shape
carat
color
clarity

A Traub Orange Blossom Tale

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow nice jewelry boxes, it's too bad that one is missing the ballerina. Will you sell it as is or fix it up first? I know I have seen vintage ballerinas on EBay but it would probably be more than you paid for the box!

Hey I wouldn't turn down that ring for $1. Sell it for $2 and you've doubled your money! I'm sure you can sell it for more than that!

I get the "what if" but I like to sleep in, DH likes to get out there early and I'm just like, let me have breakfast and coffee first lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will fix the box. I really like to do "rehab" on old stuff like that.
Black nail polish is great for retouching chips on black lacquer.
I have a big box with many colors of wood stain, tools, brushes, glue, etc., that I use to fix up my old treasures!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I feel guilty if I don't go out on Friday and Saturday. What am I missing out on if I don't go? Yes, obsessive I know. The old "what if?"
I found some old jewelry boxes, and a few rings.. I put my rings in them for the pic. I think the black lacquer box is missing her ballerina!
The close up ring is 14k and low quality tanzanite. The photo makes the stones look blue, but they are lilac color. No diamonds there, just bumps! An ugly ring for sure, but for $1.00, it was a deal! I will try to sell it.
IMG_20181007_173249184.jpg IMG_20181007_173537917.jpg IMG_20181009_203028494.jpg

You’ll turn a profit on that ring even if you sell it for scrap!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the story continues.....

I recently bought my holy grail ring which is very similar in style to a transitional I tried to buy earlier this year. Well I decided to have my recent acquisitions looked at by an appraiser I've used in the past. She told me that the diamond in the Traub ring was indeed transitional and about 1/3 carat F color VS1 clarity (and because it was set, color could come back higher). The HG ring also had a center 1/3 carat but it was more in the J range with SI2 clarity. The fact that they were almost the exact same size (4.3mm x 2.57 and 4.29mm x 2.61) meant I could swap the diamond out and put the transitional in my HG ring making it the absolute perfect (for me) ring. Mind you the setting is one where the main diamond is set into an illusion head with four small diamonds nestled underneath on each side, the chances of finding a diamond of the same size just by happenstance is so slim it's almost mind blowing.

I should have the ring back Tuesday, the prongs holding the main diamond will be completely replaced and the prongs on the side diamonds on the shank will be retipped and sizing heads put it to keep it from spinning.

Goes to show you sometimes you get what you wish for, just not all at the same time!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't you just love it when a plan you didn't even have, all falls into place? This was meant to be and i can't wait to see the final ring.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's great that things worked out so well @StephanieLynn! I can't wait to see it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks @June and @natasha-cupcake definite karma at play there, it will be interesting to see the difference between the two diamonds.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant wait to see it!
I'm happy that you found such a great diamond for such a low price.
Now what will you do with the diamond from the HG ring?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I'm thinking I might have it set into a pendant or something down the road, not anytime soon since I'm actually trying to thin my hoard a bit. Originally I was going to set it and gift it to my SIL but I gave her a diamond necklace already last year and she is only 25 so that might be a bit much since she's not a huge jewelry person you know?

I was astonished at what the appraiser said about the transitional, she gave it a wholesale value of $380 so that's when I knew I had to do something with it :twisted2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the best thing ever!
Finding treasure for a pittance!
It's what keeps me going to the estate and yard sales.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know you are very dedicated going out every weekend like that. I just can't get myself out of bed that early to drag two kids in and out of the car all morning, just thinking about it gives me the shivers :errrr:

Since we are on the subject did you find anything good out in the wild this weekend?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I am about to post them in
your other thread " haul for today"
See you over there!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First the disclaimer, my hands are super dry so don't mind the dry skin.

Also by the time I was able to snap some pics there was very little sun.

It's amazing the difference switching the diamonds made, it actually makes it look bigger because everything is super white and blends together. There is even a little interesting tidbit about the jeweler who did the work, she actually contributed to an awards show swag bag last year with her line of jewelry designed to honor a rainbow bridge pet and she donates 40% of the profits to local animal charities. Neat right?

What do you guys think about the band with it? I'm up in the air about whether I love them together or not although I do love the band (it is 14Kt yellow and palladium).

I'll get some more pics when the sun is up again but at least for me this is a very happy ending.

IMG_0617.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0620.JPG IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0624.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I snapped this in the livingroom with just the sun coming in through the window, no light on in the room at all.

IMG_0629.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot that I had a platinum half eternity. Still up in the air about the other band but this works together pretty well.

IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring, and what a backstory. I like it with that platinum half-eternity :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully @StephanieLynn! Love it :love: I really like it with the platinum band. What a pretty set, enjoy it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! I prefer the eternity band.
The more diamonds, the better!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @elizabethess @junebug17 and @stracci2000 for weighing in on the band!

I'm still kind of dumbfounded how this all worked out, really kind of crazy how all the pieces fit together so well!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sun came out for a little bit so I took a few pictures outside. The first and last one is with the ring facing the sun, loving the purple hues in the last one.

Okay I'm done now I swear! Lol!

IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0672.JPG IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0674.JPG IMG_0675.JPG

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So pretty!! I love the eternity band with the ring! Looks spectacular together. :love: :love:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @natasha-cupcake!

Did you ever decide what to do with your OEC that you bought or are you still thinking it over?

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Procrastination is my middle name! I haven't set my OEC yet, but I'll be doing so soon. I've spent some money setting my pad sapphire, which should be done within a few weeks. The OEC is up next...

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@natasha-cupcake, so exciting! Can't wait to see pictures of your completed projects.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This is a brilliant happy ending and I’m thrilled for you! It looks amazing on its own and with the other bands too. Congratulations!:appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results