shape
carat
color
clarity

A Sleek and Sunny Reset for my 2.85 ct F/VS2 Engagement Emerald Cut

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
A few years ago I reset my 2.85 ct emerald cut for the first time. The original setting was a chunky, hand-forged platinum one and I wanted something more airy and thin. While I was doing research, I saw this vintage Boucheron ring on 1stdibs. I just loved the contrast of the 18 kt yellow gold and the E color emerald cut. However, at that time, I only had one primary ring so I decided to go with platinum.

IMG_6069.jpg

Then, about a year and a half ago, I discovered PS and fell in love with old cuts. I found my OEC last year and my OEC ring became my primary one. Meanwhile, my beloved engagement stone languished in my jewelry box. After I finished my mom's reset, a lightbulb went off for me. I decided that I really needed to reset my emerald cut. I wanted a design that was completely different from my OEC's platinum Deco setting.

I scoured the internet for ideas and found elements of designs I liked. I knew I wanted to increase the finger coverage of the 9.14 x 7.5 mm stone. One particular PS ring kept coming to mind-Mrs B 's exquisite ring Boadicea (now Matata's Mrs. B). That ring is one my favorites on PS and totally inspired this setting. I also adore all of Brent Neale's designs.

I knew I wanted traps as side stones and was lucky to find the perfect .62 ct E/F color pair from Parks Fine Group. But I still had a specific design challenge-the gallery. Many of the bezeled step cut settings I have seen have substantial, solid galleries. I just wasn't sure how the yellow gold would effect the colorless step cuts. I landed on an open gallery just to be on the safe side. Initially Daniel M came up with a curved gallery for me, but it just didn't feel right. The curved lines of the gallery didn't flow with the rectilineal lines of the stones. I had him straighten the lines and slightly angle up the traps and voile' the design was perfect for me. Here's the final result:

5358BA39-F3A9-4E7A-8D00-3E58E7803B15.JPG

I don't have a great pic of the gallery, but it's visible in this video:

It's a bonus that this ring stacks so well.

IMG_5993.jpg

I was really nervous to bezel my colorless step cut in 18 kt yellow gold, but I am really enjoying my engagement stone in a whole new way :)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I love the way it looks in the yellow gold and with a colorless diamond it provides such an amazing contrast! What a beautiful stack as well! Wear it with blingy joy!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love the way it looks in the yellow gold and with a colorless diamond it provides such an amazing contrast! What a beautiful stack as well! Wear it with blingy joy!

Thanks @Mreader. And I appreciate all your virtual handholding!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s just beautiful! I love emerald cuts and bezel settings! ❤️

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
The yellow gold doesn’t tint the diamond at all! You made a great call by changing the curvy line. The setting and the side stones look perfect with your icy emerald cut!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The yellow gold doesn’t tint the diamond at all! You made a great call by changing the curvy line. The setting and the side stones look perfect with your icy emerald cut!

Thank you @Muluver-it was a little nerve wracking, but I’m so happy it worked out!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the contrast between your icy white diamond and the warm yellow gold. Sheer perfection!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Holy crap that is an incredible ring! I didn’t think I was a huge fan of step cuts but whoooooo this one calls to me! Lovely and I hope it gets more time on your hand!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love bezel settings, and this one is just incredible!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Those traps are the perfect proportion not to make the whole ring into a hexagon. Super pretty.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! This is just gorgeous @lulu_ma!! :kiss2: And it looks amazing on your hand. Congrats on this stunner!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE yellow gold and colorless diamonds! The impact of the combination is just breathtaking.

Congratulations on your wonderful new ring - and - wow re the finger coverage!

And glad I could be of help. :))

Wear in happiness and good health always.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I love love love the yellow gold. I think I want a step cut now lol.

Love all your design elements and keeping it sleek. Such a contrast to your oec. I hope this baby gets loved more in her new dress!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say, LOVE the yg!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So gorgeous, lulu_ma! Wear it in the best of health!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is uh-mazing!!! But you know we need more photos!! :mrgreen:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely emerald ring!!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love the contrast between your icy white diamond and the warm yellow gold. Sheer perfection!
Thanks so much @Diamond Girl 21! This is my first bezel and my first 18 kt yellow gold ring so I was really nervous. But I love how she turned out.

Holy crap that is an incredible ring! I didn’t think I was a huge fan of step cuts but whoooooo this one calls to me! Lovely and I hope it gets more time on your hand!
@sweetpea&babycorn wow! I take that as a high compliment-thanks! I hope you are enjoying your amazing new ring :D

I love bezel settings, and this one is just incredible!

Thanks @Garnetgirl. This my first true bezel ring and I love how there are no prongs to worry about!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Those traps are the perfect proportion not to make the whole ring into a hexagon. Super pretty.
Thank you @oncrutchesrightnow-the funny thing is that the traps looks so tiny when I first got them. The bezel set really makes them pop.

Wow!! This is just gorgeous @lulu_ma!! :kiss2: And it looks amazing on your hand. Congrats on this stunner!
@junebug17 thanks for your kind words! I did this reset on a tight budget. I didn't want to spend a lot bc I had just reset this stone 4 years ago. I couldn't be happier with the result.

Beautiful! I'm a sucker for yellow gold & I love how sleek & clean this looks!

Thanks @Ally T . This style is the polar opposite of my OEC setting, but I love it. It's nice to have yellow gold ring in my rotation:)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE yellow gold and colorless diamonds! The impact of the combination is just breathtaking.

Congratulations on your wonderful new ring - and - wow re the finger coverage!

And glad I could be of help. :))

Wear in happiness and good health always.

Thank you so much @mrs-b ! Your entire collection inspirational-your really have a masterful eye.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The two settings couldn't be more different than night and day. But they are the same width now!

IMG_6646.jpg

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Step cuts were my first love before finding old cuts too! (And I am actually back to a step cut myself right now - ha!) The new design is perfect for this beauty. The lines are perfect, and a great contrast to your old cut!

fascinatedbyfacets

Rough_Rock
I’ve been daydreaming of an emerald cut engagement ring for 34 years! And this modern rendition is spectacular! Saw it over on Instagram. New to diamonds and collecting. Can’t wait to learn all the best names to work with!

I love both these rings!! So different from each other but so delicious!!

I’ve been contemplating buying myself an EC ring (daily wear, anything except for a solitaire as I don’t want it to look engagement-y but I also don’t want to wait for a man to buy myself a ring lol) and I just want to say upfront I am not a fan of three stone rings OR bezel rings.

And I yet have saved this ring of yours to my inspo folder anyway because it is gorgeous.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the sleek, architectural feel of the whole look! This ring projects confidence, power, and sophistication. Bravo!! :clap:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The two settings couldn't be more different than night and day. But they are the same width now!

IMG_6646.jpg

They look good together in a deco-vibe but they can each blend in with different styles when worn separately. Nice strategic wardrobe building.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love love love the yellow gold. I think I want a step cut now lol.

Love all your design elements and keeping it sleek. Such a contrast to your oec. I hope this baby gets loved more in her new dress!
Oh you know she is @maryjane04 ! Thanks for all the feedback-love my jewelry friends <3

Forgot to say, LOVE the yg!
Thank you @junebug17 !

So gorgeous, lulu_ma! Wear it in the best of health!

@Kim N thank you for your kind words!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results