shape
carat
color
clarity

A very light pastel blue and a Yellow sapphire

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello Sapphire Lovers -- I recently saw two fairly large sapphires online. One is a ~10ct very light pastel blue, which I kinda like but have no idea of the benchmark price. Is this color pretty undesirable?

light-blue-sapphire_1-png.831804
Light Blue Sapphire_2.PNG

The second one is a ~15ct yellow sapphire to be auctioned at Bonhams. I have no experience with yellow sapphire and honestly have never seen one. I'd appreciate if you can share your yellow sapphire ring in real life! Also, what would be the benchmark price for a yellow sapphire?

Yellow Sapphire Ring.PNG

Thank you!=)2

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For a data point on the yellow front, Pearlmans has a 16ct heated listed for $1500/ct and an unheated 16ct for $2500/ct.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to 100% agree with @musicloveranthony the light blue stone is just uninteresting. It is far too little blue to even be considered the palest of baby or sky blues, but it has too much violet color to be a nice gray sapphire as well. The cutting is also pretty bad.

@chroman 's estimate is spot on for a high retail price, but yellow has never been the most popular color for sapphire, so the actual selling price would be lower.

While this Bonham's sale is 8 years old, the yellow sapphire is nicer than the one pictured and it only sold for 875/CT.
1620505528282.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd want to see the light blue sapphire on something like a hand rather than just held up in tweezers. Light icy blue sapphires are imo stunning, and can be had for very cheap. But if it is mostly clear, that wouldn't be what you want.

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm going to 100% agree with @musicloveranthony the light blue stone is just uninteresting. It is far too little blue to even be considered the palest of baby or sky blues, but it has too much violet color to be a nice gray sapphire as well. The cutting is also pretty bad.

@chroman 's estimate is spot on for a high retail price, but yellow has never been the most popular color for sapphire, so the actual selling price would be lower.

While this Bonham's sale is 8 years old, the yellow sapphire is nicer than the one pictured and it only sold for 875/CT.
1620505528282.png

Yeah... just feel something is missing from a yellow sapphire....

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
Yeah... just feel something is missing from a yellow sapphire....

There science behind it! Blue is calming and relaxing. It reminds us of soaring in the open sky or sailing in the open ocean. Red is the color of love, lust, and passion. Yellow, on the other hand, makes us feel hungry and anxious and it reminds us of the mundane like mustard and McDonald's.

Adam95

Shiny_Rock
I'd want to see the light blue sapphire on something like a hand rather than just held up in tweezers. Light icy blue sapphires are imo stunning, and can be had for very cheap. But if it is mostly clear, that wouldn't be what you want.

Agreed, it's just unpleasant when the gray takes over. A good mix of gray and blue (violet) is decent, no gray and pure blue is extremely desirable, no blue and pure gray is surprisingly stunning, but very light blue with strong gray tones justice me wrong for some reason.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the blue color shift sapphire because I love pale blue gems other than aquamarine (too glassy for me). I’m not a fan of yellow sapphire because I don’t like golden gems.

However, my opinion is purely subjective and many people will prefer the yellow sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There science behind it! Blue is calming and relaxing. It reminds us of soaring in the open sky or sailing in the open ocean. Red is the color of love, lust, and passion. Yellow, on the other hand, makes us feel hungry and anxious and it reminds us of the mundane like mustard and McDonald's.

Yellow reminds me of other liquids, lol!

And it does not make me hungry!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the yellow if its a real bright sunshine buttercup yellow because its just so happy !

I like the idea of the light blue
But i only have experience of blur saphires that turn out too dark, not to light

Best of luck

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Yellow reminds me of other liquids, lol!

And it does not make me hungry!!

:lol:Literally came to this thread and thought the same thing about yellow! Also why yellow diamonds priced highly seem a little... funny (to me).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well golden yellow reminds me of certain liquids. I’m not adverse to greenish yellows.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results