shape
carat
color
clarity

A sentimental pinky ring inspired by a post I made 2 years ago!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how much this was as it’s already sold but emerald and sapphire are my kids’ birthstones and I love antique pears.

B1A20A01-1C42-4B5F-A11E-A6E4D32C193F.jpeg

I made the above post in April of ‘22 under the “The ‘it’s so ME’ antique dream piece thread.” Ever since then, I have kept that ring in the back of my mind as an inspo for a sentimental piece to represent my kids. But the cost of sourcing antique pear diamonds that size would be quite exorbitant, even if I could find nice matching antique pears in the first place! I just didn’t think this ring was all that realistic or achievable. I figured it would remain at the bottom of my wishlist for many, many years. Then in the last year or so, I saw the substantial, blingy pinky rings that @Pomelo and @springsparkle obtained, and a blingy pinky ring also went on the ever growing wishlist.

When I started thinking about a substantial pinky ring design, I thought that a toi et moi style would be perfect for the finger coverage. Then it hit me like a lightning! Why not combine my 2 wishlist items into one ring! I wouldn’t need the stones to be all that big for a pinky ring and it would be much easier to find 2 matching OECs than pears. I had a pretty good idea of how the ring would look with 2 round stones as I also had this ring in my inspo folder from years ago.
IMG_1239.jpeg

I have a .5ct AVR in a bezel pendant so I placed that on my pinky to gauge the size of the stones I would need. The size with the bezel looked to be perfect so I determined that I wanted around .75 ct per stone as these stones would be in prongs and not bezels. With that in mind, I kept my eye out for any nicely matched, eye clean OECs in the I/J color range that would pop up on line and on IG.

Then at the end of November last year, Diana from sincityfinds posted what I thought were the perfect pair for the ring. They were well matched (they had been taken out of an antique ring, so already matched!), estimated to be H/I VS2 or better. They were 5.7mm each at .77 ct and .79 ct. I had seen her bench do some great work so I asked her if her bench would be able to make the setting as well in 18K YG with Platinum prongs. She got a quote from her bench and I felt that it was quite reasonable for calibre cut gemstones and went ahead with the project.

I just received the ring today and it is just so cute yet blingy! It’s exactly what I had envisioned. I sized it to fit my right hand pinky (3.25 due to the knuckle) so I can wear it on both hands.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8855.jpeg
IMG_8864.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg
The stone on top is slightly more bubbly and the stone on the bottom is more transitional but I can’t tell the difference on the hand. I think overall, with the similar crown height, culet size and table size, these are pretty well matched antique stones and I am very happy with the result. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the pop of colour! What a fun way to have something sentimental that reminds you of your kids! Enjoy your pinky ring and I can't wait to see more photos of it!

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8855.jpeg
IMG_8864.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg
The stone on top is slightly more bubbly and the stone on the bottom is more transitional but I can’t tell the difference on the hand. I think overall, with the similar crown height, culet size and table size, these are pretty well matched antique stones and I am very happy with the result. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Nice Pinky ring! Is the other ring a 5 stone? If so, is there a thread on it? I would love to see the profile if you wouldn't mind sharing more pictures. :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the pop of colour! What a fun way to have something sentimental that reminds you of your kids! Enjoy your pinky ring and I can't wait to see more photos of it!

Thank you! Now I just need to get a stand alone sapphire ring since I got an emerald ring for the younger one :lol:

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Nice Pinky ring! Is the other ring a 5 stone? If so, is there a thread on it? I would love to see the profile if you wouldn't mind sharing more pictures. :)

Yes, that’s a 5 stone! I have a thread on it with a couple of pics of the profile. But honestly, I don’t love the prongs or the baskets on this ring at all. I would reset into something like CvB’s Legacy except for the fact that I don’t have the heart to dismantle a true antique ring unless absolutely necessary. I did get the prongs tightened the fixed up somewhat because the ring has clearly been worked on quite haphazardly over the last 100 years (I assume there were several temporary fixes).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously lovely! The emeralds & sapphires are a nice & unique touch!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! Now I just need to get a stand alone sapphire ring since I got an emerald ring for the younger one :lol:

Hahaha the list never ends but I love it. I have been toying of the idea of coloured accent stones in a main ring finger ring but scared I'd get bored of it. I love that you used the coloured stones in a pinky ring which is much more acceptable hahaha. I need to find somewhere I can put coloured stones because I wouldn't wear a pinky ring hahaha.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I love a moi et toi! Forgot to say that earlier cuz it's just so pretty!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love::love::love:It's perfectly proportional and yes, it's a beautiful color combination as well.

It's possible that I'm even more jealous.
Yes, yes it is.

And I'm not bitter at all, you damned style maven.

It's the most lovely tribute to your family.
Well done, you.

Again

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooooooo!

I love a moi et toi! Forgot to say that earlier cuz it's just so pretty!
Thank you! I have always wanted a toi et moi so I’m very happy to have one!

Seriously lovely! The emeralds & sapphires are a nice & unique touch!
Thank you! I think this is just a dangerous slippery slope into more emerald and sapphires :lol:

:love::love::love:It's perfectly proportional and yes, it's a beautiful color combination as well.

It's possible that I'm even more jealous.
Yes, yes it is.

And I'm not bitter at all, you damned style maven.

It's the most lovely tribute to your family.
Well done, you.

Again

LOL thank you so so much. PS has opened my eyes to colored gemstones and they are very dangerous grounds!!!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous and the colors match so well! I have a Feb one (amethyst) and a July one (ruby) and I wish I were able to pull something together.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simply lovely. I agree with your observation that one of the stones might have a more transitional appearance than the other. Apparently the adoption of new techniques for diamond cutting was not a fast or uniform process, as different cutting houses were faster or slower to adopt new techniques. So maybe they were cut around the same time by different cutting houses! As you said, everything else about them is so similar they are an excellent pairing! I would love to have seen the ring they came out of, just to get a sense of the era. Regardless, your new mounting is lovely and its very special that these "sibling" stones get to stay together in this new iteration of their "home"!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous and the colors match so well! I have a Feb one (amethyst) and a July one (ruby) and I wish I were able to pull something together.
Thank you! I was thinking a band with alternating gemstones or a halo with alternating gemstones as a couple of other ideas!

Simply lovely. I agree with your observation that one of the stones might have a more transitional appearance than the other. Apparently the adoption of new techniques for diamond cutting was not a fast or uniform process, as different cutting houses were faster or slower to adopt new techniques. So maybe they were cut around the same time by different cutting houses! As you said, everything else about them is so similar they are an excellent pairing! I would love to have seen the ring they came out of, just to get a sense of the era. Regardless, your new mounting is lovely and its very special that these "sibling" stones get to stay together in this new iteration of their "home"!
I never got to see the original ring but that would have been lovely! I assume it was in bad shape for Diana to have taken it out of the setting.

So beautiful! And clever!
Thank you! ❤️

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha the list never ends but I love it. I have been toying of the idea of coloured accent stones in a main ring finger ring but scared I'd get bored of it. I love that you used the coloured stones in a pinky ring which is much more acceptable hahaha. I need to find somewhere I can put coloured stones because I wouldn't wear a pinky ring hahaha.

I was thinking a three stone with gemstones as accent stones too but I think I would also get bored with it! If my upgrade ended up being a loose stone, I was thinking maybe a solitaire with a couple of side stone wraps that DK does. I think colored gemstones for a pointer ring always works :evil2:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's really very pretty. Great job in combining your two wish list items!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous - both your toi et moi and 5 stone! And what a great way to get a mother's ring without it looking like a mother's ring!

Now, if I could only get emerald, aquamarine, pink tourmaline and blue topaz to not look hideous all together! :lol:

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8855.jpeg
IMG_8864.jpeg
IMG_8865.jpeg

LOOOOOOOVEEEEE this omg!!! Yes yes yes. You've made my morning with your story and photos, thank you.

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous - both your toi et moi and 5 stone! And what a great way to get a mother's ring without it looking like a mother's ring!

Now, if I could only get emerald, aquamarine, pink tourmaline and blue topaz to not look hideous all together! :lol:

@RMOO 4 kids? I need to do the same with mine (ruby and amethyst). Should I also add my dog? She's my only girl and hers is beautiful too - opal or tourmaline lol

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Well, that sounds like halos, mama. Halos!:lol:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@RMOO 4 kids? I need to do the same with mine (ruby and amethyst). Should I also add my dog? She's my only girl and hers is beautiful too - opal or tourmaline lol

Yes, four kids. Their birthstones would look horrible together. Plus, truth be told, I really don't care for the typical mother's ring.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Tres chic! It looks so high-end! How does it look with your Dolly emerald ring?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love how the OEC's pop against the green. Gorgeous ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results