to waste time, and it is one of few things that kept me going throughout the pandemic.

I do not like to participate in discussions on certain subject matters, politics being one of them, in real life as well as online.

It does not mean I do not have an opinion on these subject matters. I just wish to keep them to myself, as I am aware my strong personal views and preferences may not always gel well with other people.

Just because I am not vocal about something does not mean I do not have a view or do not care.

Ignore and/or block is my way of dealing with people I do not like, IRL as well as online.

DK :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care either way. If the thread doesn't interest me or I don't want to deal with certain topics (politics, religion, rights, etc), I ignore it and move on to other topics that I am in the mood for.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Here is some of what bothers me. Those few persons that complained and had these discussions closed don't come here anymore, with the exception of Queenie. And there is only one person that I truly dislike from these discussions and I examined that and found other people in my real life that are the same personality types, I also can't stand.

Kenny and Missy do their best to think up interesting topics for everybody. Many times I read them with no reply. I do like reading every ones opinion.

Kate said that she was upset because she spent a lot of money on diamonds to the advertisers on this board, I mean, doesn't she have a point. In reality she is Pricescopes customer. And my wonderful smart women are Pricescope customers as well. And they are affluent. And Admin has not treated them as valued customers. They are the money ball, along with Kenny and DF.

I don't claim that Pricescope will regain those that have gone, or will entice new posters if you restore open discussions, but I really believe its the "right thing to do". We must always value our democracy.

Last night I saw that Joe Manchin has considered changing his stance on the filibuster. If Joe Manchin can change his mind, then Admin can rethink their position. I was not brave, Matata, as I knew I wouldn't be shot. And Andrey is nice so I guess I thought he also won't ban me.

Basically people here are nice.

Annette

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I only look in to see if anything interesting has been posted, look into RT to see if anything interesting is there, and leave. Its too blindingly white. It seems to me the website is largely for the benefit of the vendors, since one of their reps chimed in on shutting down politics, when I'd never really even seen them participate. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I do miss seeing a lot of the ladies that don't seem to be here anymore. Politics is important to me, especially these days, and I'm not in the market for any diamonds right now so I guess I'm pretty much chopped liver here, lol.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I commented tonge in cheek once on a US political thread, and recieved a bit of backlash & a very stern email from Ella. I personally thought my comment was very humorous. I did very much enjoy those threads though. Different opinions & strong discussions are educational & are what makes the world go round. But now I keep my trap shut & just enjoy PS for the light chat & beautiful jewellery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer no forum rules beyond forbidding spam and pron.
If people don't like a forum let em leave.

Agree completely. We are all adults. If we don't like a topic or post we can just move on and not continue reading the subject that upsets us. Why punish everyone? Why reward bad behavior? As @smitcompton wrote, most of those who were vehemently against discussing politics here are not here anyway and if they are they can just ignore what they don't like. One doesn't have to reply to every post we find objectionable or poster we don't care for. Just keep on scrolling if you don't like a topic. It isn't that hard.

Kate said that she was upset because she spent a lot of money on diamonds to the advertisers on this board, I mean, doesn't she have a point. In reality she is Pricescopes customer

Yes, and she rarely posts here anymore because of a few people (who no longer post) who called her names and treated her (IMO) badly and unfairly. But that is Kate's right to not read or post and I support her 100%. It is just too bad that the people who drove her away were not worth her energy or time and they are no longer posting anyway.

My point is post, don't post but be an adult and move on if you don't like a topic or it becomes too contentious for you to participate. That is up to you and why do those people dictate what we can and cannot discuss? The only people who get to decide that is the owner/admin of the forum. They allowed politics before and disallowed it because certain people behaved very badly and we are all paying the price. Of course it is 100% up to the owner/admin but it is a shame that the people who ruined it for us got to do that and then they disappeared.

It has been distressing for me to see the traffic to hangout at such a low point. It somehow reminded me of a Marilyn French book called A Womans Room. ,published in 1977, Hangout is now A Womans Room. We are constrained to only dealing with soft topics that befit our status as women

Agree. It would be nice to be able to discuss things that really matter in this world with all the smart people who are here. It does feel like we have gone backwards and it is getting harder and harder to find interesting non political topics to discuss. We live in the real world and deal with challenging issues and it would be nice to be able to discuss that again here.

This quote comes to mind.
In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics. ' All issues are political issues..." George Orwell.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too pushed for the political threads to remain a part of Pricescope. We all have different life experiences and opinions. Expecting everyone to agree on any topic is unrealistic. Running to complain to Ella because someone has different views than you do is childish. It’s not that difficult to ignore a thread that doesn’t interest you or put someone on ignore whose posts bother you.

Q

Queenie60

Hi,

Here is some of what bothers me. Those few persons that complained and had these discussions closed don't come here anymore, with the exception of Queenie. And there is only one person that I truly dislike from these discussions and I examined that and found other people in my real life that are the same personality types, I also can't stand.

Kenny and Missy do their best to think up interesting topics for everybody. Many times I read them with no reply. I do like reading every ones opinion.

Kate said that she was upset because she spent a lot of money on diamonds to the advertisers on this board, I mean, doesn't she have a point. In reality she is Pricescopes customer. And my wonderful smart women are Pricescope customers as well. And they are affluent. And Admin has not treated them as valued customers. They are the money ball, along with Kenny and DF.

I don't claim that Pricescope will regain those that have gone, or will entice new posters if you restore open discussions, but I really believe its the "right thing to do". We must always value our democracy.

Last night I saw that Joe Manchin has considered changing his stance on the filibuster. If Joe Manchin can change his mind, then Admin can rethink their position. I was not brave, Matata, as I knew I wouldn't be shot. And Andrey is nice so I guess I thought he also won't ban me.

Basically people here are nice.

Annette

Just an FYI - I NEVER complained to the admins about any posters that I felt bullied me. However, obviously there were a few who complained about me as I was put on "time out" a few times. I have backed off of PS and only post sometimes as I do feel that there are a few on this forum who tend to lash out if you make a comment they don't agree with and they can become quite nasty. And to be honest, it's obvious to me that politics aren't allowed because it has become much too heated. I posted an opinion about the Covid vaccine and felt the heat from a few posters, simply because they don't agree with me. Too many "know it all" types, just my opinion.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Queenie60, I‘ve read your posts and I’m stunned you were given a time out.

I will never understand running to Ella because of something said on an online forum. if you don’t agree with something state your opinion if you want to participate or move on. I have a feeling that many of those who ran to Ella didn’t participate much in political threads, which is find sad. I miss reading everyone’s opinions on politics. It’s pretty dead here on PS now. Seems to me the more participation and eyes on a site the better for its vendors.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Demon and @AGBF, I’ve been a lurker at another forum you both are on. Do you like the forum people and feel as comfortable there as you are on PS? I’m trying to get up the nerve to post. I lurked on PS for at least a year before joining.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
@Demon and @AGBF, I’ve been a lurker at another forum you both are on. Do you like the forum people and feel as comfortable there as you are on PS? I’m trying to get up the nerve to post. I lurked on PS for at least a year before joining.

I do like it there, and that's where I'm spending most of my time. Like any forum, there are good people and bad, and the ignore function works well. (Really, I'm more comfortable there because even though I know a *little* about diamonds, my only real interest is colored diamonds and fluorescence/phosphorescence, so there's not too much for me here since politics has been forbidden.) The moderation there is very fair, I think. Register and post, it'd be nice to see you there. And if you register with a different name, let me and AGBF know, please. :)

I was a little hesitant at first too, because it is a HUGE forum. I've come to realize I know at least 30 other people there from various other places, but there's so many people I often don't run across those I know.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like it there

So is this place a secret? If not please drop the name. The only one I've found is straightdope where you can swear with impunity and call other posts to task without punishment as long as you obey a few rules.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
So is this place a secret? If not please drop the name. The only one I've found is straightdope where you can swear with impunity and call other posts to task without punishment as long as you obey a few rules.

Not a secret - the name came up during the last discussions of the politics ban.

Debate Politics. You can swear there as long as you don't try to bypass the filters. ;-)
Let us know if you join! Lots of conservatives, but I think its heavily liberals.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly the racism and sexism has turned me off of Pricescope.

I’ll take polite chit chat about mundane topics over threads clearly created to promote discrimination.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like it there, and that's where I'm spending most of my time. Like any forum, there are good people and bad, and the ignore function works well. (Really, I'm more comfortable there because even though I know a *little* about diamonds, my only real interest is colored diamonds and fluorescence/phosphorescence, so there's not too much for me here since politics has been forbidden.) The moderation there is very fair, I think. Register and post, it'd be nice to see you there. And if you register with a different name, let me and AGBF know, please. :)

I was a little hesitant at first too, because it is a HUGE forum. I've come to realize I know at least 30 other people there from various other places, but there's so many people I often don't run across those I know.

I want to check out this other forum.
Lacking psychic powers, how might I find it?

Can't you just post its name?
If not, can you post clues to help me google it up?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have not looked at it, but I will. Its so nice to see you all again. Demon, who was the vender who complained? You are not talking about karl are you?

Marianne--I do realize that reddit is different than Pricescope. My point was to show that Reddit allows their members the freedom to form actions on their platform without interference from Admin. They do require that members show proof when they say they bought a stock and made or lost X amount of dollars. They have been severely criticized, but do not then ask their members to change.

On Pricescope members are asked to provide content, teach others, over and over again without pay or recognition (except for Vegas), and purchase diamonds and jewelry from sponsors who pay for advertising. And when a members clicks on an advert for, say a dress, it turns up in their feed for days. Who gets paid for transmitting that advert? Members here are expected to do a lot. Is it too much to expect that Admin not complain about how hard the monitoring of the site is when they choose to monitor, particularly the political threads.

I think there is an imbalance here. People are tired of doing the work and getting little in return.

I have enjoyed pricesope for many years. I am not a prolific poster, but I also enjoy reading others posts. Once people find other homes it is less likely they will return.

Thanks for listening.

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Annette, you are violating PS policies you agreed to follow ...

SNIP:

1. Moderator Action:
    1. Use the
      report-concern.png
      button for any questions related to thread/post removal, policies clarification, etc.
    2. Please do not post assumptions about moderator actions, this creates confusion, use
      report-concern.png
      button so that the moderator may clarify it appropriately. We are more than happy to do so.
    3. Some actions are subject to judgment calls for the integrity of the forum and should be respected as that.
    4. Cross posts of the same or similar threads in multiple forums will be removed.
    5. Out of respect for members/moderators and to avoid confusion any public discussions of moderator actions or policies will be removed.
    6. We reserve the rights to change policies at any time, therefore, please do not discuss policies publicly as they may change.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results