shape
carat
color
clarity

A peach sapphire hunt for e-ring

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Hello!

Total newbie here and I am in the market for a very light peach/pink maybe "apricot" colored sapphire for my custom e-ring. I've searched for a few months online and I have checked all the PS referred vendors sites and sent a few emails but it seems that no one has what I'm looking for on hand and wont be making trips for several months or until next year.

Last weekend I was able to chat with Bill Vance at the gem and jewelry show and he had a beautiful pear sapphire in a light pink/peach shade but it just wasn't "the one" for me but at least I was able to see something close (color) to what I'm wanting and I was able to rule out pear shapes. :)

Here is what I'm searching for:

-very light to light peach/pink/apricot sapphire
-8-9mm in cushion/oval shape but I really prefer cushion
-not particular on it being a Pad Sapphire
-I'm hoping to find something that doesn't exceed $3000. Is this reasonable?
-would prefer no heating but not that big of a deal to me if it's the only treatment

I've seen maybe two sapphires at Gemfix that I'm still considering ordering just to view them in person but haven't bitten the bullet just yet because of price or size issues.

I have also included spinels in my search and so I'm not opposed to them but sapphires are more special to me.

If you dig up anything in your resources that might be close send it my way! I appreciate any and all efforts on the search for my perfect stone. :D

S

SparkliesLuver

I understand this shape isn't on your list, but I think it might be pretty difficult to find an unheated, 8-9mm cushion (which is big!) pad-like sapphire for under $3k...which is why I wanted to at least mention this. Plus, it'd leave you with plenty to spend on a beautiful setting.

Brad is wonderful, so I'm sure he'd take hand shots if you're at all interested.

1.38ct sapphire
9 x 5.7 mm
Unheated
$483
http://thegemtrader.com/Aug14OrangeSapphirePage.htm

I'll keep looking. :D

aug14osapphireii.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be tough to find even a heated 8 to 9 mm orange pink sapphire for $3K because the size equates to around 3 carats.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
*this reply got lost somewhere so I'm posting it again*

Yikes. Chrono thank you for the clarification on the mm to cts size. I did not think it would be that large. For my 4.25 finger that is bigger than I'm comfortable with so I need to bring that size down a little. Is there is a price break for these types of stones when its around 1.5-2cts? If so, would that make the $3000 budget more acceptable?

SparkliesLuver I think those colors on the emerald are still a little too hot pink for what I'm looking for or maybe its just my screen. I've been told to expect these colored sapphires to darken just a little when set. The pear is getting pretty close though!

I requested a video for the stone below but it's realllyyyy light maybe too light for what I'm wanting but I am very curious to see how it plays in a video.

At $366.00/gem It's very light pink, 2.44 cts oval cut measuring 8.7x6.6x5.0 mm, v lt incl, from Tanzania. This gem was acquired in a parcel that was listed as originating in Tanzania although we have not seen any sapphires this light in color from that country. Near colorless with a tiny crystal inclusion in the pavilion.

When I saw it I was excited about finding a littler colored sapphire but I'm not sure this would be a worthwhile stone for my e-ring. Thoughts on this?

_35113.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trouble with Pricescope this morning too, so I couldn't type more than what I did. Let's work backwards to the size a little.

8 x 6 mm = 2 ct
9 x 7 mm = probably just shy of 3 ct

A cushion will probably be a bit more in carat weight than an oval.
And yes, there are price jumps at the 3 ct mark so staying around 2 ct is definitely doable.

The stone pictured isn't just light, it appears almost colourless with some brown. What is the exact shade you are looking for? Can you please post example stones that make you go WOW. Ah, I see that the vendor did describe it as almost colourless as well.

ETA
Okay, as I was looking around, 9 x 7 mm could well be 4 carats.
http://www.spectralgems.net/?attachment_id=5369

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Oh, wow. Then, yes, the 8mm x 6mm would be better for me personally.

I spent some time searching online for sapphires that really caught my eye and here are some that resonated with me for their coloring and I included ones that I've saved already.

The last photo another PSer uploaded so I hope they don't mind me using it for inspiration.

I fear my plan to avoid the Pads and their price tags are almost futile. :wall:

sapphire_pink_500.jpg

54e15e6e170db.jpg

array-of-peach-colored-sapphire-tones.jpg

img_9737.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....could do with a slightly better cut. I have heard that David will have a lapidary tweak it a little to close the window, if the customer requests (and pays) for it. It is, however, slightly included.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?792434625

dknorris

Rough_Rock
ChronoI can inquire about the re-cut and see what they say. I think I can handle slight inclusions more than I can handle that "bow-tie" though. Would the recut affect that any?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say. I would say that most ovals will show a bowtie with the exception of a few specific specialty oval cut designs. Bowties also have the tendency to be more prominent with light coloured stones such as the type you are seeking.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
jajabis After watching the videos on the etsy listing I like the second "color in between 3 and 4" but it is reserved. Go figure. :(

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Is this close to the color you want? I purchased this recently from Mastercut Gems. It is slightly over 2 carats, untreated with an AGL brief, and from Sri Lanka- and it was well within your budget. You might ask him to check with his Sri Lanka friend/supplier to see if he has access to more.
It's hard to photograph and the color I see most is the one of the pavilion photo. Any brown is a reflection of the camera.

_35115.jpg

l1050880.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Jajabis|1446231668|3943911 said:
If there is a price, does it really mean it's reserved? ^^.

Maybe contact them and see what is going on!

Also, it looks like he has a lot of the color you're looking for cut. Price seems pretty good to fair on all of them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PristineJewelry?ref=l2-shopheader-name

I've seen mixed reviews about Pristine Gems, so I would check them out carefully.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1446232380|3943917 said:
I've seen mixed reviews about Pristine Gems, so I would check them out carefully.

Agreed. There is colour accuracy issues and for all that he touts his stones are precision cut, most are not well cut.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
pinkjewel :love: That whole set up is gorgeous! Yes, It looks like the color I'm after. Rachelle actually emailed me back last week stating that their contact would not be sending anything new until 2016 and had nothing to show me close to what I wanted. Congrats on that find! Your set reminded me of a three stone engagement ring design that had a halo center and the side stones were bezel with a pave shank, I believe. *drool*

As for Prestine Gems, I was curious about that claim myself knowing what I know now since joining PS. :naughty:

jajabis Speaking from experience on Etsy - most sellers "reserved" listings are truly reserved but still shown in the shop. I emailed them anyway to see what they have. Couldn't hurt.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
dknorris|1446234531|3943930 said:
pinkjewel :love: That whole set up is gorgeous! Yes, It looks like the color I'm after. Rachelle actually emailed me back last week stating that their contact would not be sending anything new until 2016 and had nothing to show me close to what I wanted. Congrats on that find! Your set reminded me of a three stone engagement ring design that had a halo center and the side stones were bezel with a pave shank, I believe. *drool*

As for Prestine Gems, I was curious about that claim myself knowing what I know now since joining PS. :naughty:

jajabis Speaking from experience on Etsy - most sellers "reserved" listings are truly reserved but still shown in the shop. I emailed them anyway to see what they have. Couldn't hurt.

Aw, thanks. I was just playing around with the little pink diamonds to see if I liked the colors together. I'm sorry MCG doesn't have anything else. I'll have to say it took me a while to find one that looked Pad like without the added cost of having the title. What's funny is I took it by a local jeweler that I was thinking of using in the future to set it and she said "oh we have a Pad sapphire almost this exact color". And hers had the paperwork... go figure. Anyway, they are out there and available in your budget, but you might need to look a bit. =)

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1446228351|3943883 said:
Hmmm....could do with a slightly better cut. I have heard that David will have a lapidary tweak it a little to close the window, if the customer requests (and pays) for it. It is, however, slightly included.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?792434625

I got a reply for this one from David (DW):
He said that he will send hand shots for me on Monday and that with the right setting the window should close. The image on screen is about 15x larger compared the actual size. The cost to remove any windowing isn't expensive but it usually lightens the color of the stone and may have less value due to less weight.

I'll share whatever he can send me on Monday.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hers a 6.5mm ish cushion on a small finger. Similar to (though I can't remember exactly) your finger size.

I think it's a perfectly appropriate size for smaller fingers. I'd strive for color in your budget, not size. You're at an advantage here where most stones are going to look sizable on you ::)

_35117.jpg

_35118.jpg

QuantumStuff

Rough_Rock
**edited by moderator. NO selling on PS**

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to have to say be wary of Pristine gems. They sent my daughter a peach spinel, which, while beautiful, had a chip on the girdle - one that you could feel with a fingernail and that showed bright as day with a loupe. When we pointed this out - calmly and politely - the sales associate (owner?) became extremely defensive. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't buy from them, I'm sure they have plenty of satisfied customers but my daughter wasn't one of them.

I looked for a looong time before I found my pads. It's a tricky color and you really have to check it out in person, but it's beautiful.

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Chrono David sent me a hand shot(below) of the sapphire you had posted if you were curious. I'm liking it more seeing it in this picture but it doesn't really make me giddy but I feel like I can't really know until I see them in person...?

Niel You're right. I do have an advantage here with my small finger size. :bigsmile: I looked at what Pearlman's had to offer and they have a few sapphires that I like. I had looked on their site before but must have missed those! Thanks for the link! I have requested more info from them on that stone.

attachment-1.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let us know if they send hand shots I love to see the vendor pics if you get them.

What kind of setting are you doing?

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Niel|1446485200|3944783 said:
Let us know if they send hand shots I love to see the vendor pics if you get them.

Will do! I'm expecting them today.

I'm supposed to custom design the ring and so I'm still trying to decide how I want to set it. I've always intended to do a halo setting in rose gold for my e-ring but I've recently discovered pave settings with a "scarf" band which I really love too. Not sure what the technical term would be but I've attached a photo of the design. I've been doing so much research on this thing I'm starting to get confused on what I really want! I go back and forth a lot. The project is still fun though! I think I'll have a better idea of what to do when I have my stone in hand.

0008128.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dknorris|1446490331|3944819 said:
Niel|1446485200|3944783 said:

Will do! I'm expecting them today.

I'm supposed to custom design the ring and so I'm still trying to decide how I want to set it. I've always intended to do a halo setting in rose gold for my e-ring but I've recently discovered pave settings with a "scarf" band which I really love too. Not sure what the technical term would be but I've attached a photo of the design. I've been doing so much research on this thing I'm starting to get confused on what I really want! I go back and forth a lot. The project is still fun though! I think I'll have a better idea of what to do when I have my stone in hand.

yeah i was going to say, depending on the shape, one thing might strike you more than another.

thats a lovely design, though. how much money is set aside for the setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1446492865|3944838 said:
thats a lovely design, though. how much money is set aside for the setting?

That setting is going to be pricey.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I've also toyed with setting ideas for my peach sapphire. One thing you might want to consider is how close to the color of your skin the sapphire is. I'm thinking mine might need a halo of bright white melee to highlight the color of the sapphire as it is so close to my skin tone. I do think the setting you've shown is pretty, but just wanted to mention the dilemma I'm having with mine.

And I think the MC sapphire is a very pretty color- but I wonder if recutting to close the window would also change the shading of it. Also, since it says it is "slightly included"- what are the inclusions since it says they are easily eye visible?

dknorris

Rough_Rock
Basically, I was told to design my ring however I want and not to worry about the cost but to give him my ideas when I finalize my design ....but I'm also trying to avoid designing a 10k ring as well. 8)

That being said, the designer for that setting is LaurenB and a similar setting for a cushion shaped stone is listed at $2300 in 18k white gold on their website. Does that seem right?

Pinkjewel That totally makes sense and I suspect I'll need a halo with bright white melee as well when it is all said and done since I'm so fair complected but we will see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results