shape
carat
color
clarity

A Specific Cushion Cut Question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2008 1:14:35 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 5/26/2008 8:27:48 AM
Author: corkstone

I see the loose diamond in the next week, other than the white paper test, what is a good way to see how brilliant a cushion cut is?

Just see as many stones as possible and compare, compare, compare. That is really the best thing you can do with fancy stones.

Or you can do what my FI did and just call Mark at ERD, choose the bigger stone, and call it a day. LOL!
Seriously, my FI put no thought into it, not that I''m complaining. I trust Mark''s judgement more than my FI''s when it comes to diamonds.
3.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What white paper test?
33.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2008 12:31:51 AM
Author: redrose229
I did a search on the GOG site and didn''t pull anything up there BUT that means nothing considering Jonathan can get you the most beautiful diamond you have ever seen, and you don''t even have to see it for yourself first! The thing that I loved about Jonathan the most is probably the fact that he wasn''t trying to sell me a diamond, he was doing everything in his power to find me THE diamodn that I would love. I only saw it in vidoes, oh that''s anotehr GREAT thing! If you can''t decide between 2 cushions that you like from GOG jonathan will make a video comparing them in different lighting, etc. he''s wonderful! I found this cushion on the site ( a little over your budget, but the good news is that you can def. get something in the H SI1 VS2 range in a carat for 5 grand) Here is one that is a little over budget but gives you an idea!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=3683&shape=2048&ctMin=.8&ctMax=1.3&clarity=224&color=56&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1
Good find, RR.

My cushion is a 1.08 I VS2 and it was around 4600, for comparison.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/12/2008 9:36:24 AM

Date: 6/12/2008 12:26:58 AM
Author: Rhino

Date: 6/11/2008 3:21:14 PM
Author: JulieN
Jon, is that or is that not an example of a fisheye? I have yet to really see a good picture of a stone with one.
Actually the photo does a good job of blending the reflection of the girdle under the table but yes, it is a good example of a fish eye. A careful look (good observation btw) does reveal a pretty notable reflection of the girdle under the table. It plainly appears to be a bruted girdle too.
Thanks Jon. I can actually see it now, but to the plain eye I didn''t see it in the store. It WILL bug me now...

What is a ''bruted'' girdle, by the way? That is a term I have never heard before.

My problem is two-fold...

1) There are no diamond dealers/suppliers here in Ottawa - so really it''s pick without seeing.
2) None of the jewelers that I have contacted (5 in total) will create a setting with a diamond purchased elsewhere - one said they would, but would not insure the diamond during the setting process.

This somewhat leaves me at the mercy of the jeweler - and yes, I know I am paying a premuim for buying the diamond and setting at a local place.
Hi cork,

Girdles are either bruted or facetd. Bruted girdles have what appears to be a smooth frosted finish and faceted means that the girdle is faceted ... similarly to how the rest of the diamond is faceted. Neither is better than the other and the finest and rarest diamonds we see with both types of girdles. In fish eye type diamonds however I would have a preference for a faceted girdle over a bruted since the bruted shows up more obvious as a distinct white patchy ring under the table. This is what Julie observed in the photograph you posted. I just snapped off a shot of both under the microcope to show you what they look like below. Hope that helps.

Regards,

brutedfacetedgirdle.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/12/2008 12:31:24 PM
Rhino. Considering my inability to view multiple stones at one time, what is my best bet to obtaining a diamond with those chunky qualities?

Also, do you think I should be able to get a diamond between .90-.99 with those nice qualities at a price under 5000?
Yes cork I think so. The challenge however is finding it. Each of the vendors here have their own methods for selecting cushions which vary from one to the other but I will not back a diamond with lifetime policies if it isn''t a diamond that exhibits the best optics within that given shape, which I can demostrate. Because of how particular I am the ones I try to find are not the easiet but with time, all things are possible.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are great pictures Rhino. I'd add that there are two more girdle finishes out and about (for the record) although I don't know how commonly they appear on cushions.

A polished girdle is see-through or clear with no facets. One situation where this is desirable is when the diamond is a fish-eye; polishing will reduce the effect of the girdle's reflection in the table (obviously not applicable to cushions).

Some modern girdling machines are putting on a fine texture. I call this "finely finished." Not faceted, not completely polished, nor bruted. They're in a cozy place somewhere in-between.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/13/2008 2:03:05 PM
Author: John Pollard
Those are great pictures Rhino. I''d add that there are two more girdle finishes out and about (for the record) although I don''t know how commonly they appear on cushions.

A polished girdle is see-through or clear with no facets. One situation where this is desirable is when the diamond is a fish-eye; polishing will reduce the effect of the girdle''s reflection in the table (obviously not applicable to cushions).

Some modern girdling machines are putting on a fine texture. I call this ''finely finished.'' Not faceted, not completely polished, nor bruted. They''re in a cozy place somewhere in-between.
Hey! Thanks man!
1.gif

And yep ... good input although we don''t see the latter 2 as frequently as the original. If I run into I''ll have to make a mental note to photo.
21.gif
Hope this finds you well.

corkstone

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for putting in so much time in this thread - I''ve become somewhat well versed in something that only a few weeks ago I knew literally NOTHING about.

Onto my stone...

My jeweler immediately replied to my e-mail in dismay. We have established a great relationship so far - which is important to me. I understand that I am paying a premium for going to one of the larger jewelers in the city, but it was important to me for my gf/fiance/wife to be able to actually go into a place for the small things like adjustments, polishes, ect.

She asked me to come in again as soon as I could and that I did. I spent a good 45 minutes looking at the diamond under different lights and microscopes, and even took it outside to see it under the sunlight. After this review, I must admit that the picture is a poor indicator of the diamonds quality. It undoubtedly it has that crushed ice/watery look which is less popular than some of the better cut cushions that Jon can provide, but it absolutely does sparkle. I found very few dead parts to the diamond except for when I looked at it from a severe angle and only saw the small ''fish eye'' after giving it a really hard look.

My dad warned me of "paralysis by analysis" - and in essence he is correct. I am already heavily invested both time and money (though I could return the stone - though I have no ability to see the next stone before purchasing it), and the overall final product will look tremendous without needing to take a bigger hit to the pocket book. I am now content with my decision on a whole.

If I was to do everything over again I would likely made the smart(er) decision and gone through one of the websites that are so often discussed on this board - GOG and their penchant for cushions being the most appealing.

So, thanks again and I''ll update this thread in the coming weeks with a finished product!

corkstone

Rough_Rock
Oh, and by the way - the next time I make a diamond purchase I am coming to you Jon. Either that or I''m taking a trip to a city with a major supply of stones...

Ottawa is simply too small and like I said, no dealer in the city had more than 2 or 3 cushions in stock. Brutal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results