shape
carat
color
clarity

A place to verify EGL certs - very cool

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at an auction on eBay and decided to ask the seller why they manually enter so much data from the EGL cert instead of scanning it in, and why they don''t show the crown/pav information.

I was shocked and surprised at his candor....he said I was right on track, that there was usually something wrong with the diamonds that the wholesaler doesn''t want to reveal. The wholesaler will instead get a "consultation", which shows a small EGL card with color/clarity on it, but not much else. He told me he''d prefer to show the whole cert, and went on to tell me that you can check ANY EGL report (which shows full information) by going here:

http://www.eglusa.com/results.htm

If you enter the report #, it shows all the data on the report. Very cool. Helpful for those of you who were having a hard time reading the TINY, TINY print on some EGLs around the net.

BillyMc

Rough_Rock
Is this site only for EGL USA certificates or for all EGL certificates?

Learning Diamonds

Rough_Rock
I was not aware that there are "USA" EGL reports, as well as "other ?" EGL reports.. what is the difference????

riley

Rough_Rock
EGL Labs in the US are more reliable. EGL is less reliable than GIA. Dealers and jewelers that I've been dealing with tell me that a EGL stones will see for less.

Also, I just learned that EGL recently instituted a policy that makes their certs expire after a certain period of time. I don't know what the consequenses of that are. I'm still trying to find out.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That feature works only for EGL NY and LA certs. I want you to know that not all EGL certs expire. From what I know, only pregrading results have an expiretion time of 1 year (many internet dealers use this feature or a consultation because it's less expensive than a cert and the buyer can get a full cert at his expenses).

Giangi

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
The e.g.l certs. are usually cheaper than g.i.a certs. for the reason that they are more leanient in their grading " benefit of the doubt" meanning the if the stone is a border line, they will give it a better grade where as the g.i.a will give it a lower grade. As far as expiration I have not heard anything on it.Except I know their consultations do expire after a certain time,I Think after a year (not sure).I only carry the full report and that doesnot expire.

good luck

1.gif

lookingforastone

Rough_Rock
How can you tell if the LA or NY lab did the report?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What???? EGL New York or EGL Los Angeles are the same thing???? Are you joking??
EGL LA is much stricter than NY branch, especially in its color grading.
EGL LA certs usually start with LA or with 70/71/72/73.
EGL NY certs start with 19/20/21/22.
Also, a few old reports say in the comment section 'Los Angeles/NY and the date'

Hope that helps.

Giangi

highendgems

Rough_Rock
you are most CERTIANLY on crack. the NYC EGL lab is the best EGL lab has to offer. a cert on a higher end (VS) quality diamond or above will be as accurate as any GIA. LA is not even a full lab.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Do you work at EGL? You keep on promting EGL NY so heavily!!! If they have gained a not so good reputation there's a reason!

Summer

Rough_Rock
I found the EGL website last year when I got my diamond earrings. I chose loose stones and my earrings were actually sent to NY EGL after I chose them. I told my jeweler to send them to whoever would be quickest and least expensive. The EGL cert. confirmed what my jeweler told me I was purchasing. The appraiser graded everything the same as EGL cert. except the lab graded one earring as having no flour and the other earring as having faint flour. The apraiser graded one with faint and one with medium. So I feel that I saved some money by using EGL and not GIA and I have no intentions of selling them, I guess if I did a GIA cert. may carry more weight, but this worked out well for me.
appl.gif

Adlers

Rough_Rock
We recently had a 3 carat that was graded by GIA as an H-VS2, it was then sent to EGL in New York. It came back exactly the same grade. I have found some GIA SI2s visible with the naked eye , EGL would call that an SI3. It still comes down to this being an educated opinion. GIAs grading manual is different from what it used to be when I took the course in '83. Then if it were visible it was an I1, now the manual states some si qualities can be seen with the naked eye. I recommend to people to buy what looks good to you, it is still an opinion. If you want to buy a diamond just based on what a report says , even Stevie Wonder could buy a diamond. The reality is you the consumer have to look at it and determine in your own eye how it looks. Remember "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" , truer words were never spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results