shape
carat
color
clarity

A pleasure visiting AGA for an appraisal - kudos to Blue Nile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dpe49

Rough_Rock
My guess is BN is pretty good at a lot of things, particularly marketing. Very good website. Based on their financial statement they appear to be selling quite a lot of diamonds to the masses. "More soup, please."
naughty.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/15/2004 2:46:16 PM lmurden wrote:

All I can say is that when I am wearing the product I've only gotten rave reviews. ----------------

This sounds like you're still missing the point. BN sells a nice product......I'm sure some of their stones are as nice as anything you'd get here. There is *no* dispute that BN has nice merchandise. In fact, I cannot recall threads that say "I won't buy from Blue Nile because their stones are sub-standard."

What we're trying to say is that the PS crowd wants MORE than just the diamond itself. This group wants documentation, they want service, they want to talk to a vendor who can pull the diamond and look at it while on the phone. Because many of the BN stones aren't on site, they cannot do that.

When I called them, they gave me a (flimsy) excuse for why they don't make pictures available, etc. I don't know if that's changed.....someone recently suggested it has, I seem to recall.

What I'm trying to say: They may have the hands on THE most beautiful stone in the world, but if they can't provide buyers who require documentation with any paperwork, they still can't make the sale. If I require documentation and you don't provide it, I don't buy from you. It's that simple. Doesn't mean you don't have the best diamonds in the world.....maybe you do....but I won't buy without documentation.

half-carat

Rough_Rock
I think the WSJ article is here:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x9657.htm

Adlers

Rough_Rock
Just remember when it comes time for servicing that diamond, BN aren't there to service that piece. People seem to think buy and you are done, that is far from the truth. You need to establish a relationship with a reputable jeweler who services you after the sale is done.
How many people get married without meeting that person first? Why buy a diamond from somebody without looking and comparing to a variety of others only you local B&M can do that. You still have to compare but I think if you are a good shopper, you can get just as good a deal.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I don't want a jeweler servicing me at all!!! They can service my jewelry all they want though
2.gif

Seriously... I did comparison shop, and got to see three stones side-by-side (LINK). All from online vendors. And this is much more than any of the three local B&Ms I went to was willing to do. OH, yeah, and minus the attitude.

I hate to pay more to receive the same customer service I get without the price hike. But I REALLY REALLY hate to pay a LOT more for cruddy customer service. I would love to support my local small businesses, but I won't support those that don't treat their customers well!
nono.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 1:46:28 PM quaeritur wrote:

Personally, I don't want a jeweler servicing me at all!!! They can service my jewelry all they want though
2.gif

I hate to pay more to receive the same customer service I get without the price hike. But I REALLY REALLY hate to pay a LOT more for cruddy customer service. I would love to support my local small businesses, but I won't support those that don't treat their customers well!
nono.gif
----------------

Well said. And, they not only have to have comparable customer service, they have to have comparable quality goods at reasonable prices. I find that combo much harder to find at my local B&M's than through the online vendors.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 9/9/2004 9:34:50 PM Adlers wrote:

Just remember when it comes time for servicing that diamond, BN aren't there to service that piece. People seem to think buy and you are done, that is far from the truth. You need to establish a relationship with a reputable jeweler who services you after the sale is done.

----------------
can we please put a stake through this myth once and for all? i have bought gems and jewelry all over the place, online and off, mall and independent, and i have never had problems getting "serviced." when i need work, i go to a jeweler just down the street, and he doesn't care where it comes from--he appreciates my business.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/10/2004 3:26:51 PM CaptAubrey wrote:

----------------
On 9/9/2004 9:34:50 PM Adlers wrote:

----------------
can we please put a stake through this myth once and for all? i have bought gems and jewelry all over the place, online and off, mall and independent, and i have never had problems getting 'serviced.' when i need work, i go to a jeweler just down the street, and he doesn't care where it comes from--he appreciates my business.
----------------

VERY good point. When I go into jewelry stores, they are ALWAYS happy to clean and/or service my items. They make money off the servicing, and are hoping to attract a future customer for future purchases.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My local jewelery store is always filled with people having a link taken out of a necklace or getting Great Aunt Betty's ring resized or having a watch cleaned and repaired, or whatever. I've had them match a missing emerald and pearl on a Victorian ring that my stepfather wanted to give my mother (it was his mother's); set a tsavorite into an antique platinum setting, replacing the head; resize a platinum pearl ring; sell me a chain for my Pricescope pendant; and clean, check and tighten the prongs on my grandmother's engagment ring (which they cheerfully did for free). None of these things were items I had bought from them. In fact, I doubt any of the businesses that produced the pieces are even still in business (except PS, of course). Did it bother my jeweler? Not one bit. They proudly did a beautiful job, charged me a reasonable amount, and went on with their day.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results