shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for asscher owners and admirers

Octagonal82

Rough_Rock
Hello, new here but an obsessive lurker!
I wanted to ask for some advice: I recently did all my research and considered a LOT of asschers, and eventually purchased a 1-carat H/VS2. Before I bought it, I had it taken to an independent gemologist of my choosing, so he could report back on the stone's cut and light performance before I jumped. (I live outside the US.)
The gemologist, who was extremely helpful with all my questions, said in his report that although the table was slightly larger than usual (66%), the rest of the diamond was cut in such a way that it had excellent light performance, and that it was not glassy or shadowy in the middle, which I told him I was very keen to avoid.
It was then set into a beautiful rose gold solitaire ring, and is now in my possession. Just for context, the 30-day money back guarantee has passed, and the place I bought the stone -- A. Fishman & Son in New York -- does not have an upgrade policy.
Anyway, my issue is that while I really love the stone's size and faceting, and the way it flashes and sparkles in the more flattering lights, in some lights (outside on an overcast day, for example) it shows a dark area. Not like a dark ring; more like a cross I guess you could call it. Basically, the edges and corners and windmills stay glittery, I guess because they are the most faceted parts of an asscher, while the bits in between are very dark. These parts then light up in more flattering lighting.
I don't think it's obstruction as when I move it further away from my head it makes little to no difference. However, when I tilt the diamond slightly, the effect vanishes and those part go totally white and bright.
Is this normal, even for a well-cut asscher (which I was assured it was by an independent gemologist who was very familiar with the effect I wanted to avoid)? An I simply noticing a property that is inherent to the faceting of an asscher, well-cut or otherwise?
It's really making me question my choice of stone, but am I worrying unnecessarily? I guess if I knew this happened to others' asschers I would feel better, because I would know that's just part of the design.
The gemologist did say that it was not shadow-free, but that this was a good thing, as without any shadows it would appear "flat". However, it does concern me that in some lights the shadowing is concentrated in that cross shape, rather than evenly spaced out like a zebra crossing-type thing.
Anyway, any words of advice much appreciated!
:)

Octagonal82

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'll take a look. Meantime, if any asscher owners out there could comment I'd be very grateful :|

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Octagonal82|1446669657|3945732 said:
Hello, new here but an obsessive lurker!
I wanted to ask for some advice: I recently did all my research and considered a LOT of asschers, and eventually purchased a 1-carat H/VS2. Before I bought it, I had it taken to an independent gemologist of my choosing, so he could report back on the stone's cut and light performance before I jumped. (I live outside the US.)
The gemologist, who was extremely helpful with all my questions, said in his report that although the table was slightly larger than usual (66%), the rest of the diamond was cut in such a way that it had excellent light performance, and that it was not glassy or shadowy in the middle, which I told him I was very keen to avoid.
It was then set into a beautiful rose gold solitaire ring, and is now in my possession. Just for context, the 30-day money back guarantee has passed, and the place I bought the stone -- A. Fishman & Son in New York -- does not have an upgrade policy.
Anyway, my issue is that while I really love the stone's size and faceting, and the way it flashes and sparkles in the more flattering lights, in some lights (outside on an overcast day, for example) it shows a dark area. Not like a dark ring; more like a cross I guess you could call it. Basically, the edges and corners and windmills stay glittery, I guess because they are the most faceted parts of an asscher, while the bits in between are very dark. These parts then light up in more flattering lighting.
I don't think it's obstruction as when I move it further away from my head it makes little to no difference. However, when I tilt the diamond slightly, the effect vanishes and those part go totally white and bright.
Is this normal, even for a well-cut asscher (which I was assured it was by an independent gemologist who was very familiar with the effect I wanted to avoid)? An I simply noticing a property that is inherent to the faceting of an asscher, well-cut or otherwise?
It's really making me question my choice of stone, but am I worrying unnecessarily? I guess if I knew this happened to others' asschers I would feel better, because I would know that's just part of the design.
The gemologist did say that it was not shadow-free, but that this was a good thing, as without any shadows it would appear "flat". However, it does concern me that in some lights the shadowing is concentrated in that cross shape, rather than evenly spaced out like a zebra crossing-type thing.
Anyway, any words of advice much appreciated!
:)

Greetings Octagonal,

What you are describing is generally the cause of leakage under the table. When the crown/pavilion synergy is on target its possible to note obstruction under the table when the diamond is drawn closer to the face but as you noted would disappear and brighten up once it is at about a half an arms length distance from the eyes. For it to maintain the same non bright appearance regardless of distance from the eyes sounds like a potential leakage issue. A properly taken red reflector image would really show it for sure and/or an ASET against an illuminated backdrop. Would you happen to have either of those?

Kind regards,
Rhino

Octagonal82

Rough_Rock
Hi Rhino,
Thanks for your response. When you say "is generally the cause of leakage under the table" do you mean is "caused by" leakage under the table?
I don't have the ASET report anymore unfortunately as I changed jobs (and therefore email addresses) and forgot to FWD myself that particular email. I'm guessing I can't do an ASET now it's been set?
So is that not something that would happen a bit even in a well-cut asscher? I'm just confused as the gemologist was very experienced and I was so emphatic about avoiding any dark or shadowy areas in the middle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results