shape
carat
color
clarity

A Very Self-centered Thread (Please Bear With Me)-I Need Advice

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*looking up hirsute* :read:

Deb, my mother would absolutely adore you. She loved words. So much so she literally used to read the dictionary.
yikes2.gif
You love words too apparently (this is not the first nor second word I've had to look up in one of your posts). I used to, but my capabilities at recalling them has dwindled greatly. Hopefully yours doesn't, and I shall just live vicariously through you. ::)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, This is the place to talk about diamonds. Your thread is not self centered at all. If you don’t wear the jewelry you have and it has no sentimental value to you, sell it and get a ring that makes your heart sing. You have been through a lot the past few years. If looking at a beautiful diamond ring brings you joy, get the diamond ring. You certainly deserve it. I hope things get easier for you with your daughter.
Hugs, Callie

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is too short to be stuck with jewelry you're apathetic about and not get your paws on bling that makes your heart sing!!!!

Start selling pieces on LT and building that big bling bank! I'll live vicariously through you!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others--get what you love, and don't keep pieces that don't make you happy (unless they are sentimental or you aren't sure).

That's what I'm trying to do now--sell the pieces that I don't feel passionately about, and get a few pieces I LOVE.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope you get a lot of money on your sales to get the diamond you REALLY want!

FWIW I never miss the stuff I have sold in the past! Be sure and let friends and family know too. Over the years I have sold 1.5 ct marquise 1.5 princess and 1 ct round diamonds to immediate family members alone! So let them know you are parting with nice diamonds with certs.
With christmas and valentines day business REALLY picks up in sales for engagement rings. Selling over the mid November to mid Feb time is often much easier than other times of the year esp for diamonds under 2 carats there are always buyers looking!

I think it is better to have a piece you love than 1000 that are nice enough , but you don't stare at all the time.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all of the above! Be selective about what you sell, and, perhaps, take your time selling. Maybe sell a few pieces at a time, to keep track of everything, rather than being overwhelmed with the whole process. If these pieces hold no sentimental or special value to you, and they sit in a safe or jewelry box, what’s the point in keeping them?
I believe a new, larger ring will help to lift your spirits, and make your heart skip a beat, as it sounds like this is what you REALLY want.
Make yourself happy! Life’s too short!!
:kiss2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the big diamond if you don’t wear much. The only thing for me would be realizing how much I was losing on the price of the pieces I was selling. tHAT would be hard.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just been re-reading this thread and I really thank each and every one of you for such wise advice. Some of your advice sank in on the first go round and some of it took a second reading. You are all so wise! No one who commented did not give me real food for thought. Thank you so much for bending your minds to my problems!

Someone said I should try wearing a ring with a simulant of 3 carats to see how I felt about that size. (Several of you asked if I would actually wear a 3 carat ring!) I spent a lot of today looking at different simulants to see what i should try, because I thought that was a very good idea. I went from the cheapest (because this was not supposed to be a forever piece of jewelry) to more expensive pieces (because people who bought the lower-end pieces complained that they rattled in their settings or looked like glass to others). In the end I was looking at lab created moissanite in white gold for about $1600 and I thought, "This is crazy! I want $1600 to go towards a 3 carat diamond one day!" So I have to look for an inexpensive 3 carat ring that isn't too clanky with which to experiment.

I will e-mail you ds, if you really think you might like to buy my large red spinel ring. (I have two great red spinel rings, both of which have Pricescope threads, but I know which one you mean. You once wrote that if you were going to build a ring you would build it exactly the way I did mine, which is a huuuuge compliment coming from you!) I never wear it, whether or not I buy another diamond. So it is in pristine condition. I wore it once or twice for an hour or two! But no pressure. I am not buying anything now and it is very happy in my safe deposit box. :))

Deb/AGBF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF good idea all of this. Can you please link the threads for your spinel rings because I don't think I have ever seen any of your jewelry. Would love to see it!

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely don't spend 1,600 on a sim just to try out the size. You can get a very nice, high quality ChrisCZ for less than the cost of a cup of coffee. Add a nice prenotched silver setting, and you're still talking less than a Benjamin.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW Deb. The red spinel ring is beautiful! Are you sure you want to part with this ring???

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,
You are such a special person. I have always admired you. I always think it is better to have one thing you truly love than 100 you barely like. I wanted larger studs and am not in the position to have two sets of diamond studs. I successfully sold my smaller pair on LT but totally understand how daunting and stressful it feels. The funds I received softened the blow for my new studs. Go for it. Sell to PSers if that makes you feel more comfortable. You deserve your dream ring.

I'm sorry to hear things are stressful with your daughter. She is very lucky to have you.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...it's ordered. Now I feel as if I'll have to post photos of it in Show Me The Bling! Very exciting!

Deb :))
Or at least a pic here in this thread. ;)2

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may have already done this but if not- why not go buy a nice faux piece of what you are looking for and wear it daily. See if it delivers on what you hope it will and weigh it all out.

You might discover a renewed love for some of the pieces you have and if not, then go for it with no regrets and get that ring! Life is too short. Find something that makes your heart sing.

This is a great idea! Try before you sell so to speak. I’ve often be tempted to do the same BUT have regretted parting with some one-off gemstones that are difficult to replace.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK...it's ordered. Now I feel as if I'll have to post photos of it in Show Me The Bling! Very exciting!

Deb :))
woohoo.gif

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not gonna read the whole thread Deb because I'm sure everyone has a great opinion on what you should do, I say: SELL it all, do you need all that jewelry? (besides you could probably get a few bangles later :) ) I'd sell all my jewelry if I thought I could get a 3 carat (ACA type) stone for a ring, but I wouldn't even make the down payment with my stuff.. imagine, a 3 carater in a gorgeous setting, simple and elegant is the way I think of you and I would guess you would like a setting with maybe 2 good baguettes to let that (ACA??) stone shine, like blinding shine.

Do what you think is best Deb ...

kate

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness. If starting a thread like this makes one Farinata I'm afraid we're all doomed! ::)

Selling most certainly can be taxing in all manner of perspectives - it's time-consuming, it's emotionally draining, and it's often frustrating. But it's also... rewarding to see pieces go to homes where they'll be loved, and of course, it's net-zero 'guilt-free' funding for other projects.

You have many beautiful pieces. I would echo @OoohShiny's question of why, exactly, you aren't wearing them and enjoying them as you used to. Perhaps a perfect-for-you 3ct diamond would become a new staple?

The pieces you highlight would all be higher-ticket items - they'll most probably take longer to sell regardless of which medium you choose. Selling yourself is certainly most difficult and risky, but will likely yield significantly higher dollar income over consigning. If you decide to sell you know your PS friends would be happy to help in whatever ways we can!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, no judgement here!!

If you want help or suggestions on selling 24k gold send me an email through loupetroop. I know of people who sold 24k gold getting at least 70% of current market price.

I would only say before spending anything significant , try to be sure as you can that it will scratch that itch. I think a sim as a tester is a great idea.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the feeling. And I can't say much about the diamonds, but I would not sell the spinel. I have a feeling you might miss it.

To me, diamonds are about perfection, while colored stones are all about uniqueness.

While you can (seldom) upgrade a spinel to a better color, it is not the same as upgrading a diamond to a larger stone of similar color and optical performance. But that's just me, coming from the "CS" minority on this forum.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. sorry. I did not read through the whole string and did not understand that you were set on selling it and that you had two. And then of course I don't know much of people's circumstances.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not wearing these jewelry items, it makes perfect sense to sell. They're not doing anything sitting in the safe. But that spinal is gorgeous! I'd totally have to snap that up lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Deb, I read this post while on vacay and did not have time to reply. Have you come to any decisions about selling other jewellery to fund a large diamond purchase?

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results