shape
carat
color
clarity

a warning for newbies...please don't buy a RB stone ...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
based on its weight... :nono:

lately there has been many of this kind of thread posted by newbies. i want to buy a 1.5ct, a 2ct ,a 3ct bahh,bahhh,bahhh w/o paying any attention to the diameter of the stone,if the diameter is off for its weight then you will know it is a poorly cut stone.the diameter is very important based on the weight of the stone.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
My pet peeve. :) Buy on dimensions!

2nd pet peeve - walking into a jeweler asking to see settings to fit a 5.5 mm square stone and having them ask "Huh? What carat weight?" in a snotty tone. Um ya, not purchasing anything here, you obviously don't know what you're talking about!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, DF. I couldn't agree more! I have seen hundreds of stone specs listed with the diameter measurements omitted!

Sparkle524

Shiny_Rock
I just looked up the diamond mm sizing chart and it says that a 2.75 ct diamond should have approximately a 9 mm spread. I recently purchased a 2.72 ct diamond with an 8.94 mm spread with a thin to slightly thick girdle. I guess this is okay? I know a little late to ask.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Sparkle524|1334600534|3172486 said:
I just looked up the diamond mm sizing chart and it says that a 2.75 ct diamond should have approximately a 9 mm spread. I recently purchased a 2.72 ct diamond with an 8.94 mm spread with a thin to slightly thick girdle. I guess this is okay? I know a little late to ask.

Being off by .06 of a millimeter is pretty darn close! I wouldn't worry about it. Edited to add: and your stone is just .03 lighter, so it's probably perfect.

Thanks for posting this DF, I agree wholeheartedly. And people need to realise that different cuts 'face up' with different measurements based on carat weight, so a princess and a round aren't going to look the same size even if they are the same carat weight.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But all that matters is if you love it, and it makes your heart go tinkly-winkly-pinkly-dinkly.
Buy the stone not the numbers.
Trust your eyes.
Trust your vendor.
All diamonds are equally beautiful, don't be such a meanie.
Cut is just all opinions, so ignore all that annoying education stuff.
Many people love the look of what you fancy people call light leakage.
Stop thinking and start feeling.

... Yes Sarcasm!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
In all honesty, diameter of the stone is what matters as it effects finger coverage - however when going by numbers alone, it's hard to find a carat weighted stone with the appropriate diameter with excellent cut. I don't understand that. When searching around the 1.5 - 2 ct range it's hard to justify paying for a carat weight that by numbers alone has a smaller diameter than what it theoretically should have. I'm finding many 1.5 ct diamonds with excellent cuts in the 7.1 - 7.3 diameter range, and 2ct diamonds with less than 8mm. The ones that fit the bill are sometimes pegged as "too shallow"

thoughts?

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1334603665|3172538 said:
In all honesty, diameter of the stone is what matters as it effects finger coverage - however when going by numbers alone, it's hard to find a carat weighted stone with the appropriate diameter with excellent cut. I don't understand that. When searching around the 1.5 - 2 ct range it's hard to justify paying for a carat weight that by numbers alone has a smaller diameter than what it theoretically should have. I'm finding many 1.5 ct diamonds with excellent cuts in the 7.1 - 7.3 diameter range, and 2ct diamonds with less than 8mm. The ones that fit the bill are sometimes pegged as "too shallow"

thoughts?

When we were looking for the stone for my ring, I almost never saw a stone listed that was in the diameter range that some sites that post average diameters for size said it "should be". For example, several sites said that a .75ct stone should measure about 5.9mm, and a 1ct stone should be 6.5, yet with most of the stones I looked at, I rarely found this to be the case. For example, many of the .75ct stones I was looking at were usually in the 5.8 range. The .8 stones didn't always hit 6mm, and very few 1ct stones faced up at 6.5. Most were in the 6.35-6.4ish range. So instead, what I did was check the measurments of stones against each other and against stones that looked to be very well cut, rather than relying on what a website said a stone should measure. I'm guessing there's some flubbing again of websites, because none of them have seemed to match the reality of what the stones are actually measuring, on average. But that's just my guess.

I know there's the "tolerance" amount to figure in, and maybe it's because we weren't really concerned about branded H/A, but many of the ones we looked at came in the "tolerance" area rather than the "suggested measurement", for lack of a better term. It's not an absolute, I'd say, just like carat weight shouldn't be your absolute either when picking out a stone. It's more of a balancing act and something that needs factoring in when you are considering a purchase.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1334601955|3172511 said:
Sparkle524|1334600534|3172486 said:

Being off by .06 of a millimeter is pretty darn close! I wouldn't worry about it. Edited to add: and your stone is just .03 lighter, so it's probably perfect.

Thanks for posting this DF, I agree wholeheartedly. And people need to realise that different cuts 'face up' with different measurements based on carat weight, so a princess and a round aren't going to look the same size even if they are the same carat weight.
that's the problem with most newbie diamond shoppers....
they walk into a jewelry store asking to see some 1ct,1.5ct,2ct,etc.. w/o knowing the approximate spread for a well cut stone. the odds are that the SA will be showing them stones based on its weight instead of cut quality.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1334602276|3172517 said:
But all that matters is if you love it, and it makes your heart go tinkly-winkly-pinkly-dinkly.
Trust your eyes.
Trust your vendor.

... Yes Sarcasm!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is noticing this Ken, DF, etc.. Not only on the dimensions, but when I also see diamonds being compared with ASET's all over the place and everyone saying its the same as one with Ideal light performance and a solid ASET, it makes me wonder what happened to this forum.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Rhino|1334677298|3173269 said:
kenny|1334602276|3172517 said:
Trust your eyes.
Trust your vendor.

... Yes Sarcasm!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is noticing this Ken, DF, etc.. Not only on the dimensions, but when I also see diamonds being compared with ASET's all over the place and everyone saying its the same as one with Ideal light performance and a solid ASET, it makes me wonder what happened to this forum.

Agree (with Kenny's sarcasm and Rhino's comment). And I would suggest that newbies looking for RBs should spend a fair amount of time reading archived threads (from 2009 and earlier) on ASET, IS, ideal cut, grading reports, etc., and compare it to the advice being given on this forum more recently.

maiell1

Rough_Rock
I am only new here but do I sense some arrogance :shock:

People are here to learn but yes educating yourself fully is important....

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be helpful to have a sticky at the top of this forum that says "New? Looking for a diamond? Read this first." with a link to threads that explain the basics: the HCA, the search function at the top of the page, what an idealscope and ASET are and why they are important, why EGL diamonds are cheaper, finger coverage, why dimensions are more important than carat weight, etc. Just one locked thread with one post, no replies. Something a bit different than the long multi-page helpful threads sticky that newbies probably don't have the patience to read. This is a standard on many bulletin boards on other topics, and I feel it would be extremely helpful here.

Honestly, I picked out my own diamond - hubby has no patience and I see the same qualities in many of the gentleman rashly posting here without reading first. Perhaps we can make it easier on them and less frustrating for long time posters to have them do a quick read on one thread first.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
webdiva|1334766764|3174298 said:
I think it would be helpful to have a sticky at the top of this forum that says "New? Looking for a diamond? Read this first." with a link to threads that explain the basics: the HCA, the search function at the top of the page, what an idealscope and ASET are and why they are important, why EGL diamonds are cheaper, finger coverage, why dimensions are more important than carat weight, etc. Just one locked thread with one post, no replies. Something a bit different than the long multi-page helpful threads sticky that newbies probably don't have the patience to read. This is a standard on many bulletin boards on other topics, and I feel it would be extremely helpful here.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Especially with regard to EGL diamonds. I think a sticky thread for newbies would be a great addition! The same questions are asked over and over here and it would be great to have one place to send people to get answers without folks having to attempt to write out things from scratch every time.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kindred|1334773807|3174386 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing! Especially with regard to EGL diamonds. I think a sticky thread for newbies would be a great addition! The same questions are asked over and over here and it would be great to have one place to send people to get answers without folks having to attempt to write out things from scratch every time.

this is a great idea. i'll start one and others can add.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Webdiva - if I had my way, I would want to pick my own stone too. Heck, I would want to pick the whole ring, perhaps even have one custom designed. But, alas, my boyfriend says that then he can't be chivalrous. I think many guys want to pick out a ring themselves because it's romantic or something. What ends up happening is they get all confused and frustrated and then everyone on the forum tells him to get the biggest diamond possible (within budget) and a simple solitaire setting. If only we lived in a perfect world where the ladies could pick their own rings and it not be considered unromantic or greedy (she picks, he pays or she whines and gets him to pay more) and then I wonder how many interesting and eclectic dabbles we'd see on here!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
mandasand|1334774002|3174392 said:
Webdiva - if I had my way, I would want to pick my own stone too. Heck, I would want to pick the whole ring, perhaps even have one custom designed. But, alas, my boyfriend says that then he can't be chivalrous. I think many guys want to pick out a ring themselves because it's romantic or something. What ends up happening is they get all confused and frustrated and then everyone on the forum tells him to get the biggest diamond possible (within budget) and a simple solitaire setting. If only we lived in a perfect world where the ladies could pick their own rings and it not be considered unromantic or greedy (she picks, he pays or she whines and gets him to pay more) and then I wonder how many interesting and eclectic dabbles we'd see on here!

We do live in that world! It's 2012! And the picking out a ring on his own is not traditional, it's a hollywood fairlytale made up. Presumably, we're two adults that made a conscious choice to spend the rest of our lives together, not a young girl waiting helplessly at home waiting to be swept up by a man who will take care of her...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/miss-manners-choose-your-own-engagement-ring-good-luck-with-that/2012/01/27/gIQAFlMw6Q_story.html

Awesome reply from "Miss Manners", who I don't always agree with!

"DEAR MISS MANNERS: Is it appropriate for the woman to pick out the style of engagement/wedding ring that she has to wear on her finger for the rest of her life? Or should the man pick it out without any hint?

The ring could be ugly or not suit her personality. It will save her the pain of having to wear an ugly ring and be secretly unhappy about it, right?

GENTLE READER: You make a sensible point -- one that hasn’t a chance of being implemented.

That is because of the modern invention of the Mandatory Surprise Proposal. It is now obligatory for a young gentleman in this situation to plan an elaborate scene in an exotic place, designed to shock and surprise a lady with whom he has probably been living and debating marriage for years, by falling to his knees, whipping out a diamond ring and blurting out a proposal. He is supposed to have a photographer hidden nearby to record her amazement.

But (Miss Manners hears you ask) isn’t this the old-fashioned way, charmingly revived?

Not exactly. True, it has been a staple of cartoons for many years. But as old-fashioned gentlemen tended to lack the intimate courtship opportunities of today, marriage proposals were not mere formalities, and the surprise was sometimes in the response. Unless he had a family ring to offer, a suitor would be foolhardy to invest in jewelry before being sure of obtaining the hand.
"

Good topic to add to the sticky I proposed!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1334773987|3174391 said:

I started writing one and realized most of the info is in the knowledge section.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
slg47|1334776282|3174446 said:
slg47|1334773987|3174391 said:

I started writing one and realized most of the info is in the knowledge section.

Haha! Maybe just doing it FAQ style, with a short explanation and link to the knowledge section?

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to add some topics to our imaginary FAQ sticky:

1. Suggestions for settings that "don't take away from the main stone". I hear this a lot of from guys, not really from women. Cuz when you spend that many thousands on a stone, you want it be center stage?

2. Remembering that your fiance will be wearing the ring, not you. "I don't like halos but my gf does.". Um, ya - she'll be wearing it. Go with what SHE wants. Does your fiance want to be surprised with a ring YOU like or wear the one she wants?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-question-is-for-the-ladies-out-there.174037/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/this-question-is-for-the-ladies-out-there.174037/[/URL]

3. Tiffany setting replica suggestions
www.pricescope.com/blog/tiffany-inspired-tiffany-setting-comparison

4. How much to budget for a ring - link to "What diamond to buy?" in the Knowledge section:
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/what-diamond-to-buy

5. How to evaluate a stone - what backup documentation to ask for on a diamond - ASET, etc

6. Why not to buy from "a friend of a friend" :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results