shape
carat
color
clarity

A shocking twist! Fanboy goes with Leon . . . and a halo!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, that's what it says; there's no typo. Despite all the naysayers who pegged me for a Taffin-devotee, I decided to go with Leon Mege instead. I also decided to switch the design a little bit--well a lot actually.

Ultimately, it came down to the fact that Leon could actually spend more time discussing all the technical details with me and actually seemed happy to meet someone as picky as himself. I spent more than 2 hours talking to him today (during my 1 hour lunch break). Every time I mentioned some specific design request (pave under the halo, making sure the stems meet the halo seemlessly, no tapering of the band, the thickness of the airline, etc.) he would perk up and get excited. At any rate, it felt really good being able to specify so many things in such detail and have someone not only willing to comply, but happy to do so.

We discussed the options available, and almost out of nowhere, we came up with the idea to do a halo. I was a bit skeptical of doing a halo on an asscher before, but after seeing some photos here and on Leon's website, I started to see the benefits. The biggest benefit to me is that the halo very clearly delineates the octagonal shape of the stone. The side profile of the halo rings is also much more elegant to me than the prong settings. Anyway, 10 minutes into discussing it, Leo sat back and said: "This stone really calls for a halo; I think that's what we should do." I agreed and we spent the rest of the time batting different ideas back and forth. Ultimately, the ring is nothing revolutionary. Hopefully it will just exceptionally well-executed, which is what I care about most.

Nonetheless, according to Leon, he's never done a ring quite like this.

What happened to Taffin? Nothing really. I guess I went into meet Leon today to see if I could get a better feel for things. His enthusiasm really won me over; I felt like he really wanted to make this a special ring and understood how meticulous I am. Having gone through this last consultation, much of Taffin's advantages were kind of nullified since what I was really looking for was personal, highly detail-oriented service. Also, of course, the price is much better, making a nice allowance for wedding bands and other such expenditures.

So, a halo. Who would have thunk it? Hate it? Love it?

Thank you everyone for all your patience, interest, and advice. Believe it or not, the entire process was extremely helpful to me.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it''s going to be a stunning ring. All the pictures of Leon''s work I''ve seen have been fantastic, and as a very detail-oriented person I got excited just reading about somebody getting excited about all your specifications. Haha...yeah, I''m a dork. Best of luck with the ring and your proposal, and I can''t wait to see the hand shots!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad that the two of you clicked really well. A halo on an RA would be awesome. When do you anticipate this being completed?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:02:51 PM
Author:fanboy
Hate it ... Love it?

Love it! I think a halo is a great idea -- to flatter & highlight the stone, really show it off to it''s best possible advantage.

And whoddathunk it -- turns out Leon *is* bespoke! Or at least bespokeISH.
2.gif

It''s obvious that your stone has inspired him. And he works with some doozies! I''m sure he''ll handcraft something that will take your/her breath away.

Whew. Relieved?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see the finished ring - his work is always worth the wait.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
congratulations!! i can''t wait to hear more about the process and of course the final piece. it''s going to be stunning. bottom line, i think it''s wonderful you went with someone whom you felt a connection and easy converstation. it''s very important to have a great relationship with the one who is designing/making your ring.
36.gif

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Chrono: The ring should be complete by the beginning of August--hopefully!

Deco: I''m very relieved. We spent maybe half-an-hour debating the space between the double claws. It''s honestly nice to just have everything done with.

Anyone have an idea how big this thing will look at the end?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
shocking twist no doubt
23.gif
seriously though, i think going with Leon is a wonderful plan and between the two of you I have a feeling your ring is going to live up to every bespoke expection you have. I think halo's are wonderful on asschers too. When can we expect pictures of this soon to be masterpiece??

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:14:22 PM
Author: mrssalvo
We can we expect pictures of this soon to be masterpiece??
Sure, I figure after I pop the question, I''ll put up some photos here and on my blog. It''s the least I can do. Although, like I said, it''s nothing revolutionary. It won''t look much different--if at all--from the other halo, bright-cut pave asscher-cut rings by Leon that people have posted here.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:14:14 PM
Author: fanboy
Anyone have an idea how big this thing will look at the end?
Depends on the size of the stones in the halo & the width of the airline ... but I would guess that it will give the visual *impression* of a 3-3.5 carat asscher. Halos with airlines dramtically up the "bling factor" ... yet, they''re actually quite classic - especially in a deco era stone like Asschers.

Milgrain or no?? Just curious -- either way will be lovely!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:17:12 PM
Date: 6/25/2007 4:14:22 PM

Author: mrssalvo

We can we expect pictures of this soon to be masterpiece??

Sure, I figure after I pop the question, I''ll put up some photos here and on my blog. It''s the least I can do. Although, like I said, it''s nothing revolutionary. It won''t look much different--if at all--from the other halo, bright-cut pave asscher-cut rings by Leon that people have posted here.

oh believe me, we''re happy to look at each and every Leon that comes our way..yours/hers will be no exception
1.gif

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:22:17 PM
Author: decodelighted

Nope, no milgrain. I like the way the halo accentuates the shape of the stone, but didn''t want to go antique or make it a period piece. However, if the bright lines are too bright, milgrain may be an option worth considering toward the end of production.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/25/2007 4:24:56 PM

Date: 6/25/2007 4:22:17 PM
Author: decodelighted

Nope, no milgrain. I like the way the halo accentuates the shape of the stone, but didn''t want to go antique or make it a period piece. However, if the bright lines are too bright, milgrain may be an option worth considering toward the end of production.
What would be your thought in regards to a halo incorporating step-cut Baguettes (calibre-cut...)?

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Well I know my girlfriend has a thing against baguettes. And marquis diamonds. And ovals. Basically, she doesn''t like long cuts. I have no idea why. Also, I prefer the glitter of the little round brilliants over the more glassy, crystalline look of the baguettes.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/25/2007 4:32:56 PM
Well I know my girlfriend has a thing against baguettes. And marquis diamonds. And ovals. Basically, she doesn''t like long cuts. I have no idea why. Also, I prefer the glitter of the little round brilliants over the more glassy, crystalline look of the baguettes.
Well..., that''s all that matters!

Good Luck!

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:36:15 PM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 6/25/2007 4:32:56 PM
Well..., that''s all that matters!
Oh shoot . . . I forgot she doesn''t like halos or pave. j/k.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!! That is fantastic and we can''t wait to see how it turns out.

BUT, and not to be a pain, but you do know that she likes halos right? Some women have very strong feelings about them one way or another...

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
She doesn''t seem to have a strong feeling one way or another; I think it matters most to her whether the design complements the stone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you had a great meeting with Leon. I can''t wait to see the ring once it''s completed. It will be spectacular I''m sure.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have made a terrific choice! I don''t believe I have seen a Leon Mege ring yet that I wouldn''t love to have! I look forward to seeing the finished ring!

nala2000

Rough_Rock
SO happy that you had a great experience....I can''t wait to see the final product. I''m always excited to see custom made rings!!! We''ll be waiting with high anticipation!

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for alll the enthusiasm, everyone. I can''t wait until August; I hope this knocks my gf''s socks off.

Unfortunately, the more elaborate design comes with a more elaborate price . . .

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Schucks-I was kinda rooting for MM myself--j/k, he wasn''t even in contention
2.gif
3.gif

I can''t wait to see this beauty--no doubt it wil elicit the same thunderous applause as did Pokey......

cheers--Sharon

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the final decision!! It will be breath-taking, I am sure. Can''t wait for pictures!

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 5:24:44 PM
Author: canuk-gal

I can''t wait to see this beauty--no doubt it wil elicit the same thunderous applause as did Pokey......
Nah, Pokey''s ring is much more innovative than this one. The ring I settled on is pretty conventional in design. I just tweaked a few things to make sure they''re the way I wanted them, even if they may have come out that way anyway. I wouldn''t expect anything awe-inspiring--pretty, hopefully, but not awe-inspiring.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your decision, fanboy. You will not be disappointed.

Best,
Jeff

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it sounds like it will be a beautiful ring! i followed your other thread, but not having seen either a leon or a taffin in person, could not comment to your question. but since i am writing now, i would just like to add that i found it very romantic that you wanted to completely surprise her, and that''s how you two enjoy gift-giving. as you said, there is no right or wrong way, just what is right for each individual couple, and i am personally one to LOVE a good surprise!! i''m sure she''ll be blown away. enjoy the process, and i''ll be one more lookin'' for the pics.....

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE shocking plot twists
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
and I think that asscher is gonna look like a... well, like an ANGEL with that HALO!
12.gif
12.gif
12.gif

It''s going to be gorgeous; I cannot wait to see pictures! And LOTS OF THEM, Buster!!!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha...love the title of this thread. I''m glad you made up your mind and I think a halo is going to be beautiful! I seriously love haloed asschers. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

Pinky swear you''ll come back with pictures?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2007 4:11:22 PM
Author: Chrono
I''m glad that the two of you clicked really well. A halo on an RA would be awesome. When do you anticipate this being completed?
hehehe psers are sooooo greedy ;-) :D

congrats fanbooy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results